NEW Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39

That the RAR in 7.62x39 is a 311 and not 308 barrel. That and the Ruger mini mags for it will be a winner for sure.

Thanks for the info.

They made this with inexpensive steel-cased ammo in mind, I guess. I know that is the case with CZ 527.

Yeppers on the Ruger mini mags. 5 round, 10, 20. Take your pick.

How much will we be able to get one for when the excitement wears down? How long will it take for excitement to wear down?

I'd love to see these in 6.5 Grendel and 6.8SPC.
Those will come in time I think, but the 7.62x39 is a far more popular and common cartridge than both of those combined.

bricz75 said:
How much will we be able to get one for when the excitement wears down? How long will it take for excitement to wear down?
Probably December for prices to go below $400. I don't think the excitement will wear down though. There are people, myself included, that think the 7.62x39 is a phenomenal cartridge and want rifles that are more accurate than an SKS or AK, but don't want to spend more than what an SKS or stamped AK costs.

With the Ruger American's track record of excellent accuracy, I think it will prove to be so popular that Ruger will come out with an AR in 7.62x39 by the end of next year or the next presidential election.

Nice looking rifle!

Agreed that irons would be nice, even if I'd fit a scope (1-4x?).
Also agree the 527 seems to be a good alternative too!

Anyone know what the bore size is on these? Is it .308, .310, or .311? Will make a difference on what ammo the rifle may shoot well and be most accurate with.

The heck with 7.62 x 39--if I were getting a ruger ranch rifle--it would be without a doubt their new 450 bushmaster chambering. :D

Hmm, I have mixed feelings about 311 bore. Great for factory combloc surplus ammo, not so good for handloading as .311 bullet selection isn't great.

precision shooter said:
not so good for handloading as .311 bullet selection isn't great.

Good enough for most people to find something that'll work for what they want/need the 7.62X39 to do. Most people who buy the 7.62X39 are buying it for the cheap ammunition. The majority that handload will be looking for something to hunt with, and there are enough options to handle that.

Available .310-311 bullets at Midway

Hmm, I have mixed feelings about 311 bore. Great for factory combloc surplus ammo, not so good for handloading as .311 bullet selection isn't great.

Perhaps they think the target market are less likely to be handloaders...

.311 bullet selection isn't great.

While I don't disagree, sometimes I wonder if we make too big a deal out of this. If you can find a couple bullets that do just what you want, does it really matter whether there's a hundred other choices out there that you're not gonna use anyway?

Just my thoughts.
Typical Ruger bolt. No open barrel sights. This one fills that nitch in the American model line-up I'm thinking. I suspect. When the American models became available. The whine heard!! across the US coasts to coast why no Russian 7.62/39 offering? You fellers finally got your wish. Yep. Another super accurate soup can shooter. As for me?
I have little interest in the purchasing of any center fire rifle shorter in OAL than my leg.
Again. "Just my thoughts."

Sureshot

This gun will fill the niche very well. You don't need a whole bunch of bullet choices when it is mostly a 200 yard gun. Majority of people don't reload for the 30-30 either. It is not a target gun.

Steve.:rolleyes:

Wow that is an ugly rifle.

16976.jpg

I hope it does well for Ruger. But with the cheap ammo long gone, I have no interest in the firearm as is. My interest would be in converting it to 357 maximum for deer hunting in states where straight wall cartridges are the only centerfire rifle option.

They already make a bolt rifle in .357 magnum. Is it possible to just load the bullets longer in maggie cases to duplicate maxi ballistics? Or barring that, would it be easier to ream the chamber a little deeper?

I believe the action is too short, preventing the ejection of a chambered round (though it might eject an empty case).

Ah. Hadn't considered that. Possible to open up the ejection port while you're at it, or does the bolt not even travel far enough back?

Back