Obama and Guns: Two Different Views

Unregistered wrote:
I would never vote for Obama but at least he is not a war monger.
He sounds pretty warmongerish to me:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...g02,0,5330469.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed

"I understand that President Musharraf has his own challenges," Obama said. "But let me make this clear. There are terrorists holed up in those mountains who murdered 3,000 Americans. They are plotting to strike again. ... If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf will not act, we will."

<snip>

Teresita Schaffer, a former State Department official with responsibility for the region and now director of the South Asia program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said that an overt U.S. military strike inside Pakistani territory would be a particular blow to Musharraf, who is a military leader, and could well lead to his ouster. It also would bolster leaders hostile to the United States in both the struggle for national leadership and local control of the tribal areas, she said.

"Once you have made that kind of operation, everything connected to the United States, even more than before, is believed to be the enemy," Schaffer said. "You've probably created a safe haven that works even better than before."
Pakistan may be a marginal ally in many ways, but making it even more marginal, or losing it completely, doesn't help.

Back