Nagant M1895 Nagant Dimensions

Ok. That route you suggested sounds pretty easy. Would the reloaded ammo create the gas seal? I would assume yes because your just reloading the actual brass but just want to know for sure either way.

John

Man I'm really debating getting one of the Nagants from AIM.

I don't see that they come with a lanyard along with the holster, screwdriver, and cleaning rod... I thought most Nagants came with a lanyard?

Also they are twice as expensive as they used to be... are these new guns in really good shape? The picture would lead you to believe that but I'm not sure, they could have picked the best looking one and took a picture of it LOL!

Awesome, thanks. I will buy some Prvi and then reload it. What dies did you use? The only ones I see are for converting .32-20 brass and reloading it, do those work for factory cases as well?

John

Edit: I know the link you gave me mentions the Lee and RCBS, and he ended up using the RCBS, but what one did you use?

And you were able to achieve gas sealed rounds? I thought the lee set was only for coverting and making ammo from .32-20 brass.

John

If you make the gas seal rounds you will have a short case life. Back whan I bought my Nagant the Privi ammo was not available to I ordered 500 Star cases. I tried seating the bullets flush with the case but just did not like the look so I wildat mine bu cutting the .32-20 cases just short enough to do a regular crimp and have the cartridge fit.

I sure am glad tha I did it that way as it works slick

My current load is 4 grains of Unique with a 90 grain bullet.

Shooter, they can be made to work- the seater has to be modified ... and you won't get the radical crimp in front of the bullet like the factory rounds ....but you don't want that- it works the brass too much. I run them in to a .30 Carbine sizing die and finish with a 7mm Lee factory crimp die - the important thing is to ge the case mouth to .296".

With the date only on the sideplate of the revolver, and having undergone refurbishment with pieces mixed and matched, are you really getting a revolver manufactured that year or just one with a sideplate made that year? I know the Mosin Nagant rifle parts were mixed and interchanged at refurbishment, maybe the revolvers weren't?

I have received my revolver from AIM. Mine was made in 1919. The import mark is on the bottom of the barrel. Its bathed in Cosmoline which is fine by me. But what I didn't see was the normal Izzy or Tula Marks. I'll have to investigate further when I clean it up. I had to pick it up an haul tail to my unit for duty, so I wasn't able to spend much time with it. But from what I can see, it is in fine shape and I'm happy to have it. Yes 190 seems a lot right now but check again in 5 years.

I find the .32-20 cases very easy to handload for the Nagant. They are too short for the gas seal, but I do not need the gas seal. I feel it is highly over-hyped. It also seems to me that repeated crimping of the case mouth will lead to early failure of the brass.
If you get the factory ammo and reload the brass, then yes, you'll need t crimp for the gas seal.

Bigdog- if you want to shoot .32/20, with these guns going for $200+ you can pick up an old H&R or S&W revolver for about the same money and it'll have a nicer DA pull, too!

jimbob You can not shoot a 32-20 in a nagant revolver. You run the 32-20 through a M1 carbine die to remove the shoulder first. We just use the 32-20 case as a place to start.

Deerslayer,

Whenever you get time can you post a picture of your new revolver? I might buy one within the next day if it looks nice. Anyone have a clue as to how many revolvers AIM has left?

John

There is a definite "bull market" going on in the surplus firearms world right now- I suspect, at least partially driven by what I call "Fedonomics"...

Whether these particular revolvers represent a good investment will be known a decade from now. To equate to a 10% annual return on your $$, you would need to be able to sell that $200 revolver today, for $400 in seven years.

I can't seem to get off the fence on this one. I am not in the camp that thinks they represent a good investment, but they are an interesting design and merit a place in a collection so I'll probably bite the bullet and go for it.

Whether these particular revolvers represent a good investment will be known a decade from now. To equate to a 10% annual return on your $$, you would need to be able to sell that $200 revolver today, for $400 in seven years.

:confused: Fuzzy logic. Decade my butt. You will not lose money on a $200 Nagant revolver. In this case you will increase your investment by almost %50 as soon as availability dries up again. You may lose value on the electrons you have sitting in a checking/savings account.

Back