New scam (don't fall victim)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magi said:
Peetza, its a scam. Seriously.

Did you miss the several posts where I acknowledged that possibility?

From my first post:

Peetzakilla said:
I doubt that it's "Walgreens" specific. A pharmacy is a pharmacy. Besides that, it's not even pharmacy specific. The nearly identical scam goes down regarding baby formula, gasoline, milk, food.....

It's also sometimes NOT a scam. We have people come to my church asking for money all the time. ALL-THE-TIME. Sometimes, it's a scam. Sometimes it's not. We always assume that it MIGHT BE, while simultaneously trying to show that it's not, so that we can help people in need. We're not naive. We don't give people cash, EVER. We also don't turn people away because they're asking in a way that might be suspicious or different than what we would do. We do everything we can to help everyone we can help.

KingEdward's action were completely legitimate. Personally, I would have told the guy that I'd meet him at the pharmacy and go in with him to cover the difference. That would have completely solved the issue. It would be instantly clear that it was either a scam or not. However, KingEdward is not obliged to do what I would do. He acted in a reasonable way, consistent with a responsible armed citizen.

I came really close to responding that I would be willing to follow
him into the Walgreen's and help him out as I don't mind helping
in certain situations.

The main reason I responded as I did was that he seemed agressive
to me and intent on not moving his vehicle until he got something.

The people I have helped in the past have been humble and very
non agressive and when I have needed help I'm the same way.

I wouldn't block someone's vehicle and insist they come talk to me
with hands flailing.

We don't give people cash, EVER. We also don't turn people away because they're asking in a way that might be suspicious or different than what we would do. We do everything we can to help everyone we can help.

That's outstanding. It is easy to become jaded in charitable giving because it is inevitable that someone will take undue advantage of what you offer. You accept it and move on to the next person you can help. You know that on the whole you are doing good and helping people

I don't believe these on-the-street panhandling transactions, where all that is given is cash, are charity though. If one gives another enough money to OD, he's not really conferred a benefit.

KingEdward did well NOT to engage the panhandler further by offering to go in to the store with him. Asking him to move his vehicle accomplished the task of finding out whether it was a scam or not far more quickly and, I would add, with far less contact than would have been required if he had chosen to offer to go into the store with the panhandler.

I just think it's kinda odd that people tell me their kids are sick and can't afford their medicine. Go to Meijer, Walmart, etc. where they're either free or $4. If you still can't afford the meds, get on medicaid for the kids and have medicaid pay for their prescriptions.

The only thing that clearly suggested a problem to me was that he boxed you in. That was aggressive and *really* not acceptable behavior. If it had not been for that, I'd say that he could have needed help, or he could have been scamming people. But someone who is trying to intimidate you or control your movements should be presumed to be up to no good.

zukiphile said:
I don't believe these on-the-street panhandling transactions, where all that is given is cash, are charity though. If one gives another enough money to OD, he's not really conferred a benefit.

I agree. The only way someone is getting straight cash from me is at gunpoint.

Magi said:
KingEdward did well NOT to engage the panhandler further by offering to go in to the store with him.

Indeed he did, if that's the way he chooses to handle the situation. Personally, I want to help if I can help. I'll tell the guy that I'll meet him at the pharmacy. I'll park right at the door of the place, and try to be out of my vehicle and headed in before he gets to me. I'll wait inside the door, visible to employees and cameras. I'll follow the guy to the pharmacy counter, wait for the transaction, wait for his money to come out, and then I'll pay the difference. Problem solved. If he even bothers to follow me to the pharmacy then I have gone 90% of the way to confirming that it's not a scam.

However, like I said, KingEdward (or anyone else), is not obliged to do as I would do. So long as the reaction is sane and cautious, then do what you want to do. No judgements from me whatsoever.

Xyas said:
I just think it's kinda odd that people tell me their kids are sick and can't afford their medicine. Go to Meijer, Walmart, etc. where they're either free or $4.

If only it was always that easy. My wife was on a prescription that was required to keep our unborn child alive. It is so unusual that we had to order it at least 7 days ahead of picking it up.... and it cost over $750 a month at ANY pharmacy, if they could even get it. "Sick" doesn't always mean a $4 antibiotic.

If only it was always that easy. My wife was on a prescription that was required to keep our unborn child alive. It is so unusual that we had to order it at least 7 days ahead of picking it up.... and it cost over $750 a month at ANY pharmacy, if they could even get it. "Sick" doesn't always mean a $4 antibiotic.

I understand that. I guess I wasn't talking in the context of the situation as I was with actually working at a pharmacy. As a soon to be pharmacist (4 months) I get a lot of people that complain to me saying how they can't afford their kids prescriptions when there are options available for them to get them for free/cheap. Your case was probably a very rare condition where as most cases are for antibiotics and pain meds. What really gets me mad is when people tell me they can't afford their kids medications yet they have a case of cigarettes, 2 fifths of alcohol, and a gigantic bag of dog food with them but that's entirely a different rant.

I guess in context with the situation, you could always ask what medication it is. If they have no clue, you busted them. If they tell you and you feel like being helpful, you could tell them you'll meet them in walgreens and pay for it when they get to the checkout. I HATE giving people money directly because you never know what they're going to do with it.

In the end, you handled the situation very well.

Last edited:
Here's my (pretty much scripted) response to these kinds of approaches:

"Hey, sorry to hear about your trouble. You know, the county has a program to help you out with that, let me call a deputy (police officer) who will be glad to help you."

My home county actually does have a procedure for referring legitimate needs to appropriate help agencies and I have discussed the issue with my county sheriff's office. They agree that this is a valid approach. They also agree that somewhere in the neighborhood of 99% will immediately depart the area.

I think most other locations have such help available for the really needy.

Of course, the approach should be significantly and more firmly different depending on the aggressiveness of the approach.

I often carry a few cards from the referenced agencies, but don't get the chance to hand them out much :rolleyes:.

YMMV, of course and I agree that the OP did quite well, indeed.

Best,

Will

Last edited:
KingEdward,
You were being "interviewed". It was a good choice to stay clear of the vehicle.

General note (and you've all heard this refrain from me before).

In situations like this it is VITAL that you keep scanning the area. If it was a team the drive would have done everything to be the center of attention while the other guy(s) snuck up on you.

I have a standard response that I don't hand out cash. I'll offer to call for help or I've also offered to buy someone their meds/some food/etc. and EVERY time the response has been "oh f***ing never mind" or some variation.

Last edited:
My point of view is this....If he dose not have 10 bucks to finish paying for his child's meds then he cant afford to drive that gas guzzler.

I say scam...don't care what you say....it is a scam.The OP did a great job in defusing a potentially dangerous situation.
And all this crap about "legit reasons" is bull to.hes in a 40k truck asking for money then when told no leaves in a whole different direction of drug store.
Seems to me you were being sized up."Great job" in conducting your self in a
professional manner.

KingEdward did everything right with the information he had available and his radar went up for some very good reasons. Much better to be safe and alive then to get sucked into this guys drama. You dun good!

The only thing differently that I would have done:
I would not have gotten into a conversation with him, other then to request that he move his vehicle. By doing so, would cause me to be distracted from another possible threat.

thanks. Thinking back to the event, my mind was moving forward towards
what I needed to do if he put the truck in park and got out and headed towards me. Or what I would do if he pointed something at me and I couldn't determine what it was.

Or where I might retreat to on foot should I feel the need to not stay near or in my vehicle.

I literally could not have left safely in the vehicle due to vehicles on both sides and behind.

The progession in my brain was less (how can I help him and what must his little girl be going through) and more what do I do next if he doesn't move and he progresses by exiting his truck.

Not to start up situational awareness recycling but he must have seen me go in and then saw where he could block my car in. I do not remember that truck when I went in, but it could have been fairly close. When I say it happened fast, I mean that when I got my key in the door to unlock it, his truck was not there but in the second that I opened the door and was about
to climb in, I looked ahead and there he was blocking me in at that point.

javabum said:
My point of view is this....If he dose not have 10 bucks to finish paying for his child's meds then he cant afford to drive that gas guzzler.

I say scam...don't care what you say....it is a scam.The OP did a great job in defusing a potentially dangerous situation.
And all this crap about "legit reasons" is bull to.hes in a 40k truck asking for money then when told no leaves in a whole different direction of drug store.

Your point of view is just that, YOUR point of view. You have no more facts than the rest of us. We all have the same suspicion that this event was a scam, or worse. However, to claim that there is NO CHANCE that it was legit, that there is NO legitimate way that a guy could have an expensive truck and be FLAT BROKE, that there could be NO legitimate reason to not go back to the drug store is just ridiculous.

Though not a new scam, its a variation on several old ones. In a situation like this awareness and distance are your friends. Stay safe and remain vigilant, always.

I had the same guy hit me for $20 for "gas money to get back to Delaware" on two successive trips to Annapolis a couple of months apart.

He didn't seem pleased when I told him that he should make damned sure he has enough gas to get back BEFORE he leaves Delaware.

But, I never felt threatened by him.

Though not a new scam, its a variation on several old ones. In a situation like this awareness and distance are your friends. Stay safe and remain vigilant, always.

Well said. I have never seen a "legitimate" aggressive panhandler. We have some in Portland area that hang out on freeway onramps. A reporter discovered one couple brought in over $200K in a single year just from panhandling. They had a nice house, cars, etc. and special "poor" clothes for costumes.

I cannot imagine a responsible person going up to a stranger in an aggressive manner in order to beg for money. Most of us if we felt we had no other choice would approach another person with respect and assurance of no threat, and ask politely even if emotionally agitated.

Also, who would ask strangers for $10 bucks but not family or friends unless they have destroyed those relationships as well?

Anytime a person panhandles aggressively from me I consider them at best a nuisance and at worse a potential threat. A common ruse used for muggings is to engage the victim in conversation (begging, directions, etc.) in order to get close, then spring the trap. I dismiss aggressive panhandlers curtly and make distance to end conversation. Any stranger that shows me no respect while making a demand/request will get little in return.

Your point of view is just that, YOUR point of view. You have no more facts than the rest of us.

It's not possible to have all the facts. Only common sense.

What happened wasn't a scam. It was an act of aggression.

One legitimately in such a predicament acquires the money from friends or neighbors before going to the pharmacy.

WHAT HE DOESN'T DO IS DRIVE TO A PARKING LOT, BOX SOME ONE IN, AND AGRESSIVELY DEMAND THEY APPROACH HIS WINDOW SO HE CAN HUSTLE THEM FOR MONEY.

Should have been a 911 call. Not the non-emergency number.

Interesting how some are making excuses for him. Flat broke or not, his tactics were aggressive and a good tactic to precede a robbery.

Just my thoughts on the matter.:cool:

Last edited:
Your point of view is just that, YOUR point of view. You have no more facts than the rest of us. We all have the same suspicion that this event was a scam, or worse. However, to claim that there is NO CHANCE that it was legit, that there is NO legitimate way that a guy could have an expensive truck and be FLAT BROKE, that there could be NO legitimate reason to not go back to the drug store is just ridiculous.

Just let it go peetza. You made your point. Many posts ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back