NEW Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39

Good enough for most people to find something that'll work for what they want/need the 7.62X39 to do. Most people who buy the 7.62X39 are buying it for the cheap ammunition. The majority that handload will be looking for something to hunt with, and there are enough options to handle that.

And there's cheap steel-cased 154 grain soft point ammo.

BBarn said:
I believe the action is too short, preventing the ejection of a chambered round (though it might eject an empty case).

I believe you would be wrong. The ejection port on my Ruger Ranch .300 BLK is 2.765" measured with calipers. The factory COAL for 7.62X39 is 56mm or 2.205". So you have a full .56" of room for a factory loaded 7.62X39 to eject, assuming of course that Ruger didn't change the dimensions on the action from what I measured.

Talking about this rifle in another chambering in this thread has been frowned upon. I'll start another thread.

I disagree with the notion that only people interested in cheapo ammo would be interested in this chambering--I have two weapons chambered in 7.62 x 39 and hand-load my ammo for both of them.

Would it be nice if Ruger had made this rifle compatible with AK mags? Sure, but AK mags can be of very varying quality and some may not fit in the rifle. I'm just happy they made the rifle to use Mini-30 mags cuz Ruger could have easily said "F that" and used a rotary magazine that was proprietary.

mags

AK mags...really? The AK and AR have hi-caps because of auto and semiauto fire, but on a sport bolt rifle......10 rds seems a stretch, and a simple 5 would suit me. It wouldn't bother me if the RAR had a flush, blind magazine similar to the Savage Hog rifle or the Rem 700 ADL. You can't loose the dang thing, or leave it at home, or in the truck, etc. Plus an 30 rd AK mag is a heavy and awkward thing, and would project from a bolt rifle right at the balance point where I would want to grasp for one handed trail carry. I read one can use an AK mag as an impact weapon.....you could finish off your hog with the empty mag if it came to that!

I disagree with the notion that only people interested in cheapo ammo would be interested in this chambering--I have two weapons chambered in 7.62 x 39 and hand-load my ammo for both of them.
It is not a custom rifle.They need to sell thousands or even tens of thousands, not hundreds or dozens.

Wow that is an ugly rifle.

16976.jpg
I agree, Drobs. That "ribbed for her pleasure" skelton rib look has got to go. Not sure why they couldn't have just made a smooth poly stock with pressed checkering?? Maybe in black??

I agree, Drobs. That "ribbed for her pleasure" skelton rib look has got to go. Not sure why they couldn't have just made a smooth poly stock with pressed checkering?? Maybe in black??

I will say though, cosmetics aside, this could spell trouble for the CZ-527. CZ needs to step up their game and make the CZ-527 compatible with AK mags. It's the only way.

Those will come in time I think, but the 7.62x39 is a far more popular and common cartridge than both of those combined.

Probably December for prices to go below $400. I don't think the excitement will wear down though. There are people, myself included, that think the 7.62x39 is a phenomenal cartridge and want rifles that are more accurate than an SKS or AK, but don't want to spend more than what an SKS or stamped AK costs.

With the Ruger American's track record of excellent accuracy, I think it will prove to be so popular that Ruger will come out with an AR in 7.62x39 by the end of next year or the next presidential election.
I'll bet with the x39 RAR, we'll see a lot more options in .311 bullets. Hornady already makes a .311 SST in a loaded round that can be easily box up for the reloading market, as well as their other SP rounds in .311 already available.

Comparing the x39 to 300BO, I would assume there will be more RAR's sold in x39 in short order. I don't know what the size of the 300BO market is, but the x39 market is already huge. I would think that a relatively inexpensive, accurate rifle like the RAR would boost the x39 market for reloading components, and has the potential to grow faster than what 300BO has grown. I was looking at the 300BO RAR and was thinking what a good deer rifle that could be. In x39, I would also get a cheap plinker too. I just hope the x39 will prove as accurate as the 300BO RAR rifles. Waiting on reviews to decide.

I wonder how long it'll take Mossberg to come out with their version? :)

Back