Oldest Rifle?

Last deer season after taking a decent buck with my guide gun I decided to fill my doe tag with the oldest rifle I had. It is a argentine mauser model 1891 made in 1892. It is all original except for the ground crest which is common. It also has a 29" barrel. A button buck came along at about 75yards. (did not know it was a button buck it is legal where I am at to take a button buck with a doe tag) One shot and he went down. Had to aim low because the sights are set for 300 meters. My handload worked well. I was surprised at how quiet the rifle was. must have been due to the long barrel. The rifle is quite accurate. I can shoot 2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with my reloads if I do my part.

I have shot at a few squirrels with a circa 1904 Stevens favorite, using ammo from the 1930s.

Didn't get any squirrels but had lots of fun shooting grampa's gun.

Oldest I've hunted with is either my '46 M44, or my brothers Type 99 Ariska, unsure of its build date.

Shotgun goes to my brothers model 25 Winchester pump.

Springfield Model 1903 Mark 1. Produced in 1918 and chambered in 30-06. Took a couple of deer with it including my first buck. Kicked like a mule.

1898 Krag made in 1901...Grandpa's rifle he gave to me when I was about 14. Hunted a few years and took one deer with it. Despite a sewer pipe bore it still shoots surprisingly well but I haven't taken it hunting for many years.

1916 Spandau Gewehr98 in 8mm. Didn't get a shot with that rifle. Think I was 14.

At age 12, I used a modern NEF Pardner single shot 20 gauge. Missed a doe.

At age 13, I used a 30-30 lever gun. I don't remember what model. I almost killed my dad while unloading it.

At age 15, I bagged my 1st and only buck with a 1946 Remington Gamemaster 141 in 35 Remington.

I still have all of these rifles with the exception of the 30-30. 2 of them will soon be in the hands of the fourth generation of my family.

I grew up hunting with an 1887 Winchester 12 gauge. Took a lot of squirrels, rabbits and doves with it. Oldest rifle I ever took hunting was an 1884 Trapdoor but never got anything with it.

Alex0535, my son just inherited a Marlin 336 in 35 Remington from a member of my wife's side of the family. Not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous of that rifle. It's a 1965 and scary accurate with iron sites.

We'll be sitting 2 strong in 35 Rem when he's able, as i have the gamemaster in 35 Rem.

Last edited:
1907 Spanish Mauser in 7.92x55mm Mauser. I didn't even see anything to shoot at but i plan on using it alot more since I picked up a set of dies for it...

1873(?) Springfield trap-door 45/70,,,

1873(?) Springfield trap-door 45/70,,,
I took a deer with one when I was 14 years old.

The shot was a bit under 100 yards,,,
Little 4-point buck went down immediately.

I can't tell you how many squirrels, rabbits, and rats I took with an 189? Winchester pump chambered for .22 short.

That was my very first fiery-arm.

Aarond

fox with a hammer Husqvarna 16 gauge, hence my name
first "game" I took,
had shot rats and magpies/crows before
the old man I hunted with only gave me one shell because he only wanted me to take a sure shot

or an roedeer with a sauer drilling

both probably around 100years old

Back