Oldest Rifle?

roy reali

What is the oldest rifle you have ever hunted with? I don't mean reproduction guns, but actual, old rifles. What cartridge was it chambered for? Did you harvest any game with it?

An all original (not sporterized), near mint conditition 1891 Argentine Mauser chambered in 7.65x53mm.

Have taken two whitetails with it. Awesome rifle and very accurate!!!

an original trapdoor, 1873 carbine, 45-70

My father had hunted as kid with his fathers muzzle loader. It came from sweden in the late 1800 when my grandfather was a young boy, his parents thought indians were still on the rampage in Minnesota and sent him along with his rifle. I believe he had it stored in his bureau somehow.

My brother still has the gun but it shoots a 8mm ball, so its really only good for bunnies and the like.

I have an original 1873 Springfield Trapdoor .45-70 Serial Number in the 280K range. I shoot only Goex black powder in it, and soft cast original 500gr Govt bullets. I have killed several mule deer with that rifle. I also have a Smith Carbine (1850's) that was converted to .50-70 that I have shot, but have not killed anything with. I just got an 1842 US musket that I plan on shooting this hunting season.

How did the Springfield trapdoor .45-70 end up in Sweden?, and even more curious, how did it get converted to 8mm?

Oldest rifle is an original 3 band Enfield dated 1861. Took it hunting a couple of times but never got a shot. I have taken doves and qual with a 1840's vintage SXS. I grew up squirrel hunting with an original 1887 Winchester shotgun.

trap door is a separate gun from the muzzle loader. I have the trapdoor. which my grandfather bought during the depression for 2 dollars. My brother has the muzzleloader, was made in Gotenberg it shoots a small 8 mm ball. like a .32 cal squirrel rifle.

Last edited:
I killed my first deer when I was in college. I borrowed a 1917 Enfield from my landlord and shot one through the neck at 75 yds with the stock peep sight.

I got a nice moose with my Winchester Model of 1917, barrel dated 1/18. I take it out every season but I have to rotate between my other moose guns, some Enfields and a SS Ruger, so they all get a chance.

The M17 really shines with 220gr Federals (30-06).
Enfields in .303, been playing with 180gr Sierra Pro-Hunter bullets and loads.

Last edited:
1892 Savage Stevens Favorite Serial #453. I last hunted squirrels with it around 1980. It was my great grandfathers first rifle. I haven't fired it since the late 1980's.

The oldest rifle I hunted with was an early 95 Winchester in 30-40 Krag. Plain and unadorned yet it always shot to point of aim with the original V-notch open sight. But it was sold in for much needed cash when my second daughter was born with medical needs. So it goes.

I hunted several days before sighting a buck. After a short sneak, I shot a young blacktail buck with forked horns in Eldorado Nat'l Forest, California. Distance was about 80 yards or so. The buck dropped in its tracks.

Jack

We hunted squirrels with my Father in laws Model 4 Rolling block Remington. Made somewhere in the early 1900's chambered in .32 rimfire. Shoots great, didn't take anything...

I also have a Smith Carbine (1850's) that was converted to .50-70 that I have shot, but have not killed anything with.

WCQ,
From what I can remember there are 2 Smiths from that area. Is yours the one that uses the rubber cased cartridge?

My 1894 is dated to 1905 and is the only central fire I use when the smoke pole gets to heavy. I took my 1st and then many more whitetails with it.
I have a carbine from the 1860's that will see some field time one of these years. I shoot this old barnical but the trigger pull is upwards of 25lbs and I don't want to change anything on it.

1901 Swedish Mauser. Took a large doe with a newer (1941) version of same gun but with a shorter barrell and sights set for 100 meters.

I went pig hunting with my friends Win 1886 .45-90 but I didn't get a shot, other than 4 or 5 plinking shots. He told me I could use it anytime, I'd just have to pay for the ammo.

That's when I got smart, went out and bought my Marlin .45-70 ;).

A long time ago I used to use a Mk III Enfield, made some time before WW-II. The bore looked like a sewer pipe and I never managed to hit anything with it. :o

Back