OK, what dog breed meets all these criteria for both hunter and pet?

For me it's got to be the Brittany great pointer good all around hunting dog but most that I have had just don't like water.They will go in up to there belly and that is it. Had one Lab dumbest dog I have ever owned.Had him trained took him duck hunting and he would bring back the decoys :confused: Would see a pheasnt cross the yard would take him out put him on the scent would look at me like I was nuts and walk away.But he made a great house dog the only thing that made him move was food.And did a great job of keeping everything off the end tables with his tail :) And WOW could he snore would sleep in the bathtub at night ever hear a dog snore in the bathtub.But then he liked to sleep on the floor next to me and that was even worse. :eek: And as far as keeping the BG away they must have got sick of tripping over him and put him in the celler.And yes this is all TRUE

Well, thanks to this thread, I took the plunge. One 7 week old Catahoula now resides at Casa Luci.
Rich

Attachments

• home1?_web.jpg
    home1?_web.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 54
  • sleepy_web.jpg
    sleepy_web.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 50
  • crate_web.jpg
    crate_web.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 46
Rich, you'll have to keep us posted on how your Catahoula pup progresses...

My traveling companion below is 1/2 Catahoula Cur Hound, 1/2 St. Bernard. (Don't ask how the mating happened) Those big webbed feet are really something, and if I was a wild pig being trailed by the big oaf, I'd definitely be concerned.

Housebreaking was quite easy, no crate training, and he'll retrieve things almost up to his body weight (@100 lbs, last time he saw the vet). He's also the first to hop into my truck and sit in the passenger seat, regardless of where or when I'm going... ;)

berniewetnose.jpg

Well despite my love of Ridgebacks, and owning two of uncertain parentage, I cannot recommend them as water retrievers, or really retrievers of much of anything. Some I've seen will point, but they don't know they're doing it. However, if you want a great dog for all your choices except the last two, a RR will fill the bill. Just make sure they're an indoor dog. They really do suffer in a penned environment. They are highly social with their human pack. Great sight hunters if you want to run game to ground, but if they can't see it move, well, it ceases to exist to them.

Attachments

• IM003999a.JPG
    IM003999a.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 31
Gewehr-
Very handsome dog. And a realy interesting mix. I'll bet he's gentle as they come.

This one seems to be owning up to the Catahoula name. At 7 weeks old, we've had exactly one "accident" in the house. He'd never been intorduced to crates, but seems most at home in one, so long as my shirt is in there.

He's also learning commands like "sit" and "touch in" far quicker than I'd expect of a pup his age. Even tempered and quick bonding. I started rudimentary tracking exercises yesterday, getting him to scent for bits of his noon meal in the grass. He caught on to the game right quick.

I'll keep him for about 8 weeks; then back to the breeder where they have a couple of champions, plus hogs and coon to teach him the ropes.
Rich

Doggie Updates

Ok I see these are 8 months old now. How is the progress going for these pup's and working dog's. Also any owners of standard poodles as hunting buddies report in. Photos are a +. I almost bought one but the wifey said the silly (or maybe not so silly as per this forum) circus harcut image would just make her laugh at him/her all day. I told her that a dog can be groomed in other ways but it was a no sell. Now have two monsterously cute but utterly useless toys doggies. There's compermise for ya';)

I really love Catahoulas. They really are an all-around breed. I'd check into one if I were looking for a dog. Obviously they can hunt, but they are also good protectors. There are police agencies here in La. that use them. There are also Catahoulas that compete in Schutzund(spelling?) trials.

I think its called a .........

I saw on TV the other day a breed i think they called a ''snoop dog'', it had a funny walk but could stand upright somewhat and could almost speak.Pretty ugly breed in my opinion though.:D

Update on The Mighty Hussar

Sorry gang, I haven't been around lately. But I do have occasion to add back to this thread, especially now that people are asking for an update.

As of this month, Hussar has earned four passes on his hunt tests, and has earned his AKC Junior Hunter Certificate! I don't know if everbody is up on what all that's about (and I wil readily defer to any old-time AKC folks out there), but basically at the Junior level, you answer the question "Can that dog hunt?". Well in Hussar's case, the answer is yes

I did participate in a fair amount of training this past year (heck, I needed it more than Hussar ;) ), but even so, Hussar had four passes in four tests; I think he's quite the natural. The breeder also think Hussar is a show dog, since he is rather a striking specimen of the breed, so we might get into that. He needs more obedience training before he can step into the ring, so we'll be concentrating on that this next year. Still, I'll be taking him to my club's hunt test training so he can go for his Senior certificate, he has been pretty much training at that level all the time.

In short, I am very pleased with Hussar.He is quite the companion, and he only barks when there's really something on the other side of the fence, so he's a good watchdog, too. Now that I have had one for a year, aI can now recommend without hesitation the Vizsla breed to my fellow TFL'rs, especially those here in the desert southwest that need a shorthaired breed that won't heat up so fast, or for that matter, shed on the couch.

Back