New Colt Cobra....I'm laughing

I saw one of these today for the first time.
The fit and finish was almost as good as the Charter Arms Bulldog that was in the display case a with it.

Stainless "FINISH" on a 90% MIM gun.

The cylinder, forcing cone and barrel liner are the only steel steel parts. The whole rest of the gun is all MIM. I have Detective Special IIIs and the Police Positive Special Mk V which used up the last of Colts carbon steel D frame parts, with a full double under lug 4 inch barrel, with recessed crown on the ORIGINAL small D frame. These new Cobras are GARBAGE! The safety lifter has a spring on it that looks like a blind monkey with palsy installed it. Charter Arms makes a better small frame revolver, and you get a LIFETIME WARRANTY. Colt gives you a VERY LIMITED 1 YEAR WARRANTY. If the gun is all beat to ___ that is exactly how Colt will send it back to you, after they hack away at fixing it. Charter Arms POLISHED my USED Pitbull out again after replacing a bent crane, FOR FREE! $700+ for a MIM revolver? Wow! If Taurus did this there would be no end of complaining. Taurus also has a LIFETIME WARRANTY. Put a Wolff spring kit in a Taurus and they are pretty darned decent little guns. I can't do anything with the new Colt Cobra. Colt should be naming these guns after parasitic worms instead of snakes.

It looks like we live in a time when what we read and are told is what we must believe .
Put lipstick on a pig (pony) and we will buy at any price .

The cylinder, forcing cone and barrel liner are the only steel steel parts. The whole rest of the gun is all MIM.

The Cobra barrel is one piece. And I’m not sure how the forcing cone would ever be a separate piece... Are you trying to say the frame is also MIM? At this point in time MIM is generally regarded as at least as good as the internals used in older revolvers. The only complaint I can make out of your post is a spring that looks like it was installed by a blind monkey.

The street price on the Cobra is about $550. The street price on the Pitbull is about $400. Not a huge difference. I know I wouldn’t trade my Cobra for a Pitbull with a $150 kicker. My Cobra is a much smoother gun with a much better trigger than my .45 ACP Pitbull.

If you guys have Amazon Prime video there's an excellent documentary hosted my Ian McCollum called "The Colt Armory". Very long and sad story of the rise and many times fallen Colt Armory. Colts current marketing gurus are trying to use the past glory quality days of Python and Anaconda to sell pistols in the present day. If you fall for this shame on you. Im hearing a lot of negative feedback on the "new" Colt. Seems your getting a Taurus with a Colt logo....buyers be warned.

must be something wrong with me, I got a nice one. it is well made, has a awesome trigger, sits lower in my hand than any Taurus does . it also doesn't have a weird 1x3 board feel to it either.
,,,,,it is accurate. the crisp lines I appreciate. any gun that has roley poley feel to it has been over polished in my mind.
...has no gaps anywhere at all. yoke is tight. even the hammer width is correct for the frame. tight cylinder to barrel fit.
definitely a keeper. when is their next model coming? jmho

Bought the new Colt Cobra some months ago. It 's a perfectly fine short barreled 38. It rounded out my collection of Cobras. -- have first and second generations.

.02. David. :)

Cant speak for the Cobra, but the King Cobra I got as a gift is 100% flawless.
Excellent trigger, wonderfully smooth action.
FFF is every bit as nice as a vintage one.

In December, I had the opportunity to check out a Cobra and King Cobra at a local shop. The fit and finish of both were quite good - did not notice sharp edges or any shortcuts in the finish.
What made me purchase a Kimber K6S instead was the trigger.
Both the Cobra and King Cobra had serious stacking of trigger pressure required as the DA trigger stroke was pulled. Just before release, it felt like at least 15lbs of pressure!
By contrast, the Kimber DA trigger was consistent and smooth and felt like 10lbs at most.
So, the Kimber came home with me (after the 10 days wait was over)...

In December, I had the opportunity to check out a Cobra and King Cobra at a local shop. The fit and finish of both were quite good - did not notice sharp edges or any shortcuts in the finish.
What made me purchase a Kimber K6S instead was the trigger.
Both the Cobra and King Cobra had serious stacking of trigger pressure required as the DA trigger stroke was pulled. Just before release, it felt like at least 15lbs of pressure!
By contrast, the Kimber DA trigger was consistent and smooth and felt like 10lbs at most.

My KC DA pull measures < 8#
I don't own a K6 but they advertise 10#

I bought a new Colt King Cobra for my wife a couple of months ago; chose this revolver over more than a few others (the Kimber was a close runner-up) largely due to the superb da trigger pull. Like the new Colt a lot, love the trigger but cool on the balky cylinder release (it has to be held back with a lot of thumb pressure for the cylinder to open freely).

Back