NRA- To join or not?

"..if we flat out won..."? That is just not going to happen. We could win big in Heller and there will still be anti-gun forces out there pressing us and pressing for "reasonable regulation" consistent with the "compelling state interest" and "strict scrutiny" standards applicable to regulations related to constitutional rights.

There will always be people who are afraid of guns. There will always be a significant number of people who think that private citizens ought not to be able to own guns. There will always be people who believe that the ability to wield force should be the sole province of the state (and criminals). There will always be significant anti-gun pressure. And there will always be fights about regulation. First Amendment free speech and free assembly rights are well established and entrenched, and yet there continue to be laws enacted that are subject to challenge as violating the First Amendment; and there continue to be substantial and significant freedom of speech and freedom of assembly litigation.

Flat out winning is not an option.

"If we won... if we flat-out won... they'd be out of jobs "

Nonsense, the NRA runs many programs related to education, training, research, shooting matches, range planning, etc.

John

its not about what they can do for you, its about what you can do to protect the 2nd Amendment.

If you care about guns, and believe you have a right to defend your home, then you should join.

NRA members are carrying most gun owners on our backs, which is flat wrong.

If we loose our rights, all those cheap sob's that wouldn't pay the $35 (less than .10 cents a day) will be screaming, but when there was still time to act, they did nothing.

kiov

"If you live somewhere else, take a look at the multi-million dollar headquarters building they built with members' money, then decide."

You think they should work out of a trailer somewhere down a dirt road? How about out of your basement?

This is a national organization. In any case, how much of the $15 million they spent on the building in Fairfax came from the sale of the old building in D.C.?

Here's another question I'm not going to answer for you: How much is the current worth of the building in Fairfax? Bonus question: Was it a good investment?

John

I believe it's every gun owners duty to join a pro 2A organization. I happen to believe that the NRA is the best one to join due to their political influence that no other group has, and due to the fact that they have done more for our gun rights than anyone else by a long shot (no pun intended). But some people seem to really dislike the NRA for one reason or another, so I would just say to those...

Do not let your dislike for one 2A organization keep you from joining/donating to another! If you refuse to join the NRA, then join the Gun Owners of America.

By the way, any benefits that you get from joining an organization (aside from the benefit of your gun rights) are secondary. If you get something out of it extra, great. If not...well, the NRA does not exist just so you can get a discount at a range, etc. Think BIGGER

By the way, I see many people complain about all the mailings (and perhaps rightfully so), but just as I did, it only takes a 2 minute phone call politely asking them to take you off their mailing list and they will do it without any argument or hassle.

They'd rather complain than look at the FAQ on the NRA site that explains how to get on the DoNotPromote List.

John

I once got irritated that they kept sending me notices that said; "Act fast, your membership is about to expire!" up to six months before my membership was actually due to expire.

I wrote them an e-mail asking if they were trying to scam people who may be confused by such things. They wrote me back, said they were sorry, and I have not seen one of those misleading mailings since then.

One way to look at it . . .

You are either helping to pull the wagon, or you are in the wagon, expecting others to pull it for you.

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?

A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

I've been a member for years but always year to year. In fact I timed my renewal to a local shooting even and my renewal always got me in for free ($35 - $10 discount - free admission = $13). This year I bit the bullet upgraded to life membership. It my age it's not a good deal financially, but I felt it was my duty if I'm to do my part to save all of our freedoms. That's my 2 cents.

NRA membership ????

I've been a life-member ever since I was drafted, which is more years than I can to remember.

Whether membership provides you with value is something only you can decide.

As others have mentioned there are is good and bad about the NRA.

I like to shoot service rifle and DCM matches, most gun clubs / ranges in my area require NRA membership as a pre-condition, so it has value to me.

Your mileage may very.
:)

Last edited:
This is a national organization.

Except for CA.

You need to start checking your facts before posting.

Here's just one example, this one from the NYTimes:

"Published: November 11, 2005
A day after San Francisco voters approved a ban on handgun possession and firearm sales, the National Rifle Association sued Wednesday to overturn the ordinance. In 1982, a state appeals court nullified an almost identical ban on the ground that the city cannot enact an ordinance that conflicts with state law allowing the sale and possession of handguns and ammunition."

Just about every rifle worth a darn is banned. All magazines over ten rounds are banned. You can't get a pistol unless it is on the government's approved list. Try getting a CCW in this sorry state. Lead ammunition is banned for hunting just about everywhere in the state. And that is just for starters.

And you think because they got the handgun ban in San Francisco overturned that it makes a difference? I could have gotten an outright ban overturned...

I can't even get a company to ship an AR-15 stock wrench to me here...and the NRA does CA good? I don't think so...check YOUR facts.

Don't get me wrong, the NRA has done some fine things....for the rest of the country. I was a member for many years...CRPA, JPFO, LEAA, GOA, etc. etc. And all I saw was my freedoms in this state being whittled away left and right and no end in sight. I just figured I would quit wasting my money. :D

This year, NRA membership is just $25. Some gun makers have even offered free membership with gun purchase (Taurus ALL of 2007).

The NRA does more than any organization to promote gun education. THAT ALONE IS REASON ENOUGH TO SUPPORT/JOIN THE NRA, IMO. Eddie the Eagle, for example has promoted gun safety to many millions of children. It has trained more LEOs than any entity combined. It promotes everything from gun rights to responsible gun ownership, and more.

You make the NRA by getting involved, showing support and by giving your money.

So, if for some reason you feel you may gain little more than a magazine subscription, other will benefit...greatly!

and the NRA does CA good? I don't think so

Alas, the NRA, the SAF, the GOA...none can "do good" so long as the good citizens of California insist on electing state and local officials whose hostility to liberty is so enduring.

I fear that the dependency culture so pervasive in California may be slowly filtering in...if we get officials in Ohio similar to those in California, I for one will know whom to blame: the fellow I see in the mirror.

Respectfully, and with sincere regard,

Walt

Back