Model 41 stove piping

Let me correct that. The pin was lightly oiled but not gunked up. I put it back together dry as is my practice. Forgive my poor memory.

But I really do feel the extractor was not gripping the rim as was shown in a previous picture. The new VQ extractor solved that.

Let me correct that. The pin was lightly oiled but not gunked up. I put it back together dry as is my practice. Forgive my poor memory.

But I really do feel the extractor was not gripping the rim as was shown in a previous picture. The new VQ extractor solved that.

The good thing is, we both seemed to have cured our similar malfunctions. I agree a bad extractor and ejector will cause stove pipes, because I have had problems in other weapons with those things. I also have had issues with poor ignition due to weak mainsprings. When I started both my M46 and M41 I changed the mainspring and the recoil springs. At an indoor match, one shooter was experiencing stove piping with a very old M41, That was cured when I lent the shooter a spare recoil spring. That recoil spring was one of my older ones, it was slightly shorter, but still use able. It was considerably longer than the recoil spring in the shooter's M41.

This is the first time I have noticed function improvement simply due to cleaning out oil in the firing pin channel. I have started to blow out the firing pin channel with compressed air when cleaning the pistol. I bought an air compressor simply for this job. I may knock out the firing pin once a year, at the end of the shooting season. This is something that I will have to pay attention to in my maintenance procedures and schedules. I will continue shooting my M41 and if stove pipes start happening again, I will replace the extractor and extractor spring and check the length of the recoil spring.

I will have to check my data books but I am firing around 3000 rounds a year through my 22 lr target pistols. Primarily I am shooting the M46, followed by the M41, and once in a while I am using my Ruger MKII.

HTsKjB7.jpg

LV7Wg0a.jpg

XDe298d.jpg

Back