New Colt Cobra....I'm laughing

I'm just reading through this thread and giggling about all I said in a thread last December about these soon to be released revolvers.

And to be fair, guys like DPris said that there were bound to be people comparing these to old hand made Colt's of decades ago and being disappointed. I never got my hopes up to begin with.

The fact is S&W and Ruger can and have been making revolvers for decades now that are as good or better than Colt and for less.

You want a REAL Colt? Find a used one, they're the best Colt revolvers Colt ever made.

Just handled one yesterday. Yuck. Sure wish the Magnum Carry was produced instead of this thing.

BTW, just also handled a third gen. Colt Police Positive, 4 inch blue, in .38 Spl. They also want $400 but might come down. Way ahead of this 'Cobra'.

Deaf

If going after any % of the CCW market...WHY the steel frame? And then...call it a Cobra! I’m a huge fan of Colt DA revolvers (and 1911’s) but am struggling with this one!

Shucks, Colt makes GREAT aluminum frames!!

I just bought a blue, excellent condition, Colt Detective Special, 3ed Gen, for $400.

So why in the heck would I want this 'Cobra' for that price?

Deaf
You wouldn't want it, it's junk. First time I looked at it I had that figured out. I lost respect for Colt over the new Cobra. Why would they cheap out like that?

You wouldn't want it, it's junk. First time I looked at it I had that figured out. I lost respect for Colt over the new Cobra. Why would they cheap out like that?
Because there are shallow gun collectors who will buy anything Colt makes because... "It's a Colt!"

Clueless Colt execs

The new breed of Yuppie exec management at Colt knows very little about the firearm market. They are bean counters who don’t even count well given Colts financial troubles of late.
A smart mgt team would look at reproducing the quality of the Python n actually delivering it... but meathead mgt at Colt is clueless.

That will NEVER happen.

Reproducing the Python with the same quality today would make for a gun with an MSR in the tens of thousands of dollars.

It's not happening.

^ No, it's not happening. The desire for people to see a modern manufactured revolver like that for a reasonable price is a thing of the past and my answer to those who want such a revolver is, go get a used one.

There's a blued Python at an lgs near me. Price: $3000. I haven't handled it, I have no interest in it, so I don't know if it's worth it or not. Let's say it has barely been fired and is in like new condition and one wanted a revolver of that perceived quality then they should buy it.

I've had in my mind a .357 GP100 because I don't have a .357 revolver. What's nice about the .357 is I can find .357's from the cheap Rohm crap all the way up to the Python and on to older Smiths and into the twilight zone of Korth and what all of them have in common is they're all used guns and, with the exception of Rohm, made by really skilled people.

A gun is only worth what it's worth to the person wanting to buy it. For how low employees are getting paid in gun companies, the customer is not going to get a Holland and Holland for the price of a Savage.

And what I detest about the new Colt Cobra is it's not quality worth the price. I can understand one paying 3 or 4 g's for the high quality .357 guns I mentioned, but what I can't accept is one paying more money for a mediocre .38 when they could buy a .357 that's better made for less. If one wants to spend their mostly hard earned money on a Cobra, it's their boat to float, but when they try and tell me that it's better quality than newly made Ruger's and Smith's or is made from iron mined from Mount Olympus, I can't let such bunk go over without being challenged.

Last edited:
Colt stopped making Pythons something like 12 years ago. IIRC about 2000 they ceased making them in the main factory and moved them to the Custom Shop where maybe 2005 or so they stopped. A few left after that but it was the last of their da revolvers. The bottom line reason is because they weren't selling at the about $1300. Colt was asking.

Colt introduced the new Cobra to try to get into the da revolver gun business again. Their effort helped inspire Kimber to quick step the production of their revolver. There has been a market for the return of a Dick Special size gun. Colt stepped into that.

The gun was never going to be a replacement for the old Cobra. The new gun is stronger. At least according to Colt, it will take a steady diet of +P ammo.

The MSRP on the Colt is less than $700. The MSRP on the Kimber K6 is above $800. The latter is available in .357 and is priced competitively with S&W offerings.

https://www.colt.com/Catalog/Revolvers/Cobra

http://www.kimberamerica.com/k6s-stainless-3

I have not had a chance yet to see the new Colt so I have no opinion on it. Except that I like the idea of Colt making a success of DA revolvers. I have no ill will towards Colt.

So buy what you like, or buy both and see for yourself. Sell them when you're done with the fun of them.

tipoc

I dont think the complaint is that a colt is not finished to the quality of old days. Not my issue at least. My complaint is colt is way over price for the product provided. Today, 2017 a colt is a big waste of money. I dont know what the problem is and at a certain level, I dont care. They want MY money, they have to offer a BETTER value than the competition. Not almost as good. Better at some level. Triple lock up? Exciting calibers? Light weight. Versatility? Barrel swap? Super smooth cam design trigger pull? Quality, innovation, some features, something anything, beside just a name. Colt is not worthy of a charity purchase. They need to earn it.

Nothing to do with 100 year ago how guns were finished. This new gun. Drop the price $200 for a start. Build a new customer base. Then think about the future instead of living off the past.

All top tier competition with steel frames has MSRP's higher than the Cobra - this includes Ruger, S&W, and Kimber. Some of them you can find them cheaper on the street but not by much. Anyone who watches gun forums knows there are just as many complaints about the quality of new S&W's and Rugers. People just like to bash on Colt.

This is true, some folks like bashing Colt.

Also appears that some complain about the price of Colt's without knowing the actual street prices of the guns or the MSRP of the guns.

Like I said I have not seen the new Cobra and will have to go out of state to do that. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

tipoc

The Cobras I have seen lately have cost $700 and that is not much more than a new all stainless S&W mod. 60. I see the S&W sell for $650. I think Colt should have given it a totally new name so people wouldn't be trying to compare the new one with the older guns with the same name. The two examples I have messed with looked great and I want one.

Last edited:
I made the suggestion colt drop the price. It maybe seem foolish but coming in below charter arms could sell a high volume of guns. That is my suggestion of desperation. Ideally, Colt would offer another angle to grab the market. Price is a last resort. It works. That suggestion is probably another example of bashing. I have owned my share of colt and very similar competitors models. The Colts dont compare that well.

I dont know what is going on with the gun in question. Maybe the OP is a bald face liar and colt hater. Or a smith wesson forum plant. I dont think so. I believe him and his experience is right in line with my last purchase of a 1911 gold cup. Full disclosure that was one or two bankruptcies back.

Some one say colt price is right in line with smith or ruger! MY POINT, WHAT MAKES THIS COLT BETTER?

I got a Smith Wesson, so-called, Performance Center revolver. It was out of time! The thing is. NOBODY offers a comparable model. It is unique. I got it fixed. I am satisfied. That is another way to get my dollar, offer a unique product. Other wise it should be a better product. Failing that, it should be a bargain price. Give me some reason. Not just buy me, my name is Colt.

Why would Colt drop the price? The guns are hard to find in stock and sell quickly.

What makes the Colt better, you ask? Better trigger, holds more rounds and better sights.

“MY POINT, WHAT MAKES THIS COLT BETTER?”

6>5. That’s always been the appeal of the D framed Colt revolver. Still is, from appearances.

I made the suggestion colt drop the price. It maybe seem foolish but coming in below charter arms could sell a high volume of guns.
I doubt that Colt could price the Cobra for less than a Charter Arms and still make a profit.

So they'd lose money on every gun sold, but hope to make it up in volume. ;)

Give me some reason. Not just buy me, my name is Colt.

That's been Colt management's strategy for decades. I don't see them changing it, at least not until it's too late.

Last edited:
The Cobras I have seen lately have cost $700 and that is not much more than a new all stainless S&W mod. 60.

The MSRP on the new Colt Cobra is $699. The general rule of thumb is that actual retail price is about $100. less, occasionally more than that. Sometimes, with Colts, only about $50. less. But it's generally less. So if you are seeing the gun in stores for $700. or more, that is not on Colt. That's the action of the retailers who want to increase their profit. They can do this because it's a Colt, people want to buy Colt's and because it's not available "everywhere" yet.

Some ask "what's it got that other guns don't have other than the Pony?". Well, that's for the buyer to figure out. Same as any other gun. Like most guns it won't have much of any significance that another gun don't have. Pull the trigger it goes bang and is accurate enough for the job you want it to do. The difference is that sometimes one gun has something that fits a person better than another. So go with the gun that fits you best.

Every day folks buy new or used guns because they "like" Rugers, or S&Ws or because they want to try out a gun that they haven't run before. If we apply the criteria "what's it got that other guns don't" to everything, we're gonna be not buying much. Colt and Kimber are offering a small 6 shot easily concealable gun, take your pick or get both.

Another fella says that other makers of 1911's offer the things he likes on the guns at the same price point. OK, so get those guns. But there is no reason in that to dis Colt. Some like the features that Colt does offer and don't want or need the features that some others may offer. Nice to have choices.

Finally, is there something wrong with a fella buying a gun just because they like the Pony? Colt doesn't charge more for the Pony. Folks will pay more for it sometimes but that's not on Colt. It's MSRPs are comparable to others (except maybe for the SAAs). That can be easily checked

tipoc

Last edited:
Back