Oldest Rifle?

This is a cool thread but it needs more pictures here's my 1897 Winchester I took to South Dakota pheasant hunting on it's 100th birthday in 2008.

Oldest centerfire rifle is my Savage 99, chambered in .300 Savage, made in 1936.

Oldest rimfire was a friend's Winchester bolt action .22, made probably in the 1920s.

Oldest shotgun was my Dad's early 1950s Ithaca Featherlight 12 gauge.

The oldest rifle I ever hunted with was a California made muzzleloadeing rifle that came from the Sacramento area and was dated in the 1850s.
However I didn't get to fire it at a deer. I hunted with it, but didn't kill any game with it.
So I am not sure that counts.

The oldest gun I ever shot small game with was my first revolver, an original 1851 Colt Navy.

The oldest gun I ever used to kill any big game with was my old black powder frame Colt SAA 45 revolver, made in 1889 I killed 2 deer with it.

The oldest rifle I ever killed a deer with was an original 30-40 Krag 1896 rifle.

A marlin 336 from the 1950's in 35 Remington. It's my go-to deer gun. It's not nearly as old as many in this thread but I like it, my grandfather and father hunted with it. It's a heck of a close range deer stopper.

It's going to be either my 1938 Mosin, got a nice whitetail last season, or my dad's Remington 1917. I used my dads 1917 to get my first deer. I'm not sure of the date on his, it was an old armory rifle they bought years ago in his home town when he was in his teens. Him and his brothers all bought one each, I think for $25. They burned up all their money in the Herters catalog, sportster stocks and had a local machinist turn of the rear sight ears and DNT them for scopes. Dad still uses it every year for hunting, guessing he hunted with it for over 50 years now.

Last edited:
My .32 Winchester Special made in 1926 ;) Even bought another rifle so I could retire it but I never could,,,,too attached! ;)

My first "deer" rifle. ENFIELD NO. 5 MKI JUNGLE CARBINE. Dated 4/47, the month, and year of my birth. Brand new, in cosmoline..........$35!!!!!
Trading it for a Hakim several years ago was one factor leading to rule #1.:D

Nothing to old. Father borrowed one from a neighbor for me to use when 9 or 10. Winchester model 1894 25-35 carbine. A well used deer rifle. No clue when it was made but it was indeed old looking. Couldn't use pops rifles. All 4 of his Winchesters were 1886 models. To much gun and caliber/s for this skinny kid to handle back then.

Oldest centerfire was an 1895 Krag - a DCM carbine. .30-40 Krag loaded with 220 gr Hornady RN at moderate velocity. I never did get to bag anything with it. Every time I had that rifle in my hands, the animals were 400, 500, or 1,200 yards away. :rolleyes:

Oldest rimfire was/is a Springfield (Stevens) Model 56 bolt action .22 S/L/LR (produced between 1933-1945). I picked it up dirt cheap at auction, tracked down a reasonably-priced replacement bolt, and was very pleasantly surprised to discover that it's a shooter! And with .22 CB Shorts, it's quieter than most pellet rifles (due to the 24" barrel).
I haven't taken it out much, but it has claimed quite a few squirrels, a rabbit or two, and at least one aggressive cat.

I have a very nice 1947 M36 Marlin 30-30. It's the rifle version with the short mag tube, 24" barrel and a Williams receiver sight. No deer with it yet but a few hogs and some varmints.

I have a Model 1873 Winchester in .38-40. It was made in 1891. Shot a deer with it a few years ago. Blood trailed that deer for over 500 yards. Couldn't find it.

old, but still working

A "Faux" 1909 Argentine Cavalry Carbine (1908 scrubbed Brazilian action w/ a 1909 Carbine barrel & stock) in 7.65x53 Mauser, that I built myself. Less than 2" MOA @ 100,
last season was the first time out (no glory). Before that I used a 1893 Spanish Carbine in 7x57 Mauser mfg'd in 1921. Those cartridges are 1889 and 1892 respectively. :cool:

roy reali,

I once (4 decades plus ago) hunted WTs with a friend's Model 1895 Winchester lever action in .303 British caliber.
(I only collected a 100+# dressed-weight feral hog on the trip. - Didn't even see a deer.)

yours, satx

My dad gave me his Model 1897 when he got his 870, and I inherited his (and my grandfather's) 1890 and 1892. I hunted with the 1897 and 1890 but never the 1892 .25-20.

I have an Arisaka Type 99 that I drag out to the woods every once and awhile when I have a deer tag. Never taken a shot with it, but it could stop a deer, if I met one.

I have hunted with my old Marlin M1893 .38-55. It is a shooter and has bagged white tail, pigs, and a turkey.

Back