Mossberg vs Remington Pump Guns

I have an old Mossberg 500A from the early 60s and a newer Mariner version, and an 870 Express all in 12 ga. None of them have ever failed shooting anything from target loads, field, buckshot or slugs. Well the older 500 did start to fail to extract after an all day shoot fest of about 400 shells without any cleaning. Carbon was building up in the extractors so once it was cleaned it was fine. I suspect the extractors are not as sharply notched after de added of use.

Personally I like the lighter weight of the 500. Much easier to carry in the field and the girls in the family prefer it on the shooting line. I can see in a department setting that a steel receiver may be better durability. But for a private citizen I think both are plenty durable and reliable and comes down to which fits better and handles better for you. The 870 has the advantage of having more accessories designed for it if that is needed.

Number #1 malfunction on 870s when I was in gun business was the shell jamming on the
carrier. Simple to clear by taking out mag spring retainer, spring and follower. Guys did this
in the field and lost a lot of mag spring retainers. Sometimes the other parts including the
barrel nut. This seemed to occur on new guns and I guess went away after broke in. I'm not
870 fan but don't have anything bad to say about them.

For a time the 3000 had a sort of cult following with individual police.

And for good reason, at least for a time (minimally until Remington rectified the aforementioned design defect affecting at least some Model 870s during a certain unspecified time period).

I'm a lefty, much prefer the Mossberg because of the receiver safety. But having read through the other comments here, I will be checking into that reversible safety on the 870!

Personally, as a LH shooter, I always preferred the Ithaca or Browning......

The Remington 870 "design defect" was actually operator error.
If you failed to insert the shell ALL THE WAY into the magazine the shell could be pushed back out on top of the shell lifter and cause a stoppage.

The approved method of clearing this for the police was to bump the butt pad on the ground as you pulled on the forearm to force the action open.
This can happen with other brands of shotguns too, but since Remington was and is the prime shotgun maker of police guns, they fixed it.

Since it didn't make any difference that it was operator error to a cop in a bad place, Remington modified the shell lifter and bolt to allow opening the action by simply pulling harder on the forearm.
This is known as the "Flex Tab" system.
It can be recognized by a long "U" shaped cut in the bottom of the shell lifter.

Some people think that all that's needed to convert an older gun to the Flex Tab is to install a new shell lifter or trigger group, but the modified bolt is also needed to really work correctly.

Have a M500, Ithace M37 & WIn 97 and 12, but no Remingtons, 870 or 1100.
Like them all, but the M37's, [12, 16, 20,with the 16 getting outdoor most].

Friend took a swim with a 870 Express, and by time we got home the steel was rusting and the wood started swelling.

It's all personal preference.

Shoot trap with one and you'll find out. I think Remington is the only one with so many trap gun models. Rudy Etchen, a by gone trap shooting great, shot a 100 straight in doubles 50 years apart with the same 870. He was ask when he was going to get a better trap gun. He said when he finds one he'd buy two, one for him and one for the guy asking the question. He would pull the gun back into his shoulder with the left hand so when the gun went off on the first bird he was already cocking it for the second shot. He couldn't do that with a model 12. He was just amazingly fast shooting two shots. In live pigeon shoots people would sometimes line up just to see him shoot because he was so fast. Goggle his name for a good read. Paul

Last edited:
Another Model 37 fan. They still make them, but new are crazy expensive. Enough people don't know, so beautiful used Ithacas can be picked up for a song.

I like how they shuck the shell down, instead of off to the right, ricocheting off your buddy.

And lefties? Who cares if you are right or left handed. Down is down.

I have an old Wingmaster too, and it's also well loved. If I find an old mossberg, I guess I need it to complete the holy trinity.

A holy trinity would be a model 10 or 29 [ both bottom eject ], a model 31, and a 870. A 31 is considered by many to be the smoothest working pump ever made.

stinkeypete, the Model 37 ejectors are located in the arms of the shell lifter.
When the spent case is pulled from the chamber the rim hits a notch cut in the
lifter arm. The case rim slips from under the top extractor and is flipped
down ward in a rotating motion. If you take a fired case and try to slip it into the action
you will find the ejection port too short by about 1/16 inch.
The case is actually pulled back into the action then ejected.

Please note that the Winchester Model 12 ejected the same way. There were many
gun smiths that made good money's opening up "short" ejection ports. Even though
guns functioned very well.

I've bought a few used 870 riot guns and Wingmasters, and a few used Mossbergs 500, 590, 835, in my day, and used a bunch more. They seem equally rugged and reliable for my use shooting under 1000rds/yr (they short stroke equally well :o ) and the differences seem mostly negligible and superficial.

Perhaps Remington triggers are easier to work on, but I really don't think most people would care.

If I was looking for a good pump shotgun (and I always seem to be looking for a good used pump shotgun under $200!) I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one.

Being that all pump shotguns are judged against the standard of all pump guns, the 870, how does the Mossberg stand up against the 870 in your opinion? I was looking at the Blue Book of Gun Values and noticed that none of their firearms have ever been prized for very much money. Why is that? My take on them as it stands now is that their shotguns are perfectly serviceable and a bit less cost than the 870 so if one wants to take a shotgun into miserable conditions and it still work, get a Mossberg, but is the action generally as reliable as the 870? Is the pump action as durable as the 870? Etc., etc.. Thanks!

If you're going to buy a gun today I would not recommend buying anything made by Remington. I do own a Remington 870 myself but I got it back in 2001 and back then Remington was making good quality guns. Remington does not make them like they used to so I would not buy any of the junk they're pumping out today. Its sad how Remington used to be one of the best firearm companies around and now they're nothing like what they used to be. That being said I would definitely go with a Mossberg over a Remington but that's only because Im dead set against any of the stuff Remington sells today. I don't own any Mossbergs but I do believe they make decent guns. Nevertheless, for a shotgun I would want to go with an FN or better yet a Benelli. They are a bit more expensive, especially the Benelli, but you get what you pay for.

clay birds

My brother in law is one of those guys that shoots trap with an 870, and his round count with minor repairs, is astronomical, just as eastbank advised in post #26......something like 40,000 rds, 10 years ago.

I suspect that the steel on steel action of the 870 is more durable over the long term with heavy shooting, than the alloy on steel build of the Mossberg, but that is speculation. For the average guy, going through a few boxes every small game season, no big deal, but 50,000 rounds may take a toll on an alloy gun. Another reason the Mossberg may not surface in the clay bird games to any degree is that the alloy framed guns are generally a tad lighter unless weighted, and tend to kick more. I shot a 3.5" 12 ga. heavy turkey load in a Mossberg 835 for grins, and can tell you it will get your attention.

My own experience with the 870 and faults is having to replace carrier dog springs on several at work after a decade.......and on my turkey gun( after 30 yrs) as well, to correct lazy feeding. Also, a common problem with the 870 can be the shell stops, retained in their channels by peening, coming loose after much shooting (as at the LE academy) or I suspect, remaining loaded (full magazine) very long term, in the patrol function. Regards the Mossberg, I have heard the plastic safety tang criticized before.

Have owned and used both and consider both good shotguns. The feel and balance of the 870 fits me better and I prefer it's steel receiver. Overall the 500 seems a bit simpler to me and I prefer it's safety location.and open loading port. I would rather shoot the 870, but prefer carrying (hunting with) the 500.

I suspect that the steel on steel action of the 870 is more durable over the long term with heavy shooting, than the alloy on steel build of the Mossberg, but that is speculation.

When it comes to "steel on steel", the Mossberg bolt/chamber relationship is steel on steel. The aluminum alloy receiver merely serves as a "housing" where the steel parts work together inside of.

Whew, all the bad mouthing of Remington. I bought a new, well shot just once, Wingmaster and four friends bought new Expresses for our "pump gun" SCs league and none of them have given anyone a problem. We all put on the extended magazines because we shoot six shots per station, all report birds. Only screw up is guys not use to shooting a pump is short stroking them. I'm not saying they didn't have problems before the bankruptcy, but since have gotten back to business. There's probably eight or ten 870s total in the league, new and old. Everyone is happy with them. PhotonGuy, are you complaining from personal experience or just repeating what others are saying ? You didn't say what Remington you bought since 2001 that was junk.

With the 590A1 the 2 things it does need is a magazine spring replacement (Wolff). The 500/590 springs are notoriously weak but at least with the 590 it can easily be replaced.
Also they use some goofy screw on the safety, can't remember the name of it but it can only be tightened and not loosened without a special screwdriver. I got rid of mine and put a normal cap screw on it.

My first shotgun at 21 (in 1988) was a Remington 870. Still have it and I have shot Elk to mini clays with it, never a hitch in function. I need to keep something on the parkerizing or it will start to rust. I really like my Ithaca 37 and the BPS design. Have a Nova and a Stoeger P3000 which would be in the running of the top three I would pick along with the FN P12 for a defensive shotgun. The rotating bolt is something I desire, especially with full power slugs and buck and I would take any of those three over the Mossberg or the Remington.

Back