New members - please introduce yourselves here

Hi all.

Hi. I'm new to the forum but cannot be described as a Newbie. (rather a grey haired old fart. lol)
Been shooting the occasional rabbit or possum here in NZ for 40 yrs or so but decided that pig/deer are the new quarry. Well before I get too old & creaky in the joints. Bought a 243 to add to my 22 & 17HMR. My new purchase is a Zastava M70 with stainless barrel. Inexpensive but hopefully a accurate rifle. Time will tell. I welcome any feedback or comments on my new rifle guys.
I live on a small lifestyle property near Dunedin, Otago. A one hour driving radius gives me some good spots for pig and deer. Looking forward to getting out & about. Cheers all. :)

Howdy!

Dad taught me to shoot when I was 5 with the kick you in the pants if you do anything stupid method. Grew up on a farm in N Jersey, but now down here in FL where it is downright dangerous. So this old lady has taken up a revolver and renewed her interest in shooting. So far getting some range time, but will progress to CC soon. My neighbors house 20 feet from my bed was shot at and they pull a body from the canal behind my house about every year or two so I have reason to be concerned. I would like to learn as much as I can about defensive/CC as well as my new little friend Ruger!:)

FNG

hey everyone!! I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hello. I'm in the military currently deployed and will be getting my Sig M400 Enhanced when we get back. Figured I would ask what kind of optic and other gear I should get right away. I've looked at some Sightmark red dots (trying to keep it low cost). Mostly used for home defense/target shooting. Thanks!!!!

Hello, I Just joined the forum and have always plucked some information of this forum here and there since I purchased my first gun when I was 21 (Sig Sauer P220). I've been gun guy since I was a young lad thanks to my Dad taking me hunting and shooting and I look forward to pursuing all my favorite guns.
1911 -Wilson/Nighthawk
Sig Sauer P220 *
Remington 870 *
Benelli M4
LWRC M6IC
Noveske 16" GEN III Rifle
LRB Arms M14
Surgeon 591 Short Action .308 on a McMillan Stock.

New member and newbie gun owner

Hello all just joined the forum and learning a lot. I just moved to Canton,OH from Florida and got the bug from family members. You ask yourself why would you move to Ohio from Florida?.Lets just say I had this sinking feeling my house was sinking and it was.We had a sinkhole and said this is enough after 37 years putting up with the heat and humidity,bugs and sinkholes. All my family is here so it was time to move. Anyway the crime rate in this area is nuts and I felt the need to protect my family and myself. I just bought a S&W sdve40 cal and a Bersa 380. Also intend to get my CCP as soon as I get a little more practice at the range. I have used forums for many years from My Harley riding (just sold my ultra:(... So I will be an active user here and enjoy reading everything I can to learn more of this great hobby...That's all folks

Harleywood:)

Hello TFL

I am Curtis and I settled in VA after 6 years serving this great country in the USMC. Semper Fi to all my fellow Marines at TFL. I joined this week and have already am impressed with the civility and willingness, in the post if have read so far, of the forum members to discuss differences in opinions. My passion in firearms these days center around muzzle loaders. I own three, a side lock .54cal. Renegade, Thunder Hawk .50cal., and an Omega .50cal., all are T/C. The .54 was my Grandfather's which he gave to me just months before he passed away. Raised in southeast AR, I have been hunting and shooting since I was around 10, before that I went squirrel hunting (using a dog) with my Father and older brother. I was a good vine shaker or noise maker to get the squirrel to "roll' or move so they could find it or to get a better shot. Not as good a shot as I used to be but I can still shot some small groups.

Hi friends! I got the biggest kick out of Harleywood's intro. I was born just down the road from Canton, OH but have lived in Florida since my parents dragged my brother and me here at age 8 (a gazillion years ago). So I can tell you all about sinkholes even though the wife and I have not had any problems. But we have a big, old one on the back part of our 5-acre parcel. And we suffer through six months of heat and humidity so that we can enjoy fall, winter, and early-spring.

We live about ten miles from the nearest town so we really don't have any crime to speak of (and we hope to keep it that way). Shortly after we moved out here - about 25 miles north of Li...I mean Gainesville - we purchased a S&W model 60 in nice used condition. I'm not going to live in an isolated place like this and rely upon the sheriff's department (no complaints about them, really) to help in case of an unwelcome guest.

Even though this area is firearms-friendly (we hear gunfire frequently), I had never even so much as shot the S&W until about a year ago. I had owned handguns back in my younger days but had sold them long ago. Since last Christmas, we have purchased a Springfield XDm 9mm, Ruger SP101 .357 Mag, and most recently, a SIG P938 Equinox. I bought the XDm for the wife for Christmas but she had trouble working the slide. So it became mine. The Ruger is hers. We both joined the NRA right after purchasing the Springfield. We have been to the range a few times and are looking forward to getting out concealed carry permits after the first of the year.

So that's our story and we're sticking to it. Very happy to be here. As I said in my first post (regarding a good, small range bag), gun people are GOOD people!

Ah, I found it... the "Introduce yourself here" thread. Sorry but this isn't my first post haha.
Starting to get a lot more interested in firearms, reloading, collecting, etc... Have a few long guns and 1 measly pistol. Just got my C&R and have my eyes set on a few guns already. Will probably have myself a couple of early Christmas presents this week.
I only have 1 range near me, actually 2 within 45 minutes. One is an "un-managed, open to the public, please put your $2 donation in the box" range... and its a crummy one, and the other is a club. Never been to it so I dont know what its like... so I don't get to shoot a lot.
I feel I will be on here reading quite a bit... probably during work hours haha.

New to the forum

Greetings - I am a recently certified appraiser and am building my network. While the certification is just a piece of paper, I have to build my knowledge.

Greetings,just joined this forum about a week ago,I am also a member of other forums as well always looking for more info and contacts,former Marine,currently living in Pensacola, Florida,love collecting military trainers,and enjoy Bench Rest and position shooting.Don"t hunt but enjoy shooting and off shore fishing.Keep it in the X.

New guy from Central Indiana

Hello from the Hoosier State. I'm a Vietnam Vet and a Retired Engineer. Much of my day is spent as a volunteer at different places. Most of my "freetime" is spent with my firearms. I like to shoot them, clean them, read about them and to spend alot of time on firearm forums.

I hope to learn lots from my fellow members and look forward to sharing my knowledge with you when and where I can. I'm happy I found The Firing Line.

Dale

New to the Forum

Hello,
I'm new to the firing line forum. I've been a shotgun shooter, reloader, hunter, and outdoor guy for 35+ years.

Thirty years reloading on MEC 600s, Grabbers, Sizemasters, and a 9000g. I've just started to reload for my only centerfire rifle (.30-06). I've been told that I must be trying to make it a "one-holer". I am reloading this down to be an enjoyable light-load.

I THINK that I am interested in a Rossi 520XX lever gun in .44 for deer hunting in Michigan. With the heavy 24 in octagon barrel, I envision low recoil and a steady, smooth handling gun.

On top of ALL that... my nephew gave me a Navy Colt 1861 Kit gun. So, now, I've got a new project and need to do some research.

So, when I found this forum, I figured that I could use my time to research three things:
1. Do I need to use a special bullet in the .30-06 light load for slower velocity loads and hunting deer?

2. How does the Rossi do with 60 - 70 yard shots and will it be a deer stopper? Will this be a better option than what I am trying to solve with #1 above.

3. Anyone ever put together one of those kit guns? I'm looking for some advise, photos, and tips.

Thanks, looking forward to poking around here.
Maggs

I came across this forum while Googling reviews on some firearms. I am a member of a few different forums, such as Zombie Squad, and Steel Soldiers, etc. I grew up around guns and I love to hunt. I also shoot for sport, fun, and private competition. I study self defense, hunting, tactical and etc. I look forward to share and learn info on this forum. Thanks!

Thanks for providing a place to do introductions. My husband is an avid shooter and I am here to learn more about his passion. I look forward to getting to know all of you and to being able to hold intelligent conversations that connect with him.

Hello TFL!!

Im a 33 year old Firefighter in Massachusetts.....that being said i grew up around guns all my life. I was hunting with my father when i was 5, i am an avid outdoor person...anything that has to do with hunting, camping, fishing, and guns is what im about....i own a few different weapons well 25 to be precise. My favorite one is my AR-15... These things are like legos....you can do whatever you want with them!! I recently put a new upper on and cant wait to get out and shoot!! but enough about me, hopefully on here i can make new friends and get advice of the fellow members.....i am all about constructive critisicm!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Greetings, I am a long time lurker, new member. I have not posted in the past and will not post often since I feel I probably don't have much to contribute. I think most answers to problems have already been discussed. I was given my first firearm at age nine in 1943. It was a Springfield .22 bolt action rifle that has retained its accuracy to this date....I still have it but shoot it rarely since the sear is rather worn. I am now shooting a Sig Sauer .45 ACP handgun, a C3 which I like a lot. I look forward to cruising this site and continuing to learn new....stuff.

Last edited:
Hi All

John here, from the UK. Been on the outskirts of the forum for a while and decided to join. I have a life-long interest in all things muzzle-loading and was also a keen target pistol shooter in the 1990's (S&W model 14).
I was told you are never too old to learn new things and I am here to do just that...

Hi all, Fiskamon here. I visited a couple of times and found this site very informative and the members friendly. Would just like to say hello.

Back