NRA- To join or not?

dazedkraut

Inactive
Recently I have been considering the benefits of joining the NRA. I'd like to get some feedback- both good and bad on what others think. I do NOT want to start any argument on this thread, just looking for honest feedback on any pros and/or cons the NRA has provided or not provided for you. Thank you for honest comments, not chest pounding!

My advice would be to go to the NRA website. Look around and judge for yourself whether the things the NRA does are something you approve of, e.g. support for LEOs in the way of training, legislative support, etc.

Can they stop government searches?

In addition to any opinions people give to me, I also wanted to know if anyone knows about the rumor I have heard that once you're an NRA member it prevents the government from running certain searches/snooping on you. Any truth to this? Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction?

There’s no down side to joining the NRA, imo. There may be difficult times ahead and although not perfect they’re the best advocates we have. My experience with them over the years has been positive.

dazedkraut, as to "...once you're an NRA member it prevents the government from running certain searches/snooping on you...", I very much doubt it. However, it is my understanding that the NRA vigorously protects its mailing list and membership lists. In other words, no one is going to find anything about you from the NRA. That doesn't mean that information is not available from other sources.

There are many good reasons, IMO, to joint the NRA. Among other things, it is one of the most effective voices supporting gun owners' rights. It is effective primarily because it as a large membership; and the larger its membership, the more effective it can be. In my experience, in the world of politics, being heard is pretty much a numbers game. The larger an organization is, the louder its voice and the more likely it will be heard and its views taken seriously.

There's lots of information out there for you to learn before you decide. There are very few down sides as far as I'm concerned.

Take a look at all the programs they offer: http://www.nra.org/programs.aspx

If you do decide to join, I'll sign you up for only $25 instead of the usual $35.

That offer stands for any TFL member - new members *and* renewals. PM or email me for details.

The NRA is much like any other large organization, including the government. It does do some good things and then breaks its collective arm patting itself on the back. Then, depending on your personal views, it may do some very bad things such as the recent Charlie-Foxtrot with gun-grabbing members of congress to pass what is euphemisticaly called the "NICS Improvement Act," which is actually better described as polishing a turd.

As you already have been told, many clubs and ranges require NRA membership before they admit you to their facilities so, in that respect membership is a good thing. I am kinda luke-warm about the "benefits" realized from NRA membership but it just amounts to a $35 (or $25) increase in my club dues. I also get a monthly magazine (which is ok) and twice-weekly ads from companies affiliated with the NRA or from he NRA itself (I did mention they tend to pat themselves on the back, didn't I?)

The one thing that cannot be denied about the NRA is their power at lobbying congress. AARP and the NEA con only dream of having the clout the NRA exhibits in the halls of congress and in State legislatures. If I were in your position (and I once was) I'd join but I wouldn't expect anything paricularly wonderful to happen because of it.

Good luck.

Nobody else comes even remotely close...

For over 130years the NRA has been the prime organization for shooters and sportsmen. Virtually ALL hunter safety programs were developed supported by the NRA. The NRA is regarded as the authority when it comes to Hunter safety and general gun issues. Many states do not recognise safety training is it is not certified by the NRA.

The NRA is a big organization, with millions of members. They offer many, many benefits, including insurance that you will find hard to get from regular incurance companies. NRA mambership is a requirement for many clubs and ranges, and if you ever want anything from the DCM.

A few decades back the NRA had to do something that they had never done intheir 100year history. They had to become a political organization. Nobody else was there to look out for our interests. They formed a "seperate" branch, the ILA (Institute for Legislative Action) in order to be legal lobbyists. The NRA is the 800lb gorilla of pro gun groups. Politicians recognise them to be a factor to be reconed with. Other pro gun groups are out there, but none of them is as important to the politicians (or the fight to keep our rights) as the NRA.

Many folks on the Internet bash the NRA (and I never ever heard anything like it from progun people, until I got on the Internet), because they are upset that the NRA has not won every battle. They are upset with constant requests for money (and they do ask often, because there is always some new legal threat to defend against), and they often feel that the NRA is always screaming that the sky is falling, and needs help. Well, needs must. The NRA funds many court challenges against gun grabbers, and while we do not always win, we always have to pay. Nobody else has (or is likely to have) the resources to do this. Unlike some anti gun groups, the NRA is not bankroled by a billionaire with dreams of social engineering. The NRA gets it's money from its members, who come from all segments of society and all income brackets.

The NRA is run by people, fallible humans like the rest of us, who are trying to do the most good for the greatest number. Sometimes their decisions are very tough, as no matter which way things go, someone will be upset. Not everything has always worked out to everyone's benefit, but I think we are better off with them than without them, by a long shot.

The NRA works for us, and while not perfect, it is the best we have, and over the years, they have protected us from as much as they could. The NRA operates at both the national and grassroots level, and is made up of ordinary people like you and me. The only requirement for membership is join and pay the dues (and for what you can get, it is cheap). There is no bacground check, no credit check, no political "litmus test", anybody can join, just send in some money. Even some cynical politicians have joined, just so they can claim to be NRA mambers. The first Bush joined before getting elected, becoming a Life Member (it costs a few hundred dollars, pocket change to someone like him), and later made a big show of "resigning his Life Membership" when he thought it was to his political advantage.

The NRA is open to everyone, you don't even have to own a gun! In fact, I know one person who is a life member, and owns no guns at all. He just thinks that the issues they defend are important enough to support them.

Join. It is worth it. If you don't think so, don't join, all the anti gun groups, and all the Democrats that lost their seats in Congress in 94, and everyone like them will be glad if you don't. They would much rather have to deal with a weak NRA, with few members. It makes pushing their political agenda easier.

Permit me to add this thought:

If every gun owner in the country were a member of the NRA, there would never be a peep in Congress or anywhere else remotely threatening infringement on the Second Amendment.

In numbers be strength. If the NRA had 40 million members, instead of 4, we could close down these political forums and focus on firearms ;) .

Regards,

Walt
Benefactor Life Member, The National Rifle Association of America

strength in numbers

becasue the NRA has so many members it is able to offer small shooting clubs insurance coverage at affordable rates. The lower rates get passed back to you in lower range fees. Without shooting club ranges the ability to find a place to shoot would be at the mercy of some private range with higher fees. In many locations a private range would never open its doors as it just would not be financially feasible.

When you shoot at a club range that has NRA insurance you will recoup your NRA membership in a short time through lower range fees.

If every gun owner in the country were a member of the NRA, there would never be a peep in Congress or anywhere else remotely threatening infringement on the Second Amendment.

In numbers be strength. If the NRA had 40 million members, instead of 4, we could close down these political forums and focus on firearms.

That pretty much says it all.

There are eighty million gun owners, but only 5% belong to the NRA. I am one of them.

Will you join me?

strength in numbers

becasue the NRA has so many members it is able to offer small shooting clubs insurance coverage at affordable rates. The lower rates get passed back to you in lower range fees. Without shooting club ranges the ability to find a place to shoot would be at the mercy of some private range with higher fees. In many locations a private range would never open its doors as it just would not be financially feasible.

When you shoot at a club range that has NRA insurance you will recoup your NRA membership in a short time through lower range fees.

I gave up my membership, when I realized all their communication was propoganda type stuff that bordered on paranoia, rather than rational, mature, fact-based arguments (which is where we win).

I'd rejoin in a heart-beat if their communications weren't so silly and immature.

But if Hillary/Obama win I'll hold my nose and rejoin....... Even though I'm a liberal.

rather than rational, mature, fact-based arguments (which is where we win).

Yeah, well, except the other side wins the emotional argument ("It's for the children!" "If it saves just oine life!").

When Cathy & I were at Bisley Camp in 1999, we happened into the Club House looking for the lady's loo. Whilst waiting for madame, I struck up a conversation with a couple of fellows, and commented that I was a member of the US NRA, so though not the UK NRA, the NRA nonetheless.

I was taken aback when one of the fellows said rather vehemently, "You're a member of the REAL NRA! Ours hasn't done f*ck-all!!" That's a direct quote.

Made me proud to be an American :cool: .

Regards,

Walt

Last edited:
Yeah, well, except the other side wins the emotional argument ("It's for the children!" "If it saves just oine life!").

So why would we need to go down to their level? Just because someone else is using irrational, emotional jibberish, doesn't mean you have to respond with it.

Besides all the good stuff mentioned

I recently joined due to a special promotion and recieved this really Macho ball cap that boldly says "NRA". I first tossed this in the closet with all the others but realized that hat really says "I may be a red neck gun carrying SOB so don't screw with me". Kind of like my Harley decal on the back of the truck, it carries a certain message.

Now when I travel to areas that may be a little on the rough side it's the hat I grab to make a statement. I just hope the Bad Guys got enough education to read "NRA"

Back