Model 41 stove piping

The only issues I've had with mine in about 35 years has been ammo related. Nothing whatever to do with the extractor or the mags.
Smith 41's are extremely and notoriously fussy about the ammo they'll both shoot well and cycle the action using. And no 2 will shoot and cycle the same ammo. It is essential you try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your pistol likes. The price of it makes no difference.
And there is no problem using any flavour of high velocity. Even stuff like Yellow Jackets(discontinued. sniff.) and Stingers, etc. work just fine.
What's it do with high velocity ammo?
A S&W 2206 is not a 41.
"...it should work every time..." Lotta stuff like that.

Something to check is can the "bolt" be pulled back far enough to pick up a new round before the expended round gets to the ejector? What I am pointing to here is if the ammo you are using doesn't stroke the action far enough to eject then the round being picked up will have interference from the previously fired round.
I would try some high velocity rounds before going a lot further.

@Walt Sherrill I tried cycling out a spent casing manually ahead of a live round as you suggested. The case stuck in the chamber and the problem was recreated.

I suppose that might suggest a tight chamber or a weak extractor. The extractor edge is straight and sharp BTW.

@Jim Watson So is the oil meant to lube the chamber? I'll try it.

@ T O'Heir I have not tried any high velocity. Just higher than standard. I do have a few boxes of Mini Mags on hand. Though I would prefer more accurate loads.

@ShootistPRS I also cycled a mag of live rounds manually and they all ejected nicely.

I may have found something...

The extractor edge stands proud of the rim a few thousandths. It looks like maybe it should sit lower.

Should it be touching the top of the rim?

20170801_182405_resized.jpg

That's the best I can do at the moment. Should there be that much air in between the extractor and the top of the rim?

Last edited:
I'd take the gun, and a spent case to a local gunsmith, and have HIM look at it... and I'd take some .22 ammo with me, so he can test-fire it. Beats sending it back to the factory -- and unless S&W pays the shipping, it'll be cheaper, too. If they'll pay shipping, send them a couple of spent cases, too.

As I said earlier, I know NOTHING about S&W 41s, but I would think the extractor should be in CONTACT with the case rim until the casing hits the ejector.

I'd also compare the spent casing rim size with some other brand of ammo, to see whether the ammo might be out of spec.

Rough extraction will impede the slide. The slide still moves, but is slower. So, while the extractor is working hard to pull the empty out, it's not moving as fast as it should. This means the spent shell does not strike the ejector with as much energy as it should. If the slide is moving forward under the power of the slide spring, the shell may not have cleared the ejection port yet. Hence the stovepipe while the fresh shell is attempting to enter the chamber.

I'd clean the chamber first. Brass or copper stick with slot cut down the center to hold 400 grit emery paper. Mark the polishing stick so you don't go into the bore.

My M41 extractor is SLIGHTLY closer to the front edge of the rim than in turtlehead's picture. The beak is against the side of the case above the rim.

Should not a blowback blow out the empty without an extractor? Beretta makes pocket pistols with no extractor at all.

My M41 extractor is SLIGHTLY closer to the front edge of the rim than in turtlehead's picture. The beak is against the side of the case above the rim.

Should not a blowback blow out the empty without an extractor? Beretta makes pocket pistols with no extractor at all.
The extractor has to hold the case with correct tension so the ejector can do it's job correctly.

Jim

I did order the VQ extractor but there may have been an issue with the order. Have not received confirmation and my account has not been charged. Will have to call them tomorrow.

That spacing does seem like the problem to me. Looking forward to seeing what the new extractor looks like in there. Polishing the chamber also sounds like a good idea. So I will do those two things first and see where it's at.

I'll post up a picture with the new extractor whenever it comes. Shouldn't take but a few minutes to install. Had hoped to receive it this week and test this weekend. But I guess not. :(

VQ extractor came today. Hope to install it tomorrow or Friday and test the pistol this weekend. Will post up a picture when it's in. We'll see if the fit looks better.

Tuning an extractor could also be filing away at the part that rests against the slide. This causes the claw to reach deeper into rim.

Or it could be polishing the extractor face too, the areas to be polished dependent upon the contact desired with the rim.

"Smith 41's are extremely and notoriously fussy about the ammo they'll both shoot well and cycle the action using. And no 2 will shoot and cycle the same ammo."

I get the same issue with 2 5.5" High Standard Victor's. My guess is there's a slight difference with the chambers. One of these days I'm going to use a spent casing and expand the mouth so as to feel the length of the chambers.

Am lacks about 22LR because my focus has always been center-fire.

Just installed the new extractor. It rests against the junction of the case and rim. If anything, it may be a hair too tight. So thank you Gary for that advice. Filing the outside edge would back the claw off a bit.

Couldn't get a good pic illustrating the difference so here is a bad cell phone pic of the pistol. M41.jpg

Will be testing this weekend. I sure hope this works. Really believe I'm on the right track now. :)

Edit: The pic came out pretty nice. :D

Man, that's great! I'm glad you got it functioning right. Those things are a hoot once they run right, aren't they?

Back