Oldest Rifle?

1903 Springfield, originally a .30-03 rifle, rechambered to '06 in the '50s. :eek: Never took anything with it.

1950 Tula SKS - Many rabbits, squirrels, and bumblebees have died in the sights of this rifle.

1952 Winchester Model 25 - Pine chickens, clay pigeons, and some marmots lost thier lives to this scatter gun.

Remington 513T "Matchmaster" on squirrels and rabbits.

Ancient aperture and globe target sights aren't great for hunting but I made it work.

8X57 Mauser, Sporterized. 1916 Amberg rifle. Apparantly a war prize. Pretty beat up but it fed us several elk and a whole bunch of deer in the early 60's.

:D:D

Ken

My P-14, .303 British. Shot a cow moose with it.

I have a 1900 dated receiver on my mosin-Nagant M-91 and an 1871 Mauser that is dated 1876, I believe. I haven't hunted with those two, yet. Maybe this fall once I get some good loads worked up.

Killed my second deer at age 16 with a sporterized 303 Enfield, WW II or earlier, can't remember much about it. For a while I hunted with a guild-made Mauser 98, marks buffed off with light engraving, lightweight stock, half-octagon barrel, a really sweet little rifle. It was in 9 X 57, a fine cartridge for deer in heavy cover.

All original 1925 Remington Game Master .35 Remington pump. Blew some pretty big holes in a few hogs as well as blowing a few nutrias in half. With original open sights.

Remington model 14, .30 Remington

My first "deer" rifle was as above. I never took an animal with it. My Dad traded that rifle away when I was a teen, but as I got older, I wanted an example of the model for that very reason, and so I set about finding same.

I was fortunate to find an example in the correct caliber, .30 Rem. Very early rifle, a four digit serial number, which puts it's production year in 1912-13. The correct rear sight was missing, but I was able to come up with a combo that got it to point of aim, and have taken it afield on several occassions. Have never taken a deer with it either, though I did pass up a doe that would have been duck soup. I needed to get to work, and the hassle of calling in was not worth a nanny. I swear, when I leveled the old pump on that deer, I believe I felt the rifle tremble. Or maybe it was me?

My eyes are nearly to the point that I cannot run the diminutive bead and blade sights as well as I need to for all but the easiest shots. I intended to hunt the rifle this year, but never did.....again.

If I ever do spill blood with that rifle, now at age 104, I will post same!!!!!

This was my 100th hog off one one parcel of property....I have since shot my 500th off of the same property using this 73 Winchester SRC in 44/40. It's still a youngster at just over 130 yrs. old. I don't use it for all the hogs, just occasionally.

Springfield Trap Door 45-70,,,

Springfield model 1873(?) Trap Door 45-70,,,
Took a spike buck with it in 1965.

It was a bit of overkill I will admit,,,
But I only had to follow the blood trail about 6 inches.

Aarond

I hunt squirrels with an antique English double barrel flintlock shotgun. around 20 gaugeish. No makers name on it. Only English proof marks to identify it. Not really any choke, impossible to miss squirrels.

I hunt squirrels with an antique English double barrel flintlock shotgun. around 20 gaugeish. No makers name on it. Only English proof marks to identify it. Not really any choke, impossible to miss squirrels.

:cool: I'd like to see pics of that one.

Here is a picture Hawg. The stock has had some oil rubbed on it but other than that its pretty much original.

Attachments

• mms_picture.jpg
    mms_picture.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 63
I have an 1899 Remington Lee issued to the Michigan National Guard in 30-40 krag. Took a spikehorn whitetail with it two years ago. It has been sporterized and rebarreled with a nos barrel some years back. Still open sites but accurate.

My dad has one in original condition and took several deer with it back in the 70's. Not bad for 117 or so years old.

The question should be "What is your newest rifle?". Right now I have only one newer than the 40's. It is an AR I put together years ago. Most of my lever guns are pushing 100.

People look at me like I am nuts when they see me in the field with my India built 16 gage percussion double.......The Damascus barrel is getting thin but not too thin yet......

Back