Md: The Cheye Calvo raid...

But officials insisted they acted within the law, saying the operation was compromised when Calvo's mother-in-law saw officers approaching the house and screamed. That could have given someone time to grab a gun or destroy evidence, authorities said.

Neither of these two reasons pass muster as an exigent circumstance that excuses a "no-knock" execution of the warrant.

The police had previous custody of the evidence and had documented it very well. They could have reserved a portion of it prior to delivery. And it is unlikely that 32lbs of pot could be disposed of quickly down a garbage disposal or toilet.

As for a suspect in the residence grabbing a gun, one could use that same excuse when executing ANY search warrant.

Now, police theorize that the package was part of a scheme involving parcel delivery personnel, and the addressee had no knowledge of the illegal contents.

The time to figure this out would have been before breaking into someone's home with guns and killing their dogs.

I'm a big supporter of LEOs and the work the average law officer does to keep us safe, but it's way past time to put an end to the paramilitary style raid, plain clothes on a raid, and the use of masks on a raid.

+1. Masks are for terrorists and bank robbers. That's the message it sends, like it or not.

There were ways to do this bust, even with the phony package ploy, where it would have been righteous and without outraging the public further against LE. Like the old saying goes, nobody to blame but yourself.

jimpeel wrote in part:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...,4563211.story

The fact that this has happened before, almost blow by blow, is disturbing.

Jim is unfortunately correct. This HAS happened before and unless the laws and operating methods undergo significant changes, ASAP, it WELL happen again. Also, betting on only pets being blown away is a bad bet.

Perhaps the saddest part of this sort of thing is the real black eye it gives to "proper law enforement", and those in that line of work that do things correctly. Re this fiasco, I wonder as to whether a suit for something like $100,000,000 might prove sufficient to gain the attention of "responsible parties" if there be any, and then there is the possibility of criminal charges being brought, this last likely being something of a stretch.

This is just another abuse of police authority in Prince George's County, MD. I grew up in this county and couldn't wait to leave!! They are well known in the Washington, DC area for this type of stuff.

Actually, we know very little, as usual. And boy, oh boy have some folks made snap judgements beased upon... very little. Maybe you're right, but you have no way of knowing at this point. Note the article (The Baltimore Sun article) does NOT read like most stories derrived from police agency press releases. Why is that?

We "know" from the article:

Drugs were interdicted, delivered to the address noted on the package, and found subsequent to a search warrant executed at that residence, where the person the package addressed to lives.

Two county agencies were involved.

One municipal agency was not.

Police (which of the agencies?) claim to have been in possession of a "no-knock" warrant.

Two dogs were shot and killed.

Prince George's County Police arrested 2 men "involved in a scheme to transport marijuana." (When? Where? This scheme? Which of the 3 agencies says so?)

And that's about it. Lots of filler and fluff; unusually so. Again, I wonder why?

It will be interesting to learn of the details, if they ever come to light.

And the CNN article, while a bit more objective, maybe, doesn;t bring anything else of substance to light. Still with the fuff, though less.

It suggests there are not such things as "no-knocks" in Maryland and that the unannounced entry would therefor have been due to exigent circumstances; i.e. the MIL's screaming.

That should be easy enough to verify, the part about "no-knocks" not being legal in Maryland; a short order for the media.

On the MIL: Did she see them? When? What made her notice them? A knocking or banging sound, perhaps? Who says either way? What say the agencies involved? Who cares what the agency that wan't involved has to say? They weren't involved. And... they work for the Mayor.

don't worry. Cops all over coptalk will be glad to expain to you why this behavior is ok.

If this incident does not wake up and change the way police do things, nothing will. I am beginning to not trust ANY cop, including the ones I call friends.

the unannounced entry would therefor have been due to exigent circumstances; i.e. the MIL's screaming.
I've known quite a few LEOs over the last 30 some years and count one detective as a friend. I don't know a thing about MD but investigators for most departments around here don't dress like the actors do on Law & Order. No armed men in suits and ties outside your window. Think scruffy dude with scruffy hair and a two-day growth of beard dressed in scruffy clothes outside your window with a gun in hand. And the narcs dress worse than that. I think I'd be screaming to! :eek:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5it3aTQrD8Kz2hZ6GDZybEvffY1hgD92DQ4800

Police raid Md. mayor's home and kill his dogs
By BRETT ZONGKER – 18 hours ago

BERWYN HEIGHTS, Md. (AP) — Mayor Cheye Calvo got home from work, saw a package addressed to his wife on the front porch and brought it inside, putting it on a table. Suddenly, police with guns drawn kicked in the door and stormed in, shooting to death the couple's two dogs and seizing the unopened package.

In it were 32 pounds of marijuana. But the drugs evidently didn't belong to the couple.

Police say the couple appeared to be innocent victims of a scheme by two men to smuggle millions of dollars worth of marijuana by having it delivered to about a half-dozen unsuspecting recipients.

The two men under arrest include a FedEx deliveryman; investigators said the deliveryman would drop off a package outside a home, and the other man would come by a short time later and pick it up.

A furious Calvo said Thursday that he and his wife, Trinity Tomsic, are asking the U.S. Justice Department to investigate the July 29 raid.

"Trinity was an innocent victim and random victim," Calvo said outside his two-story, red-brick house in this middle-class Washington suburb of about 3,000 people. "We were harmed by the very people who took an oath to protect us."

Calvo insisted the couple's two black Labradors were gentle creatures and said police apparently killed them "for sport," gunning down one of them as it was running away.

"Our dogs were our children," said the 37-year-old Calvo. "They were the reason we bought this house because it had a big yard for them to run in."

The mayor, who was changing his clothes when police burst in, also complained that he was handcuffed in his boxer shorts for about two hours along with his mother-in-law, and said the officers didn't believe him when he told them he was the mayor. No charges were brought against Calvo or his wife, who came home in the middle of the raid.

Prince George's County Police Chief Melvin High said Wednesday that Calvo and his family were "most likely ... innocent victims," but he would not rule out their involvement, and he defended the way the raid was conducted. He and other officials did not apologize for killing the dogs, saying the officers felt threatened.

Police announced Wednesday they had arrested two men suspected in a plot to smuggle 417 pounds of marijuana, and seized a total of $3.6 million in pot. Investigators said the package that arrived on Calvo's porch had been sent from Los Angeles via FedEx, and they had been tracking it ever since it drew the attention of a drug-sniffing dog in Arizona.

Police intercepted it in Maryland, and an undercover detective posing as a deliveryman took it to the Calvo home.

Calvo's defenders — including the Berwyn Heights police chief, who said his department should have been alerted ahead of time — said police had no right to enter the home without knocking.

But officials insisted they acted within the law, saying the operation was compromised when Calvo's mother-in-law saw officers approaching the house and screamed. That could have given someone time to grab a gun or destroy evidence, authorities said.

Neighbors in Berwyn Heights, which Calvo described as "Mayberry inside the Capital Beltway," have rallied around the couple. On Sunday night, supporters gathered on a ballfield to pay tribute to the family and the dogs. A banner on the wooden fence around Calvo's yard read, "Cheye and Trinity, We support you, Friends and Citizens of Berwyn Heights." Around it were dozens of handwritten messages from supporters.

In addition to being the part-time mayor, Calvo works at a nonprofit foundation that runs boarding schools. His wife is a state finance officer.

"When all of this happened I was flabbergasted," said next-door neighbor Edward Alexander. "I was completely stunned because those dogs didn't hurt anybody. They barely bark."

The case is the latest embarrassment for Prince George's County officials. A former police officer was sentenced in May to 45 years in prison for shooting two furniture deliverymen at his home last year, one of them fatally. He claimed that they attacked him. In June, a suspect jailed in the death of a police officer was found strangled in his cell.

Calvo said he was astonished that police have not only failed to apologize, but declined to clear the couple's names.

His wife spoke through tears as she described an encounter with a girl who used to see the couple walking their dogs.

"She gave me a big hug and she said, `If the police shot your dogs dead and did this to you, how can I trust them?'" Tomsic said. "I don't want people to feel like that. I just want them to be proud of our police and proud to live in Prince George's County."

Associated Press writers Sarah Karush and Nafeesa Syeed in Washington contributed to this story.

---

A bit more information if you stretch the meaning of "a bit." What's it take to get a jounalism gig these days? At least they quoted a specific official... once. Citing "police" and "officials," given that situation, is a bit vague. And of course, the fluff... I mean, why cite details like when the two suspects were arrested and when the police realized the residents were likely uninvolved when you can get in hearsay lines about concerned dog walkers which serve double duty as attacks on the system? That's children for the children, after all.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=74799&catid=189

Finally, someone asked some of the right questions:

Police Arrest Suspects Linked to Berwyn Heights Raid
Posted By: Phyllis Armstrong 1 day ago

PALMER PARK, Md. (WUSA) - - The raid on the home of the mayor of Berwyn Heights has led to new evidence and two arrests.

Prince George's County Police say their investigation of the marijauna trafficking case has not completely cleared Mayor Cheye Calvo and his wife, but it's come close.

"It's most likely they were innocent victims," said Chief Melvin High.

Investigators say the two suspects now being questioned have been linked to the 32 pounds of marijuana found in a package addressed to the mayor's wife, Trinity Tomsic. The package was seized in the July 29th raid after police officers, posing as delivery men, dropped the package off at Calvo's home.

"We have two arrests. One had some involvement in the parcel delivery. It was an an independent contractor. The other person was the intended person for the parcel," said Major Mark Magaw, commander of the county's narcotics enforcement division.

Police announced they had seized 417 pounds of marijuana worth about $3.6 million dollars. Another 100 pounds was confiscated today.

Chief High says county police have seized at least $28 million dollars in drugs this year alone. He put the number of parcel extradictions at more than 100 a year.

The seizures are linked to different people allegedly involved in using the parcel delivery system in this region and nationwide to distribute drugs. Investigators are trying to sort out whether the two suspects arrested and the other individuals are all part of the same drug organization.

"The organization would use a courier or delivery person, a contracted person to deliver parcels. They would make arrangements with these people to either deliver the parcels to them or in some circumstances, leave them at an address, and then the drug trafficker would come back behind it and pick it up," said Major Magaw.

Yet, many questions remain about the execution of a search warrant on Calvo's home. Berwyn Heights Police Chief Patrick Murphy says county officers and the Sheriff's Department SWAT team did not request or receive the authority to enter without knocking or announcing themselves.

"The law simply does not allow police officers to take this kind of initiative on their own without extremely grave, urgent, exigent circumstances or the authorization of a judge," said Chief Murphy.

According to Murphy, state law does allow for exceptions when a judge grants permission because of information presented or circumstances that indicate the officers could be in endangered or evidence destroyed.

The warrant obtained by county police does not list any evidence of weapons being present or any history of violence at the 8522 Edmonston Road address. Chief High told reporters officers did nothing wrong when they broke down Calvo's door, killed the family's two Labrador retrievers, and handcuffed the mayor.

"This appeared to be a major drug trafficking activity,...and violence and the use of a firearm is quite often associated with that," said Chief High.

Sheriff Michael Jackson offered another explanation for why his SWAT officers did not knock and request entry.

"The specific circumstances was that our team was compromised. The mother-in-law saw them as they approached the house. She gave a yell to whomever else at the time was in the house," said Sheriff Jackson.

Mayor Calvo will discuss the arrest of suspects and the warrant issue at a news conference Thursday. His attorney, Timothy Maloney, issued a written statement blasting the explanation for a "no-knock" entry:

"These arrests confirm that Trinity Tomsic was a random victim of identity theft at the hands of major drug traffickers. This crime was compounded by law enforcement when it illegally invaded the Calvo home, tied up the mayor and his mother-in-law, and killed the family dogs. The suggestion that Mayor Calvo's mother-in-law's reaction to seeing a SWAT team in her front yard justified an illegal no-knock entry is outrageous," said Maloney in the statement.

The mayor's counsel also disputes authorities claims that they killed the dogs, Chase and Payton, because one of the dogs was coming at officers. Maloney says one dog was running away and the other was shot some distance from the front door.

Still, county law enforcement officials say they do not owe the Calvo's an apology. Chief High defended the officers actions, but expressed regret over the death of the dogs.

"I'm an animal lover, a pet owner myself and so, I can certainly sympathize with that," Chief High said.

"There's nothing that can replace those animals that they [Calvos] dearly loved, and I'm sure will hold close in their hearts for the rest of their lives. But I think an apology from the police chief and the county sheriff would certainly go a long way towards healing this, this community," said Chief Murphy.

Maloney told 9 NEWS NOW that no decision has been made about whether the Calvos will file a lawsuit. He says at this point the couple wants to know how this happened, and how police can prevent it from every happening again to innocent people.

Written by Phyllis Armstrong

---

Chief Murphy sure is getting a lot of press time considering his agency had nothign to do with the excecution of the warrant.

---

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...AR2008080702161.html?sid=ST2008080603533&pos=

FBI to Review Raid That Killed Mayor's Dogs

By Rosalind S. Helderman and Aaron C. Davis
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, August 8, 2008; Page B01

The FBI has launched a review of the violent law enforcement raid of the home of Berwyn Heights Mayor Cheye Calvo in Prince George's County last week that resulted in the deaths of the family's two dogs.

The FBI announcement came in response to a call yesterday by Calvo and his wife, Trinity Tomsic, for such a probe. Calvo and Tomsic suggested a systemic problem might exist in county law enforcement.

"We have witnessed a frightening law enforcement culture in which the law is disregarded, the rights of innocent occupants are ignored and the rights of innocent animals mean nothing," Calvo said, surrounded by county elected leaders and friends on the front lawn of his house. "A shadow was cast over our good names. We were harmed by the very people who took an oath to protect us."

June White Dillard, president of the NAACP's local chapter, also called for a thorough investigation and said Calvo experienced police action familiar to many young black men in the county.

County police said they would cooperate with the FBI review. "We've tried to establish a pattern of transparency and clarity about the way in which we do our work, and I'm sure the chief will be cooperative and forthcoming in any investigation," Prince George's police spokeswoman Sharon Taylor said yesterday.

Sheriff's Department spokesman Sgt. Mario Ellis said the department had not been informed of the FBI's plans. "If they deem it necessary to do that, we welcome it," Ellis said, adding that the department has also begun the standard review it conducts any time a deputy fires a weapon.

The Prince George's Sheriff's Office SWAT team and county narcotics officers raided the home after Calvo brought in a 32-pound marijuana-filled package addressed to his wife. They tied up Tomsic's mother and Calvo, and they interrogated the mayor for hours.

On Wednesday, police announced they had arrested a package deliveryman and another man in connection with a scheme to smuggle marijuana by intercepting packages addressed to unsuspecting recipients.

Police Chief Melvin C. High said that Calvo and his wife were probably innocent victims of the conspiracy but that the case remained under investigation. He and Sheriff Michael Jackson defended the actions of deputies and officers who carried out the raid.

FBI reviews precede investigations and are used to determine if law enforcement agencies followed procedures. The agents will likely look at both the forceful entry of the mayor's home by sheriff's deputies and the narcotics investigation by county police that led to the search, legal experts said.

They will examine "what information did the police have about the residence at the time they went there, what justification did they have to enter under those circumstances," said Jim Sotos, a lawyer who has written about evolving search and seizure law.

Sotos said they will also probably review other search warrants served by the sheriff's office and county police in recent years.

An attorney came forward yesterday to allege a possible pattern of animal abuse by the sheriff's department. Michael Winkleman said he is representing another family whose dog was shot by sheriff's deputies in November, along with a woman who is suing the department for searching her home without a warrant and threatening to shoot her dog.

In the first case, Winkleman said, sheriff's deputies arrived at the Accokeek home of Frank and Pamela Myers with a warrant for another house on their street. After the couple informed the deputies of their error, they continued to question the couple and looked around their home.

As they spoke, the couple's 5-year-old German boxer began barking in a yard, out of sight. Soon after, according to Winkleman, the couple heard gunshots, and they found the dog shot to death. He said the family is preparing to file suit.

In another case, Upper Marlboro resident Amber James has filed a $4 million lawsuit accusing sheriff's deputies of searching her home without a warrant in May 2007 while looking for her sister, who lived in Capitol Heights. According to the suit, deputies falsely claimed to have a warrant and searched every room of the home. When they did not find the sister, the suit alleges, they threatened to return the next day and search again, saying that if they did, James's dog would be dead.

Some lawyers and leading law enforcement groups said deputies should have known to do everything possible to avoid killing Calvo's dogs.

Courts across the country in recent years have ruled that it is almost always unacceptable for police to kill pets in the course of searching a home. Cases in three federal circuits have found that killing pets amounts to unreasonable seizure.

The U.S. Supreme Court declined to stop a lawsuit by the Hells Angels motorcycle club after police in San Jose killed three guard dogs during a 1998 raid. That case, which also involved police taking items from the group's clubhouse, resulted in $1.8 million in settlements.

"It was the fact that the dogs were shot that made the public sympathetic to the Hells Angels," said Karen Snell, who was the club's attorney during the case and has since successfully tried similar cases.

Killing dogs is considered a "last resort," said John Gnagey, executive director of the National Tactical Officers Association, a group that provides tactical training for police departments and is advocating a national accreditation system for SWAT programs.

The group recommends that SWAT teams develop multiple plans for dealing with animals during a raid. "You have a plan so that, first, maybe you hit it with a fire extinguisher, and if that doesn't work, maybe you give it a good swift kick into an adjoining room and close the door," Gnagey said.

Yesterday, Calvo also called on the sheriff's office to release photos taken the night of the raid of the two black Labrador retrievers, which he said would prove the dogs did not engage deputies as Jackson said Wednesday. He said the children of 3,000-person Berwyn Heights would testify to the dogs' gentle nature, and he said deputies had killed them "for sport."

He also asked Jackson to take back his suggestion that the SWAT team was justified in raiding the home without knocking first, ordinarily required by law, because his mother-in-law had screamed upon spotting officers. That suggestion shifted blame for the no-knock entry onto her, Calvo said.

Police had been tracking the package since Arizona, where a police dog had alerted them to the presence of drugs. It had been left on the porch by police posing as deliverymen and was later seized unopened from inside the home.

Staff researcher Meg Smith contributed to this report.

---

Question: Why do officers have to knock?
Answer: To announce their presence, which as a general rule they must do .
Question: Are they announced at the point that occupants see them and begin shouting to other occupants to that effect?
Answer: Ahh, the crux of the matter.
Question: What does the SWAT team in question look like when it deploys?
Answer: That answer will matter more than many realize or will be reported.

Big Questions that will likely remain unasked: How much profit does PG County police stand to make via asset forfeiture, for busting a drug dealer operating in a very upscale neighborhood, as opposed to an inner city slum? Could such a payday encourage omitting pre-raid investigation? How much profit has been accrued with the aforementioned "100 parcel extraditions per year", and what percent of the police budget is dependent on asset seizure/forfeiture?

Old reporter adage: follow the money.

Of course, everyone is assuming the LEOs didn't conduct pre-raid intelligence with due dilegence, that they didn't realize they were visiting the mayor's home, etc.

Why? Because the mayor's people are suggesting it? Because that's the common assumption? Maybe. Or maybe the fact that the mayor's municipal agency was left out of the loop perhaps suggests a very diligent job was conducted, that they knew whose residence it was and who the recipient was. And that folks... is more plausible than much which has been written to date by the press.

Remember, despite the smoke and mirrors, the county agencies were at the right house, looking for the right thing, addressed to the right person for the residence. That it was likely a ruse was not known otthem at the time, or at least nothing to that effect has been reported to date.

But its more fun to shout them down, I know.

Reading stories like this just disgust me. I don't know how much lower my respect for law enforcement can go. All this over a package of marijuana to justify a no knock warrant and killing two friendly dogs.
Every day you read of somebody in law enforcement or other government agency abusing their duties, pedophiles, child porn on their computers, dealing in drugs themselves, public school teachers, both male and female, having sex with children in their classrooms, on and on. These are the government certified trustable people, supposedly people of integrity. To protect and serve. Makes me want to puke.

Last edited:
44AMP writes in part:

Anyone old enough to remember Ken Ballew? That was in Md also. OF course, that raid turned out a bit differently. They shot him. And he faced trial with a bullet in his brain, and confined to a wheelchair for the rest of his life. And that was nearly 40 years ago!

I'm more than old enough to remember that example of "administrative deficiency" that's how the criminal fiasco of the Ballew shooting was described by the then Secretary Of Treasury.

When I asked, via a signed letter for the English Translation of "administrative deficiencies" I got nothing in the way of a reply to what I thought was an entirely reasonable question. I suppose that the question was to reasonable. In any event, given The Internet of today, I suspect that the Calvo Fiasco will not be so easily swept under the rug. Just think on what might have happened re Ballew, if The Internet had been up and running then, as it is now.

I also remember the case where a couple of reporters for Chigago Tribune went to another state, and using false identification, purchased firearms in clear violation of GCA'68, then mailed the guns to the offices of Chicago Tribune, also a violation of federal law. A federal grand jury in Des Moines, Iowa handed down as multiple count indictment, which the DOJ (laughter heard in the background) declined to prosecute, funny isn't it? That was a long time ago too. When I wrote to the U.S. attorney involved with this bit of business asking what the wattage of the red light that must surely adorn his office door was, he replied "50 watts, but it's a small office". I kept his letter for years, though these days, I no longer have it.

Last edited:
Anybody have any info on how the swat team was dressed?

Were they wearing their customary black "ninja" outfits? Were they wearing jackets that said "Police" or "SWAT" on the back (where it cannot be easily seen?) or were they wearing "undercover" clothing, looking like street punks or homeless men?

To me that would make a huge difference in whether it was reasonable for the mother in law to scream a warning to members of the houshold.

Several unidentified armed men rushing my house, with no uniformed cops in sight, no patrol cars with lights going, is it reasonable and prudent for the ordinary citizen to just assume that they must be the police, conducting their lawful duties?

I wouldn't think so. I would be more inclined to think I was seeing the beginning of a violent home invasion robbery, or worse!

Remember, despite the smoke and mirrors, the county agencies were at the right house, looking for the right thing, addressed to the right person for the residence. That it was likely a ruse was not known otthem at the time, or at least nothing to that effect has been reported to date.

Of course they had the right address; they personally delivered the package, not the FedEx guy.

So why didn't they arrest him then?

This "ruse" has been around since at least the 80s. If they we're aware then they are obviously in the wrong line of work. It's their job to know before kicking in doors and shooting family pets. And as usual the department circles the wagons and the Chief defends them. Next up medals all around just to thumb their noses at the mayor and his family.

Back