Mom here, looking for my first handgun, to use for CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
The .22LR is plenty accurate, more so than many of the larger calibers, but it does lack power (still a lot better than nothing) and the rim fire will be less reliable too. I prefer 9mm best of all for home defense and carry but the .380 is still a decent round and I'll often carry the Bersa Thunder .380 because it is smaller than my 9mm Cougar.

The Thunder .380 is reasonably small but still shoots nice (unlike many of the pocket pistols). It's reliable, and it's accurate (the well behaved shooting helps in that category). It's a nice solid gun at a great price and Bersa sells 9 round magazines to up the capacity if you'd like more than 7+1 rounds.

The best conceal carry gun is the one that you will have with you, and can shoot well. There are many fine firearms to choose from, but if it is too heavy, or large, you will tend not to take it with you, so that kind of defeats the whole idea of getting the permit. With a range gun, you shoot it a lot and carry it a little, so heavy is no problem. With a conceal carry gun you shoot it a little and carry it a lot, so weight of the gun becomes real noticeable. Stick a brick in your purse for a day, and you will get the idea.

You will have to find how light and how big of a caliber that YOU can handle. The lighter the gun, the more you will feel the recoil, same with larger bullets. What you find to be acceptable is entirely based on you. It may be you don't like to shoot larger than a 380, but then a XDS in 45 acp might just put a grin on your face.

A lot of gun ranges rent the different guns to try out at a reasonable cost. If you don't have one of those in your area, maybe there is a gun club, or go to a firing range and chat it up with people. If you ask, many people will let you try out their guns.

I have a Diamondback DB9 that I can pocket carry, so even in shorts and a t shirt, it can go anywhere with me. I don't find the recoil painful, but you may. Another small semi auto is the Ruger LC9. Kimber makes a number of models. PM9, CM9, etc. There is a small maker that seems to have improved their reliability and that is a SCCY CPX-2. Some swear by the Beretta Nano,(9mm). If price is no concern, There is Sig Sauer, they have many models. There are so many, I will not try to list them all, but try out as many as you can. If you find that you shoot a gun that weighs say 20 oz in 9mm without difficulty, then you can shop for other guns in that caliber and weight range.

Last edited:
Compromise,
Find a range that rents handguns and shoot everything, then decide,
When my wife went through this process, she met a Browning Hi Power and damn near eloped with it, I would NEVER, in a million years picked that gun for her as a first carry gun. She had to find what was good for her, no one else could do it for her. A couple of years later she met a Springfield Armory XD 9, it was like Harry Potter getting his wand, I saw the look on her face and knew we were coming home with another gun.
The only other advice I'd give is to take classes, both in basic handgun, and defensive handgun usage. Good Luck

I already recommended the Sig 938 or 238 which I have both and carry both at different times. Although for absolute simplicity, small & light weight I must confess I have IWB mostly the Taurus TCP.w/ a .45 in the car. I'll also say my wife shot tcp once and said it hurt and didn't want to shoot it anymore. It's diffidently not a range gun and much snappier than a much softer shooting Sig238 in the 380 category.it is however very small, light and easy to conceal. On a extreme emergency where you'd need it, I don't think you'd notice the recoil that much. What she has opted for is a 3" .357 revolver loaded with 38spl. It's carried in a purse.

I don't know why everyone knocks the .22lr for SD. I know the macho thing is bigger is better and while I don't carry a .22LR, but certain reasons, it has and does work for people every day.

If someone is NEW to shooting and is learning but needs a defensive gun, and is comfortable with a .22lr than I don't think we should scoff at it. Like others stated, a gun that is comfortable to the shooter allows them to practice more and allows them to become more confident with it. Sure 9mm is a great, mildly recoiling round, but to some never have shot before it can be too much recoil until you learn all the fundamentals.

There are certain circumstances where I would rather sell a person a .22lr and have them be able to quickly place 8/10 shots on paper, rather than the first shot with a 9mm on paper and the rest in the dirt or ceiling.

Is .22lr ammo less reliable, sure, because of its design, but I can honestly say with premium ammo, CCI Stingers, Mini Mags ect, I can't remember the last time I had a bad round, and I work for a gun store so I am still able to shoot 1000's of .22's because I get first dibs on it.:rolleyes:

I see all too many times guys bring their wives or girlfriends in and tell them what they NEED. Rather then even let them pick and choose and get someone else's opinion on the matter. A Glock 19 is a wonderful gun don't get me wrong but most women will not end up carrying it, heck most guys will ditch it some something smaller and lighter. We can sit here and tell people till we are blue in the face to practice and take classes and dress around the gun which we all know is the best advice, but im assuming your dentist also tells you that you should be flossing daily as well and I would bet over 50% of you don't.

Having owned a LCP Ruger gave me for free for selling a boat load of them I can honestly say I would never recommend them to anyone as a SD gun except for maybe a back up. More times than not we sell them and the people bring them back complaining about the recoil. The gun weighs 4oz, it is so tiny in .380 that they are not very pleasant to shoot. Some carry gun's aren't I get that, I owned a SW 340PD. However just because someone is looking to carry a gun or keep one in the house for personal protection, does not mean they are going to be a gun aficionado.

The best advice anyone can give her is hold and if AT ALL POSSIBLE shoot as many different guns as she can until she finds one she likes.... regardless of caliber.

I get the same crap regurgitated over and over all day at the shop. Even guys who are regulars who know me know I generally carry a 1911 in .45 and look at me sideways when I stand up for a .22lr or .32acp or .380's and 5.7x28.. or 9mm to the .45acp or bigger crowd. I personally carry a 4'' 1911 a lot because I grew up shooting 1911's its what I know its what I am comfortable and confident with. My favorite right now is a 9mm:eek:

I don't care about the name or the caliber stamped on the side, a persons BEST self defense gun is the one they shoot the most, hands down. I don't carry if Navy Seals and Green Berets carry it or if they don't. If someone personally spends the most trigger time with a gun and going through the motions of reloads and handling, under stress it will prove to be the best for them. If its a .22lr for your wife and a .50AE Desert Eagle for you so be it, but let people pick their own.

I just had a police officer in the store with his girlfriend and her parents picking out a handgun for her to CCW cuz shes a bartender, he told her she wanted a Ruger SR9c, so I simply asked how she planned to carry it, and she said she wasn't sure, probably on her body because she uses a small clutch and not a purse. Body carry I think is great but based on her wardrobe of Yoga pants and a shirt that barely covered her navel I doubt she will end up trying to IWB carry a SR9c. I showed her the SW M&P Shield, explained it has a manual and trigger safety just like the Ruger, both great guns, but its skinnier and more comfortable to carry, she liked it, but her cop BF told her she needed the Ruger.:rolleyes: I will bet money she will end up trading it back in on a smaller gun sometime in the next month, because I see it happen ALL the time.

I am not one of these gun nuts that wear a vest or a fanny pack at all times I am in my twenties so I still dress "normal" and it is easy for me in the winter to pass off a full size gun under a button up or a hoody or jacket and jeans. In the summer when I am usually in shorts and a golf polo sometimes I switch to a smaller firearm depending on the situation. The important part is HAVING a gun on you, and not getting one that you will end up leaving at home because its too cumbersome.

Last edited:
Compromise,
Look at the Sig P238/P938. My mom (also a mother of 3, me the oldest at 18) has these and loves them. She has systemic lupus affecting her joints and needed something easy to shoot and rack. These guns are awesome, small, accurate. The 238 is a .380 and the 938 is a 9mm but after shooting both, I feel very little difference in either. If you want the 9mm, it's just a hair bigger and I think it fits in my hands better.

I could not recommend these guns more, they're what I would carry if I were old enough. I think they're smaller than the Bersa .380 even.

I have small enough hands most full size guns don't fit well. A Glock 27 is little big for my hands, although the length of the grip is almost enough for me to get all of my fingers on it. If your hands are too small to fit the full size guns properly you have advantage over others when shooting the compacts that are too small for their hands. That is what I prefer to carry because I want the capacity of a double stack magazine. If I did not want the extra rounds the first thing I would look at is a Kahr CW pistol. CW9 or CW45. Maybe CW380, but 9mms are getting so compact I'm not sure there is much to a 380 except lower recoil. I'm quite sure you could get a 380 power load in a 9mm casing if you really wanted to get the same recoil. In a small compact handgun recoil is a big part of the game.
My centerfire target pistol is a T9 and it both fits my hands well and is very well made. THe CW series does not have the trim the T series does, but the ones I have seen are still well made. I did need customer service on my T9 when it was new and the experience with Kahr was probably the best CS experience I have ever had.

I have a PPK 380 that is nice, but it is considerably more heavy and the design is generally not as reliable out of box as the modern compacts. Mine has had several modification to the spring in order to cycle the rounds I use in it and I imagine it would need to be modified again to shoot a different loading.

You have to pick what you want though.
For a first pistol, a revolver is a good choice. No one regrets having something like a S&W .38 Special. You can get 2" or 3" barrels.
I'd agree with that. I'd suggest trying out the LCR. A S+W J frame has nearly unlimited options for aftermarket grips which allow you to change it to fit your hand.

On rimfires:
The cheap bulk 22lr I've shot thousands of rounds of has a lot more misfires than centerfire ammunition. I am not sure the difference is all that great with the more expensive CCI minimags and such. I used a P22 with CCI maximags as my first defensive handgun. I was pretty confident I had a whole lot more gun than I probably needed. It was a good start and have never regretted it. I'd carry one again if I had to sell off my centerfires or something.

Last edited:
Just my two cents here, but I'd still get a dog. Self defense issues aside, they're fantastic company and can alert you to strangers being on the property...besides, dogs are wonderful....I think so anyway...:D

Just my two cents here, but I'd still get a dog. Self defense issues aside, they're fantastic company and can alert you to strangers being on the property...besides, dogs are wonderful....I think so anyway...:D

That's all well and good, but... A German Shepard or similar may not mix well with fearless 5 & 6 yo's pulling there ears etc. it would be a good idea, but not around the kids and you'd still need the gun too

I like these small S&W 38 Special revolvers. No flippers, no levers, and no hammer to snag on anything. Simple is good, especially under stress ful conditions. Semi automatics require lots of training which may get flushed down the toilet when the adrenaline hits.

Smith and Wesson makes a Ladysmith line of revolvers in which the trigger geometries were adjusted to the hand strength of women.

Compromise, welcome. Let me suggest that each time you visit this thread you re-read pax' post 13. That will help you stay grounded in reality.

For example, S&W alloy frame snob nose revolvers have their uses, and I have a couple. But in my experience they can also be nasty to shoot. I won't recommend them as a good choice for a first gun. Save them for another time.

As for what would be a good choice for a self defense gun, pretty much any good quality, reliable gun in a reasonable caliber will serve your needs as long as (1) you can manage it properly; and (2) you train and practice with it enough to be proficient with it.

Now as to what you can manage properly, the only way for you to really know is to try. In general, very small, light guns and very powerful, heavy guns (and very powerful light guns) will most likely be difficult to manage. But that still leaves a lot of territory -- from SIG .380s to Glock 19s to S&W K frames even to Commander size 1911s.

I'm with a group that puts on regular NRA Basic Handgun classes. As part of the class students will handle and shoot a variety of guns in a variety of calibers. Both the men and women find some gun work better for them than others. Also, the women have generally been able to handle well at least one, but usually two or all, of the various mid-size guns we make available for students to try.

So the bottom line is that you will need to try various guns and make your own choice. If you can find a class that let's you try different guns, that would be very helpful to you. If there's a range near you that rents different guns, that would also helpful to you.

KY does not allow carry into a daycare center. As previously mentioned you'll need to check state law on that issue.

Also the gun will need to be locked up when not on your person. Cannot just leave it in a dresser or purse when you sleep or make dinner. This should have been the FIRST thing pointed out in this thread, not what gun you should buy.

On a side note we have a customer that got her first carry gun last year, a Charter Arms 38 revolver with laser. It was 'chosen' for her as she has trouble racking semiauto slides. After a range trip, she desperately hates it and wants something "with less kick".

"Freak out moment"...

If you think, in a real critical incident, you might "freak out" :eek: then I wouldn't suggest any loaded firearm for you.
You might want to start with a EDW(electric discharge weapon) or Taser. Or maybe OC spray like Sabre Green or Fox Labs.
Telling people you "don't feel safe" or "may freak out" with loaded guns isn't a great plan, IMO. :rolleyes:
The recent "high profile court case" in central Florida should show you that your statements actions purchases training etc could be subject to scrutiny by a prosecutor or LE investigator.

The "hey, so what" or "my daddy's ___" isn't always going to cut it.

ClydeFrog

Compromise,

I am adding to this thread without the encumbrance of reading all the posts nor having kids...as such, I am the perfect impartial commentator.

You may be tempted to get gun locks -several revolvers have them integral in the design, and cheap trigger locks are readily available. Many women with children see great benefit to these.

I would suggest you talk to people with experience in the self defence area before stocking up on gun locks. A gun needs to go bang when needed. Fumbling for a key to a lock will probably not work well for you.

A day care situation pretty well mandates a safe of some type. Get one child-proof and not adult proof. A quick entry model should keep unsupervised hands away but still allow quick access to you.

Don't hide your guns from your kids. Keep the out of reach, yes. But go over with your kids that these objects can hurt people and only mommy is to touch them.

My wife was brilliant at that when she had her grandchild for overnight stays. The guns were known to him from the age of 2. Thet were not hidden, but out of reach. They were never considered some powerful, magical item of reverence, but just another thing kicking around that he should not touch, like the oven or the microwave or the wood stove

Look at a GLock 26 9mm. Small, light, holds 10+1rds of 9mm an recoil is easy. Very reliable and accurate and when you need it, it works.

A revolver isn't a bad option, but you're limiting ammo capacity and honestly in a little 13-15oz snubbie, even the 38 Special can get kind of stingy in the recoil department. The 26 would give you over twice the capacity, more power in a lower recoiling gun.

There are other small 9mm options, but the GLock is very simple to work with. Plus the slide is easy to manipulate, on some small semi autos the slide is kind of hard to rack, but not on a Glock. You can then put a set of good night sights on it, and you'll have the perfect CC gun.

Last edited:
Compromise,

A gun that might be used to save one's life should be the best gun one can afford.

Short story a whole lot shorter: a good quality semiauto chambered in .40 S&W or .45 ACP.

Learning how to use a semiauto is not difficult. You should be good to go within an hour or two.

Try the M&P Shield. It's light, small, shoots well and is a 9mm. If you want something smaller and lighter in 380ACP, go for the ruger LCP. You can't go wrong with either one.

Handle the Bersa and make sure you can reach the safety. It will give you one hard double action pull with the remainder of shots being a lighter pull, until you run it dry or put it on 'safe'. If it works OK with ball ammo, load it with that until you prove it reliable with hollow-points.

Beyond that I would recommend that you at least try a small revolver. The Ruger SP101 is a tad heavy but may be the softest kicking snub on the market. 38 wadcutters are a decent compromise (no pun intended) of low recoil and terminal effectiveness.

And don't get lost in the myriad of choices and suggestions. You simply want a reliable gun that is comfortable and cheao enough to shoot it often; along with sufficient penetration to punch through the torso. Everything else is sailboat fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back