Mosin Nagant or Mauser 98?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can be skeptical ChicagoTex, but that doesn't change how she shoots. I'm talking about the real deal a Tula Sniper Mosin.

Even so, 2" at 600 meters is nigh-impossible. How many rounds is the group?

You're also being a little misleading, as the Nagant the OP is considering would be nowhere near as well-built as yours.

WOW

2" at 600 meters. Thats 1/3 MOA. Never heard of a Mosin Nagant that was in the bencrest class for accuracy. Or even close. 10 shots in 2 inches at 600 meters? WOW!

Please give us the details of the rifle, ammo, and how many matches you have won with that tremendous shooter!

save some money and get a Mosin, ammos is cheap, and the rifle is cheap. i have both but i'd rather dirty up my Mosin than my Mauser. both excellent rifles so you cant go wrong either way

I have my dad's bringback which is a dou. 44 K98 German Mauser. He took it straight from the crate in a German warehouse. Unfortunately he cut the stock down in length and width. I kept the original stock and put it in another stock from Norway. I would say the metal is about 98% and yes the bolt matches. I have cared for this gun since I was about 10-12 years of age and I am now 49 years old. Dad passed on about 2 years back. Hope you like this picture.

Attachments

• K98-a.jpg
    K98-a.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 85
  • K98-g.jpg
    K98-g.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 65
Dude, go with the Mosin. Mine shoots 2" at 600 meters. Trust me, you won't be disapointed.

Why do people make claims like this in a GUN FORUM full of ENTHUSIASTS? This may fly in the presence of the uninformed, but did you really expect anyone here to believe that? Honestly.

...2" at 600 meters...10 shot group letting the barrel cool between rounds.

I'm always impressed by how well the people on this forum shoot.
If I could shoot half that well I'd change my name to Natty Bumppo.

Get the Mauser as they are not as plentiful. My gun shop always has 2 rows of different types of Mosins.. Mausers are harder to find (at least around here).

I have two mousers a 98 and a yugo and one mosen. The mousers have seen better days but the yugo will give the mosen a run for its money. But the mouser is the gun that started it all, THE FIRST bolt action! The mosen is just a cheap copy, designed for fast build and longer tool life to get pitch forks out of the hands of the Russian army. My mosin is also a peace of history but the gun I would take hunting in the rain. Because of its price its also the gun that most kids show up with at the range.

Joe

As for good prices, visited the Gander Mt. in Saginaw, MI three days ago, just east of Fashion Square Mall.
They had about four MN 91/30s, each listed at $89, and they looked good at first glance. Much better than those at our gun shows.
People can not mount scopes on most MNs unless a gunsmith 'bends' the bolt.

Gander has a 10% discount now on some items.
Did not check the MNs very closely, being distracted by a new, general imitation of a LE "Jungle Carbine" ($600). The friendly staff don't know when they will receive any MN 44s.

Distance

I was picking off Elk off of my back porch with my Red Ryder at 750 yards out.
The fact that I had to hit them in the eye made it a little tougher, but you can't make it too easy on yourself.

Either one can be good or either one can suck.

Don't believe the hype: we're at the bottom of the barrel with regards to Mausers, and there are some real dogs out there.

Point being, check both out thoroughly.

Both have fairly cheap surplus available, fairly cheap commercial available, both can be handloaded. Pick the one you like best.

The Yugo 24/47s are fine, so long as you want to keep it the way it is, and not change stocks and whatnot.

BTW 2", 10-shot groups at 600 meters is easy.

Shoot 100 rounds, find 10 that are within 2", circle them, call the rest "called fliers". That's how gun magazines make a piece of ka-ka, pooh-pooh (****) sound like The Gun To Have.

" Dude, go with the Mosin. Mine shoots 2" at 600 meters. Trust me, you won't be disapointed."

Man! I'd put that on YouTube!!! That way you could bet all the skeptics big money and clean up!!!

No one here that has fraction of the training I do. I don't appreciate being called a liar. Before you start a flame war perhaps you should really evaluate your level of training and think real hard about your own abilities. Jealousy is an ugly thing.

2" at 600 meters. Thats 1/3 MOA. Never heard of a Mosin Nagant that was in the bencrest class for accuracy. Or even close. 10 shots in 2 inches at 600 meters? WOW!

It's actually better than that since a meter is longer than a yard. The trick is very fine handloading and repeatable, consistant sandbagging.

No one here that has fraction of the training I do. I don't appreciate being called a liar. Before you start a flame war perhaps you should really evaluate your level of training and think real hard about your own abilities. Jealousy is an ugly thing.
Well, since you brought it up, please provide us your riflery CV, there Quigley. :rolleyes:
That's a pretty bold ass statement. The only thing worse than jealousy here in my opinion is a blowhard who make outrageous claims and then gets sand in his panties when called to task on it. So.... care to let us all admire your resume or are you just gonna whine?
It's actually better than that since a meter is longer than a yard. The trick is very fine handloading and repeatable, consistant sandbagging.
See, this is just plain arrogance. I'd bet there are some members here who've forgotten more about shooting and reloading in the past 6 months than you've had a chance to yet learn.
EDIT: Holy crap, I see from your profile you make claim as to being a Marine, a gunny even. Let's make this clear, it perfectly legitimate as a Marine to brag about your shooting skills, your prowess with the women, and you're ability to take any objective, its what we do. But you make us all look bad when you insult people in cyberspace you've never met. So up with the resume or STFU.

Last edited:
No one here that has fraction of the training I do...Jealousy is an ugly thing.

So is ignorance ;). Glad to see you've evaluated the training of every other member here.

Fact is, no matter how "elite" you are, the standard Mosin isn't capable of that kind of accuracy by sheer engineering and build standards. Its not a "match grade" rifle by any means.

I don't care if you're Carlos-fing-Hathcock. There's always limitations to the tools you use no matter how good a job you do behind the trigger. To shoot a 2" 600 meter group with a Mosin would require some skill, yes, but I'd also say you found the leprechaun's pot-o-gold :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back