OK, what dog breed meets all these criteria for both hunter and pet?

It would appear that the Weimaraner and the Vizsla are physical, and tempermental, cousins of sorts. Indeed, I was considering a Weimaraner initially in my quest for a hunting dog, but wasn't sure if anyone was actually hunting them anywhere on theNorth American continent.

As far as teaching, because of the nature of bird hunting here in Arizona (quail, chukar, some pheasant), I'll be teahing him (amd me!) to point first.

I have a fantasy of making him into a "lion" dog someday, but I guess I would need a pack of Vizslas first. :D

When that day comes, I'll let everybody know. Look for further posts from me soliciting advice about huntings dogs. In the meantime, Hussar is a great, affectionate companion, AKA "The Prince of Poop" and "Puddin'head" when he gets into things he's not supposed to. :eek:

AF, great! Can you post or PM me some of the best Vizsla breeders in the US and Canada, if you know. I found a bazillion of them, but it's hard to find really good ones. I want a short list of breeders that at a minimum:

1. Do OFA and CERT certifications on all parents of litters (all dogs)
2. Have a 3 year+ health guarantee
3. Require ownership contracts
4. Specifically state their breeding priorities as follows: Hunting/working ability, health, temperament, and lastly conformation/body structure qualities, in that order.

IOW, a *serious* breeder that loves the breed and thier working ability more than money. And I'd be particularly interested in a breeder that thoroughly socializes for you and starts puppies on lead training, as well as offers hunt training services. Preferably in the southern or midwestern US.

Ditto Weimaraners.

PS. "Hussar" sounds like a handful! :)

Last edited:
FF, I'm afraid I only dealt with one breeder, and she was here in Arizona. I asked someone who had a Vizsla, and they recommended Marge Mehagian. Several hits on the web indicated she had bred numerous champion caliber dogs, so I went with her. Even so, she does not meet your stringent criteria, but I am not so sure how many would.

For everyone else who might be interested in a Vizla, particularly in the SouthWest, I will give a run-down of my experience.

Both parents were AKC registered and certifed. Indeed, they were "titled" champions of various sorts. There was a one-year health guarantee. There was a guarantee with respect to "conformity". There was a contract with the breeder; we cannot "nip" ol' Hussar's 'nads without consultation and permission (just in case she wants to breed him), and if we cannot keep him, he goes back to the Marge. The birthing was attended by a vetinarian, and she has a long-standing relationship with this vetinary office. Shots, deworming, etc. are peformed aggresively, and the puppies were well-taken cared of. We got Hussar at two months.

There was no statement of priorites per se, but I will tell you we told her our priority was a hunting animal first, and a companion second. She does tests on the puppies to see which ones are the "birdiest" (basically, who's interested in the bird wing). Hussar went pretty crazy over it. We basically got the pick of the litter in that respect, as we wanted a male and a hunter; the rest of the waiting list had other gender preferences and priorities. Apparently quite a few people pick this breed for companionship. However, our breeder is president of the local Vizla club, and it does have a great emphasis on hunting. It sponsors training, field trials, and assists owners with raising a good pointing dog.

Piles of puppy poop notwithstanding :p , we are having a good experience with our bundle of joy. :)

That sounds like a good breeder and a great dog, AF - I'm sure you'll enjoy him for a long time to come. She's certainly a lot better and more thoroughly than most breeders. That kind of hunting/working empasis is what I'm looking for. I have one dog with bad hips though (who was supposedly from a "top" breeder), so I'm careful about requiring OFA (hip/elbow) certifications now. Perhaps CERF cert. is not as important with Vizslas, if they have no history of eye problems, however. The ownership contract just shows a general level of seriousness and good "breeder-ship", even if it has no practical effect on you (however, having a non-neutered male CAN have a practical effect, in that it's gonna be chasin neighborhood bitches in heat, obviously!). Thanks again for your wisdom - I'm looking forward to getting a Versatile Hunting breed; probably Vizsla!

Well, retreivers are awesome, be they chesapeake, flat-coated, labs, or goldens, and are some of my and others' favorite breeds, for good reason. And from the right breeders, all can be had with good hunting abilities. But as I said, I'm looking for something that has a bit of a harder edge on the protective side of things. And, one that is extremely versatile, being able to be taught to point, retrieve, track, etc. But I dunno - tell me about chessies....do you believe they're known to have a better protective instinct than their retriever cousins (lab, golden, flat-coated)? I'm thinking right now that the Vizsla, Weimerainer, or possibly a GSP is the way to go.

Lets not forget the "hunting bred" Oorang Airdale. I have one named Loki.
He runs about 80lbs. He will hunt Pheseant right along side my Chocolate lab
Chuck. He also likes to run down coyotes and dig up badgers!

Wiemees are great dogs, but be prepare for a life companion, there is a reason they are know as velcro dogs. They always want to be around their master.

Black labradore(SP?).....I did not hunt with him but...

He loved the water and outdoors....and was a great retriever :)

PS it was even the salty stuff near Galveston, he didn't care :cool:

I would suspect that a chessie would be a good choice. They are truly tough, rugged, big dogs with a ferocious retreiving drive. They also have the tendency to be gaurdians, which is almost unique among retrievers. I have encountered two owners of chessies that the dog would not let any strangers near the truck. one of the two wouldnt let the owner near. they have a coarser nature than the lab. the reasons why you would want a chessie arethe exact reason i would not. no biting for me.

German Shorthaired Pointer

The best of the best. Study the litter and pick an Alpha male. Once he figures out that you're in charge, you will have one huntin' ,loyal, protecting fool on yer hands. They love their home and families and can dispatch anything from a coyote to a BG. They will point birds at 10 weeks and retrieve at 14 weeks.

can ya tell i have one!

good luck, most of the breeds mentioned are good choices.

Wiemees are great dogs, but be prepare for a life companion, there is a reason they are know as velcro dogs. They always want to be around their master.

I'm down with that - so much the better. :) Thanks again all - I will seriously consider a GSP - they are beautiful as well as talented. The large and small Muensterlanders are REALLY pretty - but alas, I'm sold on short-hair for a house pet / all-purpose dog.

You guys make me nuts. Put my Aussie down after 15 years in 2003. Now you come up with this thread.....well, you convinced me (sorta).

Just put a deposit down on a Catahoula. (I hunt lots more pigs than birds). :D
Rich

Attachments

• LouisianaCatahoulaLeopardchy3.jpg
    LouisianaCatahoulaLeopardchy3.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 72
Another vote for Weimeraners. They are the all around hunting dog. Labs and Retreivers are great dogs as well but for a gun dog and protection nothing beats the Wiemeraners. That is exactly what they were bred for. They can be a little noisy and have energy in abundance but if you're an active person looking for a great companion as well a steadfast protector the Weimers are hard to overlook. What dog do I have? I have a Doberman Pinscher :D . Great sight hunting dog, fast, friendly, and protective.

I too like Dobermanns and Belgain Malinoises as favorites for guarding the homestead, but I can only have so many, so I'm looking for an all-purpose dog. :) Rich, you've GOT to replace your companion. A Catahoula sounds good.

1BadF350 said:
Rich I wouldn't get that one...someone spilled ink all over him.
Oh, that's cold Cowboy! ;) (Not mine though).

This breed reminds me of Aussies 20 years ago, before the AKC "recognized" and ruined 'em. The variations in coloring caused them not to even be recognized as a "breed". Hell, I didn't even know mine WAS an Aussie Shepherd until a trip out west. With the puppy mills that have sprung up, Aussies are being bred into genetically engineered, walking cripples. We did it to German Sheps; we did it to Dobies.

Catahoulas, though....they still seem to be pretty much overlooked and the best breeders are staunchly Anti-AKC. Variations in markings are extraordinary.
http://www.bulldoginformation.com/catahoula-leopard.html
Rich

Good for them...the AKC is a veritable joke. The ONLY criteria for AKC registration is that the parents were AKC registered (and pay their fee, of course). There is *nothing whatsoever* examining/testing:

-health
-temperament
-working ability

in any way, shape, or form. Nor is there any examination of the sacred "conformation". Don't even get me started about the AKC and "conformation" to the physical breed standard as the primary breeding goal. :mad: Yap, the puppy mills have ruined MANY breeds over the years. Cocker spaniels used have a good retrieving ability. The list goes on and on...

Back