New puppy for home security.

MLeake:

Lab/Pointer mixes (English or German) are robust dogs that look stouter than you think they would, given the lab/pointer inputs.

They make a great dog. My FIL had a male GSP (Ten, see him in my previous post) who got friendly with a neighbor's female chocolate lab.

Junior (one of the male pups) had lab size and GSP musculature. IOW, he looked like a chocolate body-building dog with a very broad head. Junior was right in the middle, temperament-wise. He lacked a lab's laziness and a GSP's frenetic energy. A fine, friendly mutt.

Of course, lab/APBT mixes are very common, too. I'd say more lab/pointer mixes in the country and more lab/APBT mixes in the city.

Unless your dog is attack-trained, his key role is alerting you to trouble ... my beagle is a wus, but he's as loud as an air raid siren (does that date me?) when somebody walks past, comes to the door or sneezes within 100 yards of my house ... of course he also barks at the deer we have constantly in our front yard, birds in the back yard and at our patient cat ... dogs are great friends and great warning devices; I highly recommend them ...

i have a boxer/black lab female that weighs about 65lbs. she is all black except some white on her belly. looks mean, but isnt. scared the pizza guy off the porch, scares solicators, nieghbors kids. she is a great deterent without showing any aggression. i will always have a dog of medium to large size for security reasons and my little girl just loves her 4 legged sister.

Back