Mom here, looking for my first handgun, to use for CC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's your pistol and your choice, not your husbands. Get what feels good in your hand and is simple to carry and use, even if you have to pay for it yourself.

For a first pistol, a revolver is a good choice. No one regrets having something like a S&W .38 Special. You can get 2" or 3" barrels.

If you are comfortable with a semi-automatic, Ruger or Kahr make good little
.380 and 9mm models.

What you do not want to do is just toss a pistol in your purse. For holsters, more than one is generally the rule. Inside the waist under a top is one, ankle holster is another, and outside the waist under a jacket is another. Waist packs may be another option at some times.

It's something you need to carry on your person, so make sure hubby knows he's on the hook for a new wardrobe as well!

Don't forget new shoes !

Hello and WELCOME!!!

My wife is not recoil shy ( as you say you are not) but she does have smallish hands. None of my guns fit her well.

I took her to the SHOT show last year and she held just about every handgun available.

Her choice as the most comfortable.... Kahr CW9

Single stack mag so its not a huge grip to try to hold. 9mm stopping power. Easy trigger to use ( not to stiff like some ). Full length frame so your whole hand is on it (pinky not hanging out in space)

She REALLY likes it. As always YMMV:D

Do yourself a favor and do not count out a revolver just because what your husband thinks. Revolvers are reliable and simple to use. You might find you like them.

I, personally, like the Ruger SP101. It is slightly larger heavier than a Smith and Wesson J-frame, but not as big as a Smith and Wesson K-frame. I carry the 2.25" .357 model and load it with .38 specials. It conceals very well and absorbs enough recoil to be a nice shooter.

I have the spurred version, but if I could do it over again, I would most likely get the spur-less version (easier to draw without snags http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5720.html )

My wife is also going through the permit process. I brought her to the range and we shot my SP101 .22lr revolver and my SP101 .357. We started off with the 22lr and she quickly wanted to try something a bit more powerful. I had with me a few different .38 special ammunition types and she tried out some. She liked the Hornady 90 grain FTX load I had bought, for this occasion, a lot. It is basically, approx, a .380 load in .38 special case ( http://www.hornady.com/store/38-Special-90-gr-FTX-Critical-Defense-lite/ ). Some of the heavier weighted .38 specials she was ok with, but I could see her starting to flinch a bit, so we backed off. She likes the revolvers because they are very intuitive to use.

Anyway... Try them all out and if your husband tries to second guess your choices.. well, there is this look my wife gives me... she kinda raises one eyebrow and does this look I know oh so well. I'm sure you have something similar that will get across the point ;)

My wife and I both have Ruger LCP'S, and I also carry on occasion a LC9 which is a small 9mm. in a Crossbreed holster.

The rubber grip covers make a world of differance when firing either one.
Hogue on the LCP, and Pachmayr on the LC9.
Now I dont mind shooting a box of rounds with the LCP.

Ruger also makes the LC380 which is basically the LC9 in 380. cal.
that has less recoil than the LCP.

Attachments

• LCP + LC9.JPG
    LCP + LC9.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 26
Pistols are a very personal thing. We all develop likes or dislikes based on our own perceptions.

My wife is a shooter. Her first pistol was a Beretta Neos .22lr and she is deadly accurate with that. I don't have any doubts that she could put 10 rounds rapidly into the center of a man's chest with it from 15 yards. She wanted to try my 9mm Ruger P89 and my .45 acp Springfield 1911 Loaded. She hates the Ruger because of felt recoil and loves the 1911. Essenetially she has taken my 1911 as her bed side gun or her beside her on the couch if she is home alone gun.

Try alot of different pistols and different calibers too. I may be in the minority here but putting 10 rounds of .22lr into an assailants chest or face will slow or stop a good chunk of intruders. More than several misses with a bigger caliber pistol ever will. Does that make the .22lr the best choise? Not by a long stretch. But is does make it better than nothing.

What ever you decide on the key word is practice, practice, and then practice some more. Carrying a gun means being able to use it properly and practice is the only way to ensure that.

To those that posted about drug crazed individuals, sometimes no matter how many times you shoot them they aren't going to go down. There was a widely reported story several years ago of a man high on, I believe, PCP that took a 2 or 3 dozen 9mm rounds, a couple of rounds of 12 gauge buck and was still up fighting. They finally stopped him by running him over with a squad car.

One more thing – you do need to get yourself into a good class. It's okay take a class taught by a man (those can be some of the best classes, in fact), but try to avoid ones taught by men who "allow" their wives to help them teach. If it's taught by a husband and wife team, try to find one where the wife is equally competent, equally confident, and just as well informed as her husband. If she is not, it is a good bet that he is not a good teacher for women no matter what he claims.

pax

Just wanted to drop in a quick suggestion-- please check the laws in Missouri about your ability to carry concealed while running a daycare. IMO, being around & in care of children is perhaps the finest time any of us could carry, but "day care" is often a major anti-gun buzzword in the same way that "church", "hospital", "school" and "government building" is toward legal, prudent, concealed carry.

Good people get caught up in this nonsense all the time. The laws only affect those of us who follow them, the bad guys don't care much about the laws or breaking them.

Stay safe and stay legal!

My input....

On the gun & tactics forums, you'll get a variety of responses.
Depending on your resources & budget, I would suggest renting or borrowing a few models to shoot.
A semi-auto is not what I would choose for you. A simple stainless 5/6/7 round DA(double action) or DA only(no cocking or single action) revolver in .38spl +P or .357magnum.
You can buy a used or police trade in .357magnum or .38spl revolver then train with it. New revolvers like a Ruger LCR or a SP101 or a S&W 66 2.5" barrel would do fine.
A DA only snub is small, lightweight & easy to deploy in a critical incident.
As your skills & marksmanship improve you can move on to a DA only pistol.
I suggest a DA only revolver or pistol because you won't be falsely accused of cocking a hammer or firing recklessly in a lethal force incident.
DA only sidearms are common with many sworn LE agencies & armed professionals. You also avoid having spurs catch on clothing or pockets if you conceal the weapon.
As noted, Id take a few training classes with a good instructor or program. Some gun classes are better then others. Take a workshop or seminar first then decide if the course/cadre are mature adults & good teachers or just slick hucksters who want to tell you stories.
Learn the gun laws & use of force standards of your area too. There are many sources available to new license holders & gun owners. There are videos, books & guides out there.

Keep your firearm clean & check it often. Learn to maintain it & know how to load/unload it. The gun industry has several high quality cleaning products out there.
Finally, only use factory made ammunition for carry/defense. No hand loads or reloads. Well made LE type ammunition is suggested.

Clyde
www.nra.org www.gunzilla.us www.handgunlaw.us www.gunlawguide.com www.gunvideo.com www.brownells.com www.deltapress.com www.paladin-press.com www.midwayusa.com www.natchezss.com www.mpro7.com www.weaponshield.com www.gunsamerica.com www.jgsales.com www.slickguns.com www.galls.com www.safariland.com www.usgalco.com www.policehq.com

Do not rule out compromising on your style and selection of wardrobe when looking to start carrying concealed. If you limit your firearm choices based on the wardrobe you currently have, you do yourself a disfavor.
There are plenty of 9mm choices that are comfortable to shoot and carry. A compact firearm is rarely going to be comfortable to shoot. Midsize is better. Go try and handle some pistols at a gunstore, see what fits you best.

my wifes first gun was a light semi-auto 9mm, a sccy cpx-1, similar to kel-tec pf9, she had a difficult time with the lightweight and the recoil and rackiing the stiff slide

she now has a taurus poly protector in 357mag which she shoots 38special with, she has become a very capable shooter because of changing to this gun, it is still lightweight and concealable and it shoots very easily without having to hassle with racking slides and jams etc, she absolutely loves this gun and wishes she had it to begin with

she also does well with a full size semi-auto nine, but too big for carry
please go to the range and try a couple of things out and the gun will decde for you on your purchase
http://s998.photobucket.com/user/nw...t=3&o=5&_suid=1388095128084013439334881646286

good luck and congratulations on deciding to take your protection into your own hands

i personally prefer 9milli for myself

Last edited:
self defense and kids

I trust you will also give a lot of thought about how to keep those wonderful kids safe from the gun itself -- quick access and child-proof takes some thought and $$$!

budget, name brands....

If your budget or $ is a issue, I'd buy a used or LE trade in before I'd buy a off brand or lower quality design.
If you save up you can get a decent revolver or pistol. A proven design like Beretta Glock HK S&W Ruger Kahr Walther SIG Sauer etc is far better than a cheap model that will break or misfire.
A simple stainless steel 3/4" barrel .38spl can protect you. A semi auto pistol could work but they are not best for brand new gun owners.
Safety, cleaning storage, carry etc are what new gunners need.

Compromise, my wife began shooting with a .22 because that is what she was comfortable with. It is not the best self defense choice, but it is better than nothing for sure. What we discovered over time and training is that she began to be more comfortable with stronger calibers and recoil as she continued to go to the range and practice. Over time she moved from .22lr to a .380. After a while she tried a revolver in .38 special and really liked that.

I was encouraged as she moved to more powerful loads because I knew she could defend herself better. She tried 9mm and 45 acp, but most recently has settled on 357 magnum. I tell you this because having started with a less powerful round and moved up, she did not develop bad shooting techniques trying to compensate for recoil. She moved up when she felt ready and not until. She uses a Smith and Wesson 686+ with a six inch barrel at the range now and carries the same with a short barrel.

I agree with Pax on everything she said.

Let me just add that there are introductory handgun classes that will let you try several different types of handguns. So taking classes before you buy might be a good idea.

I would strongly suggest getting a lawyer to give you advise on the legality of carrying in your home business.

I don't know how to quote people But..

My husband currently owns about 22 rifles/guns etc. so YES we have the safety covered because as I mentioned above.. I personally had 2 terrible experiences with guns when I was younger and spent half my life scared to death of them. They are locked in a gun safe upstairs behind 2 locked doors 99% of the time. we NEVER have them out during daycare hours or even while our kids are awake. We have ONE at the ready but again.. its in a VERY secure location that the kids cannot reach OR get to (all the kids are under age 5, my own and daycare) and they are NOT in the daycare area.

As for the one who suggested a dog. That was my hubbys choice. I gave him the choice of a family dog for protection OR my CCP for xmas. He chose the CCP. He said, a dog can only protect you so far, then you have to protect yourself.

I am NOT ruling ANY type or style or size out until I have shot it. I am NOT taking this lightly and I will NOT be TOLD what I HAVE to get or use because as you all mentioned, I will be the one carrying it and shooting it, not my hubby.

I am signing up for training. My husband and his parents are really good friends with our areas TOP Conceal carry trainer (his mom is a trainer as well but that wouldn't be too pretty) and HE is going to be my trainer.. one on one instead of a class setting as he knows my prior issues with guns in general and will be able to help me get past that if I do have a freak out moment.

I also refused to be taught by my husband as well, not just his mom. :)

If I had a vote, and I don't, I'd say rather than try 50 different guns, try breaking that 50 into groups, based on 1) trigger systems 2) size/weight 3) caliber.

Figure out what trigger you like (DAO, DA/SA, SAO, Striker) and that will narrow things down quite a bit.

My first handgun was a 1911 ..... anything other than a single action trigger ...... now, for me, is just not up to snuff .....

without question

I have no hesitation at all, for a green beginner like yourself, to recommend a 5-6 shot revolver in .38 Spl. If you intend to carry it on your person (you should) than something like a Chief's Special (.38 snub), Detective Special (colt), etc.

If you are looking for a "house gun" , something along the lines of a a 6 shot Smith/colt/Ruger "K-frame" , ie Model 10, 15, 19, or Security six.

Open it up, fill the holes with ammo, close and pull trigger to shoot. When it stops shooting, open, dump empty cases, and repeat.

Get some training/instruction from a reputable source and a good mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back