Modern day pistol to win 1881 gunfight?

The aforementioned Ed McGivern was once asked if he could beat the Old West legends in a gun fight. He replied that he was fast enough but that he would probably lose because he was not a killer, and they were.

FWIW, a calrotic pistol is sort of like the old-fashioned phaser except that it discharges a beam of intense heat that slices through anything in its path. Its range is almost limitless and there is no drop, so fixed sights are adequate.

(Of course it can be anything I want, since I am making it up, but then people do that all the time as I find out in discussions of the latest and greatest wonder guns.)

Jim

dahermit said:
A lot of posters here are missing the point of the original post...it was about a fast-draw contest, not about a gunfight.

It appears that you may be missing the point. If the original poster wasn't talking about a gunfight, why in the world did he post "what modern pistol would provide the best advantage in such a gunfight"?

TXAZ from Post #1 said:
There is a wide variety of revolvers used in this circa 1881 gun fight. Some impressive state-of-the-art, well oiled precision machines of the time, others Civil War relics of questionable reliability.

The question to you is, what modern day pistol (semi or wheel) would provide THE BEST advantage in such a gunfight and why (assuming it could be transported back in time.)

A revolver would still win, 6 shots and speed loads. I would take a revolver just to prove a point over single shot of the day. lol

I didmissed this thread for the most part early on, but each time I see it I have to think about it a bit and I came up with my answer.

A revolver. Big bore. At least 50 caliber, BUT...

A relatively light bullet and slow velocity. 900 FPS or so. Plenty of power for that sort of unarmored, coverless, clos range shooting.

Back