Ole Nasty....

Was that last one a fair bit taller on the hoof than your average feral pig?

I remember seeing some like that a Long time ago in Germany. I was taken aback over how tall they were.

Hybrid tooth - Bogosity

There are some "indicators" of possible russian bloodlines bred into the feral stock. One is a sneaky little "hybrid tooth"...

http://www.hunting-in-texas.com/learnhogs.htm

Scroll down to the "how old is that pig" to see the tooth.

Oh please, hogdogs, not this garbage again. What you are talking about is in no way an indicator of possible Russian blood lines. We went through this in 2009 and it is no more true now than it was then. http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348544&highlight=euro+tooth

You brought it up in that thread and I provided you with considerable information on why the presence or absence of the tooth may occur in pigs and it isn't because of being "Russian." It is because the tooth is vestigial, being lost over time genetically.

I seem to recall challenging you to prove that the tooth was an indicator of bloodline and nothing came from that. If you can prove it, it would be a real feather in your cap given it is a trait that nobody in the wildlife, biology, or veternary sciences is aware of and there are a considerable number of publications on domestic, wild and feral hogs.

By the way, have you noticed that the only references to the hybrid tooth all refer back to the same singluar source? What hog expert studied these hogs and made this unique determination? Do you know? Some online sources refer to your link, but your link and others go refence Texasboars.com and that article is found here ... http://www.texasboars.com/articles/aging.html

You get the same pictures and same text referencing the hybrid tooth as being diagnostic and neither source provides any justification as to how the author learned of this purported trait. It is simply stated as if it is fact from an unnamed source.

The claim is...
To begin there is one tooth that can distinguish something about a hog. The tooth in the picture to the left is not used in the aging process. Not all hogs will have this tooth. Only Hybrid Wild Boar will have this tooth. Hybrid is a cross breed between domestic hogs and the Eurasian Hog (Russian Boar). Domestic hogs or domestic feral hogs will not have this tooth.

Okay, it won't be present in domestic hog skulls. That is stated as a fact, right? So when you find hogs with this trait, you believe it proves that the hog is "Russian" or "Russian hybrid," right?

Here are domestic hog skulls with the tooth.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...lXT9vhHau_2QWk_7T4Dg&ved=0CFUQ9QEwBA&dur=4446
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...8&tbnw=144&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...3&tbnw=186&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0
http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&...tbnw=193&start=15&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:15
http://www.etsy.com/listing/81789603/domestic-pig-sus-scrofa-domestica
http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/digestion/pregastric/pigpage.html

So how is it that all these domestic hogs have this tooth? The article says they won't have them. Well the article is WRONG. Texasboars is WRONG.

Now above I referred to the condition of the so-called "hybrid tooth" as being vestigial. Vestigial means it is an anatomical structure that no longer retains its original form or function and often is being lost evolutionarily over time. However, the actual absence of this tooth (or other dental structure) is called oligodontia. Here is a neat little abstract for an article discussing this very issue. You can order the whole article, but the abstract already tells us that the notion of the "hybrid tooth" as diagnostic is bogus.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/p335h22227u2023m/
Oligodonty (either bilateral or unilateral) was the most common anomaly, occurring in 9 wild (23.1% of the sample) and 15 (50%) domestic pigs. In 22 of the 24 individuals exhibiting oligodonty, this anomaly involved the lower first premolar (P1). Given the placement of P1, oligodonty may reflect a trend toward reduction of the dental arcade from the primitive eutherian number.

The tooth that you call a "hybrid tooth" is the lower adult P1 (first premolar).

I am afraid, sir, that you have succombed to a 'fact' that is nothing more than an internet myth that appears to have its origins on the Texasboars website for which there is no justification. The notion that this tooth reflects anything at all about bloodline or domesticity, being feral, being wild, or some hybrid thereof is without any merit and should not be used as an indicator of being of Russian, wild Eurasian, or hybrid feral-Russian/wild Eurasian ancestry. Its presence only means that the hog isn't suffering from oligodontia of that tooth.

I didn't claim it refers to anything other than being called the "hybrid tooth" and "possible indicator..." No it really don't look I purported it to be anything more than I refer in this thread...

Brent

I didn't claim it refers to anything other than being called the "hybrid tooth" and "possible indicator..." No it really don't look I purported it to be anything more than I refer in this thread...

Well, when you identify it as a hybrid tooth as you did, you are identifying it as a hybrid trait. The thing is, it isn't a possible indicator hog type and it isn't hybrid.
Okay, but it isn't even that.

What's your take on Keg's pictures and questions?

That's a very nice pig and I am digging the excellent skeletonization result of the skull and mandible.

The questions...
Is this just a feral pig? Or is it a hybrid with a lot of Russian/Eurasian blood?
I have always thought the latter....

I am continually amazed at folks' proclamations of spotting, catching, and/or killing of hogs that the hogs have some "Russian DNA" or "Russian genes" or "Russian traits" in them. They will usually pick out one or two morphological traits from the animal that match their criteria for what is a Russian hog. Of course, everyone wants to kill Russian hogs as the vast majority of us in the US grew up with or lived throught the Cold War where Russians were the enemy. Not only are Russian hogs the enemy, but are supposed to be meaner and more aggressive and sometimes people will proclaim a hog to have Russian ancestry based just on it being aggressive. When was the last time you can remember someody being quick to point out that the hog they shot had some Norwegian Landrace in it?

What a lot of folks do not understand is that the vast majority of hogs brought into the US have "Russian" ancestry. That is because the domestic pigs of Europe and Asia are domesticated from the Russian/Eurasian wild boars.

This article goes into a log of detail on the difficulties in properly identifying a hog based or morphological and behavioral characteristics. Many of the traits commonly known about Russian/Eurasian, feral, and hybrid distinctions has turned out to be flat our wrong in some cases and often variable in others. It is a neat article, but I have to question where it was that they obtained their pure feral hog population...as if somebody high fenced a few thousand acres and stocked it with domestic hogs and came back 20 years later to find all the original domestic hogs were long dead, but their several generations of offspring turned into pure feral hogs. I don't see that happening or how the researchers would have known if their pure ferals had been contaminated with more domestic or with Russian/Eurasion lines.
http://agrilife.org/texnatwildlife/feral-hogs/distinguishing-feral-hogs-from-introduced-wild-boar/

While the above article indicates skull measurements to be pretty good for diagnostic/identification purposes, this article says the method has problems. Note that the most recent citation in the above article dates back to 1992.
http://www.secem.es/GALEMYS/PDF de Galemys/16 (NE). PDF/001 Genov 9-23_.pdf

Okay, to confound things even further about Keg's hog, hogdogs noted that it looked like a Spanish Black and has noted hogs in his area have Spanish Black blood. What is interesting to note it that Spanish Black (Iberian Black) hogs are thought to be a hybrid of the introduced Mediterranean breed that bred with Eurasian wild boars, but only Keg thought it looked like it has Russian traits. http://bigpictureagriculture.blogspot.com/2011/03/twelve-heritage-pig-breeds.html

So given its history, Keg's possible Spanish Black or Iberian Black hog would be domesticated and Eurasian wild boar hybrid feral hog. How is that for covering all the bases?

Just as or deer are smaller..the closer U get to the tropics and larger to the north....same with asian boar....
And that difference is called clinal size variation.

Why are these pigs more prevalent in the south, when the northern US more closely mimics their natural environment? They have an obvious aversion to heat.

As a joke when I kill a pig, when accompanied by others, I proclaim it to be a Russian, even if its a fuzzy pokie dotted one. They get all excited and jazzed up, then they get the "just kidding"....and that crushes their soul...LOL

I am not one who sees a trait on any ol' feral hog and sees a "russian"...

I have seen far too many 400+ pound black hogs that are just BIG HUGE BLACK HOGS... No mane... No shoulders that narrow above the axis point to to be a "blade-esque" shape rising above the top of the level hog head...

Slightly tipped hairs say "feral domestic cross"... but half the length of hair being a different color is very much common in eurasian swine.

As for size... hogs will grow... We have pockets of feral domestics that easily hold many large 250-350 pound brood animals... Other pockets seem to top out around 200-250 with a 300 being an anomaly...

Fighters??? Some of the more "docile" catches I have had dogs in were the ones seeming more russian than others... and I am still waiting for a pig with more fight than those young 150# black pigs I mention...

Brent

Wild Boar Facts: Wild Boar Skin and Coat
59. The skin of wild boar is very thick, with pads of subcutaneuos adipose tissue but very little blood supply. It is in effect an armour virtually rendering the boar immune to insect or viper bites (unless attacked in more vulnerable points), or punctures from spiney plants within the woods in which it lives.

60. The boar is nearly completely covered (with the exception of parts of the head and the lower parts of the legs) with rigid bristles.

61. These bristles, mixed with a finer and softer fur undercoat, enable the animal to thermally isolate its body from external temperatures.

62. On the forehead and shoulders the boars mantle forms a type of mane, more evident on some sub-species than others.

63. When the animal is irritated or frightened the mane becomes straightened, rendering the appearance of the boar larger and more solid than reality.

64. The boars winter coat is thick ("folto") and dark in colour.

65. During the spring months the majority of the undercoat and bristles are shed and the boar takes on a lighter colour.

66. The general colour of a boars coat varies according to population and region. The colour ranges from tawny-brown to grey-black.

67. Whitish, although not albino, boar have been known to occur in central Asia. In western Russia ther are many red boar, and in Manchuria there are many examples of nearly black boar.

68. Very rarely (about three boar in every 100 years) adult boars with large and dark mantles are recorded. Such boar are mutations from the more recent crossing of boar with domestic pigs.

Just something I found on boar in Europe/Asia.....

Pure European Hogs

As of 2008, RBL entered the pure European hog business. This new line of animals comes from Brutal Boar Creactions owned by Cody Weiser of Hallettsville, Texas. His stock is believed to be the best bloodline in the U.S.

We will have young stocker pigs for sale, as well as trophy boars when available. This bloodline is known for large tusks and the ability to acheive tremendous size. These monsters will make great wall mounts to add to your collection. They will test the skills of even the best boar hunters.

Every ranch has wild hogs, but not many have the pure European giants that we can provide. Let your ranch be one of the first to offer world class boars to its hunters.

This boar is of European ancestry....(notice..no mane)

Attachments

• appalachian20.jpg
    appalachian20.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 25
This is gonna take some research as it seems little true facts exist on the internet. Many accounts maybe true but its pretty watered down for hunting interests.

The pig in hogdogs pic that I referenced is the closest thing to the pigs I seen wild in German forests. Weather or not Russian pigs look the same I have no clue, never seen any in their homeland.

Rick..It's really not hard to find pics from Europe and Asia......They don't all look alike....Some have manes..some don't....different colors and coats....different coats.....I even found that there are different sub-species....I used to just kill pigs..(I have been more into deer management)..but look at whitetail in Florida..Texas..Canada....They look a little different.....

Used to..a pig was a pig....I wish I had taken pics and kept them yrs ago....
Do striped baby pigs mean anything?

What did the pigs look like before man started poking around with them. Most dogs were similar till we started selective breeding.

As with what your exerpt says "believed" to be purest bloodline.

Last edited:
You can also deduce that the only true Russian, or close to true Russian, can be maintained im north America on closely managed game farms.

We will have young stocker pigs for sale, as well as trophy boars when available.
I don't get it... why would selling hogs to stock your property for hunting make any sense in a state that is, by all accounts I have seen, over run with swine already :confused:

Because big city lawyers will lay down fat cash to kill the legendary wild boar.

I hate when I see those ads.

New "high fence" places pop up every week it seems.

Because big city lawyers will lay down fat cash to kill the legendary wild boar.
Seems to me there ought to be a law against bringing in more of an animal that is already a nuiscance... wouldn't it probably be cheaper for them to round up some of the local feral beasties and let the tourists shoot them? I doubt the "big city lawyers" would even know the difference...

Back