New Colt Cobra....I'm laughing

Capitalize on goodwill generated in the past.

I think you're right Mike. I think it is risky strategy though. Goodwill is not easy to get and very easy to lose. Using the status of the badge to sell new handguns that are little like the guns that earned an almost cult- like following seems like a "NEW Coca-Cola" strategy to me.

I saw one at a gun shop yesterday. Were I shopping for a snub revolver, I might consider it- 6 shot, steel, pretty decent trigger. Didn't notice a bunch of sharp edges, but the finish was pretty unimpressive, especially for $700. Price needs to be considerably lower.

The new revolvers from S&W...are nothing - especially internally with all the MIM parts - or on the finish as well - compared to their revolvers of 40 - 50 yrs ago either.

But I think the new versions of the S&W revolvers are better guns than what I have seen from the new Colt revolver / at least so far.

While the S&W model 27 especially in a dash 2 or earlier, is one of my all time favorite guns - and some of the best revolvers I own../...the new model 627's -- I bought a 2 5/8" and 5" perf center models about 18 months ago to test ( 8 shot, stainless, full of MIM, have proved to be solid performers...a little ugly ...but solid guns with very good triggers) -- just not nearly as esthetically pleasing as the old model 27's.

I can't blame Colt for putting their logo on the gun....its still their gun.

I don't think the new Colt revolver...detracts buyers from the old Colt revolvers....or vice versa with S&W either.

Hey, you are paying for the Pony. You want the Pony you are going to have to pay for the Pony. Did you expect more than the Pony? OOPS!

I did a little looking on this new Colt wheelgun and the first two reviews I read had nothing but good things to say about it. Not really my cup of tea though, the little bit I have ever fondled a Colt (my uncles 4" Python) I didn't care for the cylinder release compared to my Smith's. Love the looks of the old snakes don't get me wrong. I hope for the sake of competition and variety for us customers to enjoy that Colt does expand on their reentry into the DA wheelgun market. Hopefully this little Cobra is just the beginning. Maybe a "new" Python might be closer to affordable for a guy like me so maybe I could get used to that pesky cylinder release and enjoy owning such a beautiful wheelgun

It's like the old GTOs. Now the Bonneville had air conditioning,
all the power options, and the same 389. But the GTO has the
reputation. Crappy goats still sell for upwards to 30K, you're lucky if
you can get one third that for the Bonneville.

People hear the name "Colt", and go all ga-ga.

"Not really my cup of tea though, the little bit I have ever fondled a Colt (my uncles 4" Python) I didn't care for the cylinder release compared to my Smith's."

I'm the same way. I quit carrying a Detective Special and went back to S&Ws because of the cylinder release.

But, a few years ago, something clicked in my brain and I decided I needed some Colts... Some old Colts, so I've ended up with a 1968ish Official Police in .38 Special, a Police Positive in .32 New Police (.32 S&W Long) and a Police Positive Special in .32-20.

They're all range guns, so the cylinder release isn't an issue.

The cylinder release is literally the only thing about a Colt I don't care for. Other than that, the few I've handled and fired we're quite nice.

I handled one 2 months ago junk, then my local gun store got a second one in and that one was a huge difference for the better.

In a CWC gun I could care less for fit, finish and aesthetics. I care about accuracy, reliability, durability and ease of use. MIM parts, done correctly, are just as good as any, and when used by a reputable manufacturer, have shown no more failures than others. They too are of no concern to me. For a snub nosed .38 special revolver, there are many other options just as good and much less expensive than the Colt offering. Folks begged and begged for Colt to get back into the revolver business and now want to trash their first attempt in years. From what I've seen and fondled of them, they aren't bad, just not worth the extra cash.

And, as far as the price point, they just hit the market. Of course they are selling around MSRP. Wait a couple years and see where they settle. If COlt can find the money to keep themselves out of more bankruptcy issues, I still have hope they will develop a nice DA revolver line before I retire.

I'm not trashing the new Colt revolvers. Offering well built utilitarian revolvers makes good sense. I just question using model names from the past that do not meet past standards.

The new SS Colt Cobra I bought in August locally for $705 OTD wasn't a fluke - it was identical in fit & finish to the ones on display. It was certainly better than the last new GP-100 I looked over - nearly as nice as my S&W 60 Pro, in fact. This isn't my first DA handgun with 'Colt' emblazoned somewhere on it... that honor belongs to my first-ever S&W - a 625MG in .45 Colt. That taught me a valuable lesson, too... unlike the mix of Rugers I had bought, which were all delivered as 'works in progress', the S&W's were all functional as delivered. So is the new Cobra!

Good MIM parts are uniform and fine in my S&W experience - and the infamous IL is a non-issue to me, as well. So, what do I think of the new Cobra? It's an appropriate self defense firearm. Bigger than a J-frame, smaller than a K-frame - except for it's cylinder's chamber spacing - my HKS #10 speedloaders fit it as well as my 2" 10, 4" 64, & 6" 66. I keep them loaded with Remington +P 158gr LHPSWC's for self defense. I appreciate the Cobra's even flat finish - reduces reflection. The fiber optic front sight is appreciated, too... Tritium night sights generally are useless to me. The cylinder release is odd to me - pull vs push, as on a proper S&W - and that cylinder rotation is backwards (CW!), too. Reloading likely won't be needed in a 'protect your bacon' event, so that oddity shouldn't be important.

The SA trigger is easy to predict and fairly crisp, while the DA trigger is equally predictable and smoother than any other NIB DA-capable revolver I've owned... including PC shop S&W's. The Hogue rubber grips cover the backstrap and make the recoil of those +P Remi's easier to follow up with. Speaking of shooting those defensive loads, my larger fingers noticed the edges of the trigger guard - I'll have to ease it a bit (It's not the first revolver I've had to adapt!). Actually, wood/Dymondwood grips, like the new Cobra sports on the May 2017 American Rifleman front cover, would be a better fit for me. Those +P 158gr LHPSWC's seem to hit coincident POA/POI at 20/25 yd on steel plates when using a six o'clock sight picture.

My wife couldn't miss - even the smaller plates - very aggravating to be out shot by your wife! She liked the Cobra... maybe I can swap her for my 2" 10! (No way, I am afraid.) I need a Mika pocket holster for it - and some wood/Dymondwood grips. I need to make some calls... oops, I need to clean it, too (I shot it last week!). At 69 - I finally bought a 'Colt'.

There's something I like about a new Colt revolver. But, in the current market, the SP101 may be as good as it gets in bang for your buck reckoning.

The Kimber also intrigues me...

The Colt looks and feels...meh.

mete wrote:
Of course I've seen many a complaint about MIM in guns...

Like forging, casting, extruding, or drawing, MIM is a fabrication technique. It can me done well and produce robust durable parts or it can be done in a slipshod fashion. There's no reason a MIM part can't be as "good" as a part fabricated some other way; it just depends on the talent and skill of the people producing the part and whether the customer wanted to pay for the appropriate alloys and treatment.

The biggest problem I have with older Colt DA revolvers up to and including the DS2 version, is the slow trigger return in rapid double action fire.

There's something I like about a new Colt revolver. But, in the current market, the SP101 may be as good as it gets in bang for your buck reckoning.
Actually, I think since the Colt has only .38 special+p capabilities, that the airweight J-frame S&Ws, which sell for about half as much are as good as it gets in bang for your buck reckoning, for a true CWC .38. When you get to a steel J Frame, capable of .357, MSRP of the SP is virtually the same as a S&W model 60. The SP is a good gun yes, but as good as it gets?

Well, I've carried a 642 for 25 years as a BUG. I own a 2" 64. 3"65's. 2 3/4" Speed Six and others. I've also owned a 2" Colt Lawman and an Agent.

I also have an SP101 and an SPNY.

Dollar for dollar. Utility, durability. Portability. Power. Yeah, I'm kind of impressed with the Ruger SP101.

The current Cobra...again...Meh.

"I wonder what it would cost to manufacture a new Colt revolver with the same fit and finish of days gone by? My guess is $700 would not get it done. Building a lesser version of a classic seems like a bad idea."

You'd likely be looking at $2000, if not more.

No one, and I mean no one, could put a polish and blue job on a revolver like Colt.

But to get that finish required highly skilled and experienced people running those polishers.
Colt isn't the only company that can blue a gun. I have a recently manufactured Browning HiPower that has deep smooth bluing.

Henry rifles also come to mind. Very high quality in the blue.

Back