Mossberg vs Remington Pump Guns

The “finger on the trigger” is actually a “feature” listed by several internet comparisons. Absolutely it is stupid.

Knowing shotgun manual of arms, I cannot think of a single point where the ability to maintain a “firing grip” adds any advantage. It is not a sniper rifle where the ability to maintain consistency in your stock weld is important. An 870 can easily be manipulated from either shoulder as well.

I found the Mossberg action bar lock to be small and less positive to manipulate.

That being said the differences are small and come down to personal preference. That is the whole point. Any perceived Mossberg advantage is just that.....personal perception.

The only real difference is the Mossbergs safety manipulation is hampered if you use a stock with a pistol grip.

Everyone keeps bringing up the 870 trap gun. It is of Wingmaster quality. The express is poor workmanship when compared to the Wingmaster.

It has NOTHING to do with keeping your finger on the trigger during manipulation of the controls. That would be stupid.

From this thread. Folks think it is a feature of the Mossberg that you can manipulate the safety with finger on the trigger.....

I also hate the location of the 870 safety which requires I move my finger away from the trigger to move the safety.

The feature is you MUST take your booger hook off the bang switch.

Bottom line, If the weapon needs to be on safe then your finger needs to be off the trigger.

David, the problem with the 870 is you have to disrupt your grip to push the safety off. With the 590, I can maintain my grip, with my finger on the trigger guard, and disengage the safety.

I can maintain my grip, with my finger on the trigger guard, and disengage the safety.

Or better yet, straight along the receiver and not need to curl my trigger finger anywhere near the trigger.

David, the problem with the 870 is you have to disrupt your grip to push the safety off. With the 590, I can maintain my grip, with my finger on the trigger guard, and disengage the safety.

:confused:

Putting the safety on an 870 I have to remove my grip but getting off is no issue at all. Trying to think what would make your hand different such that you cannot get the safety off.

1pe35x.jpg

https://www.post.idaho.gov/Reg4/2017 Classes/POSTShotgunInstManual2016.pdf

You thinking of the action bar controls?

Anyway, with a 590 you cannot manipulate the safety with a pistol grip in the low ready which is why SOF uses 870's.

Attachments

• Remington Safety.jpg
    Remington Safety.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
David, the only thing I see a pistol grip shotgun remotely useful for is door breaching. I would still rather uses regular stock for that.

With my finger straight and off the trigger I can disengage the safety of an 870 with the inside of my second knuckle.

David, the only thing I see a pistol grip shotgun remotely useful for is door breaching. I would still rather uses regular stock for that.

Do you mean pistol grip only, or pistol grip stocks?

While I love my 870 Police with Magpul stock (home defense shotgun), just did a class with 14” 870s... that had pistol grip stocks. Worked out fine, except for some trainees who just didn’t like shooting a shotgun. Similar to my braced TAC-14, but nobody had issues with the pistol grip (not saying like three of the shotguns didn’t have issues, but they were mechanical since they were beaten to hell).

Unless it is a traditional stock (and then you have what was previously mentioned), Remington safety is superior. With a pistol grip, you really don’t use the safety with a Mossberg. Had one, prior to the the KSG I tried out... which was ultimately replaced with the TAC-14. But do have to point out, familiarity is big... I’ve been shooting Remington shotguns since I was 14.

Funny, I don't find the safety on my pistol-gripped Mossberg impossible to operate. I swivel my right hand up and use my index finger to slide the safety off quickly and easily. As fast as the 870's push button? No. But is it as difficult as some of these posters make it out? Not hardly. Besides, if I was in a situation where use of the shotgun was imminent, I certainly wouldn't wait until the split-second before firing to disengage the safety. In an HD situation, the safety goes off as soon as I pick the weapon up and chamber a round.

I have had many shotguns with the crossbolt safety in the rear of the trigger guard, and also quite a few with a tang safety.
I can't think of anything that is of less concern to me than where the safety is.

I have had many shotguns with the crossbolt safety in the rear of the trigger guard, and also quite a few with a tang safety.
I can't think of anything that is of less concern to me than where the safety is.

Yep

Non-issue because if need it on safe, the hard part is over. The safety is on until I am ready to destroy something.

The main issue is being able to get it off quickly as you engage the threat.

Pistol grip stock although many of the 870's we had were just a pistol grip as breaching tools. Pistol grip stocks offer some reloading and manual of arms advantages. That being said, I personally like a regular stock on my tactical shotgun.

Both of these shotguns, the Mossberg series and the Remington 870 are fine, reliable, combat platforms. I simply pointed out for those taking issue with some of the 870 features, issues exist with the Mossberg as well.

In the end, it is Brunettes vs Blondes...

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the Mossberg or the Remington. Owned a Mossberg once, and currently have an 870. But I prefer the Winchester shotguns of which I own two. A 1200 and a 1300.

I have used both Mossbergs (and a couple of New Havens) and Remingtons. I bought my favorite Mossberg 500 at an auction. The previous owner obviously hated the plastic safety and replaced it by hammering flat a used .22 casing, punching a hole in it, and locktiting the screw in. It has never failed in the 25 years that I've owned and shot it.
I've found that ATA trap shooters tend not to use pumps - more like single-shot BT-99s etc. or O/Us. I have used an S&W Super 1000 for sporting clays.

I must admit that mossbergs lack of quality has amazed me. I bought my son a 500 a few weeks ago. Compared to my 30 year old 500, it's a piece of junk. Compared to the 870 DM I bought last month, it's a piece of junk. There is almost no difference in his 500 and a Maverick.

I must admit that mossbergs lack of quality has amazed me. I bought my son a 500 a few weeks ago. Compared to my 30 year old 500, it's a piece of junk. Compared to the 870 DM I bought last month, it's a piece of junk. There is almost no difference in his 500 and a Maverick.
Son has a 590 and I have a Maverick..not sure if the 590 is overpriced or the Maverick is underpriced..the 'guts' between the 2 are the same..metal trigger guard on the 590..plastic on the Maverick..both really fun to shoot..

Is the 590 more than twice as good as the Maverick? Is the Maverick a better 'gun for the money? I donno..he's really happy with his SG and so am I..

Back