McCain Advisor Resigns: "I will not work against Obama"

FireMax

Now... this story is bizarre. A top McCain advisor, Mark McKinnon, has resigned from the McCain campaign because he vowed some months ago to not work against Barack Obama. In Mr. McKinnon's own words, "Mr. Obama’s election to the presidency would send a great message to the country and the world.”

I guess the obvious question is, why did John McCain have a person on his campaign staff who has such affinity for a liberal like Obama? How many other of his campaign advisors hold liberals in high regard? Does Mr. McCain have any conservative advisors, or are they all like Mr. McKinnon?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/21/us/politics/21consult.html?_r=2&ref=us&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Keeping Vow on Obama, McCain Adviser Resigns
By JIM RUTENBERG
Published: May 21, 2008

WASHINGTON — Senator John McCain’s chief advertising strategist, Mark McKinnon, announced Tuesday that he was resigning, following through on a vow he had made months ago not to work against the candidacy of Senator Barack Obama.

His resignation follows the departures of five other aides in recent days because work they have done outside the campaign — as lobbyists for corporations and foreign nations, and, in one case, as a strategist for an independent political group — had presented conflict of interest issues.

In telling the Cox News Service last June that he would not work against an Obama candidacy, Mr. McKinnon had said that Mr. Obama’s election to the presidency “would send a great message to the country and the world.” In that interview, Mr. McKinnon had said that he had policy differences with Mr. Obama, especially on Iraq, and that he believed Mr. McCain was best suited for the presidency because of his national security positions. But, he added, “I just don’t want to work against an Obama candidacy.”

Mr. McKinnon’s decision highlights challenges Mr. McCain may face in running against a man who will be the first black presidential candidate from a major American political party if he cinches the Democratic nomination.

Mr. McKinnon had told friends, and some journalists, that he did not want to be part of a hard-fought campaign against such a historic candidacy. In his interview with Cox, he had said of Mr. Obama: “I think he has a deep character and good judgment. I also think he’s wrong on some fundamental issues. But I believe he is honest and independent.”

Mr. McKinnon had made those comments as Mr. McCain’s campaign was entering a rough patch that by midsummer left his prospects in doubt. With a general election battle between Mr. Obama and Mr. McCain increasingly likely, speculation over whether Mr. McKinnon would follow through on his pledge had been recently circulating in both parties.

Mr. McKinnon did not respond to a request late Monday to discuss his plans but on Tuesday told The Washington Post Web site that he would be stepping down. “I’ll be transitioning, shifting position from linebacker to head cheerleader," he was quoted as saying, adding that he would remain a “friend and fan” of the campaign.

The situation divided the loyalties of a man known to take them seriously. But one adviser to Mr. McCain, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the choice for Mr. McKinnon was not between Mr. Obama and Mr. McCain, who remains his choice for president, but between staying true to his word and not.

“This is not about neutrality,” the adviser said. “I think this really pains him, but he made a commitment to do something.”

Mr. McKinnon, who lives in Austin, Tex., has been something of an anomaly in Republican politics. He has spent most of his career working for Democrats, including Ann Richards, a former Texas governor, and Buddy Roemer, a former governor of Louisiana and congressman.

He doesn't want to be part of an ugly campaign against the first black candidate in U.S. history, I can understand that.

He doesn't want to be part of an ugly campaign against the first black candidate in U.S. history, I can understand that.

Why is that it's not about race but ability, but the left always look
for message not content. What a sad world our public schools have
built.:barf:

Rats fleeing a sinking ship?

It's not unheard of for consultants to play both sides of the aisle...David Gergen, Ed Rollins come to mind. Still, the timing in this case is unusual.

Comparing the media image presented by McCain compared to Obama...not even in the same league. Could someone at least tell McCain to get some eyedrops? His incessant blinking on camera is already driving me crazy! :eek:

Does Mr. McCain have any conservative advisors, or are they all like Mr. McKinnon?

I too, would like to know the answer to this question.

He has seen the writing on the wall and does not want to be associated with a losing campaign.

There is mathematically no way for McCain to carry the south, and without the south, he can't win.

As a rule, campaigns are ugly. Why should Obama get a free pass because of the color of his skin? To suggest so is racist!

There is mathematically no way for McCain to carry the south, and without the south, he can't win.

Utter rubbish. If even a few more northern states than those that went for Bush go for McCain, Obama would have to sweep the South to win.

BlockObama_1.png

Dont let the door hit you in the ASS on your way out dude.:p

I love when I read that a conservative republican is going to throw away all their core beliefs and vote OBAMA, or that conservatives will stay home so that the most liberal candidate to ever run for the Presidency can be elected.

I usually read this nonsense on internet boards. I personally know 300 or so conservatives at my gun club, 290 of them are disgusted with Bush, 299 of them are going to vote for McCain even if they dont like him just to make sure Obama does not get elected. Number 300 is me I'm a registered Democrat, and an NRA member, and I dont agree with either party, I will be voting for McCain as well, to make sure Obama doesn't get elected.

I will be voting for McCain as well, to make sure Obama doesn't get elected.

Sad to say after watching the media go nuts over Obama I have no other choice then to vote for McCain. Odds are that if you go opposite the media your on the "right" side.:D

I do not think that McCain losing Mark McKinnon is a big deal. Yes, he doesn't want to be a part of a campaign against Hussein Obama but I do not think it has much to do with race or political orientation. Obama has a LOT of skeletons in his closet and I think the McCain campaign is going to yank those skeletons out of his closet and bring them back to haunt him. I can assure you all of this: this is going to be the wildest election any of us have ever seen and it is going to get mad UGLY! Me, I am voting straight republican this year which is something I NEVER do. The reason? Can you imagine what this country will be like IF Hussein wins and the dems win the majority of congress this year and in 2 years? I fear that IF that happens, we better get ready for complete chaos over the next 4-6 years.
:eek:

Of course, all of this is just MHO.

I'm a registered Democrat, and an NRA member, and I dont agree with either party, I will be voting for McCain...

Not surprising that you would be drawn to McCain as he is quite liberal. Unfortunately, those of us who are traditional conservatives don't have anyone to vote for in the Republican party this year. The only conservative candidate on the ballot in November will be Bob Barr.

more to the story than meets they eye.

That is my opinion. Some place this guy is betting on a future in politics as a campaign advisor. His deserting the McCain campaign is going to stay with him forever. How the next series of campaigns view his leaving McCain is a very serious aspect of how his future as a campaign strategist will be accepted.

Is it fair to say most people would rather have a person who fought long and hard for a campaign that lost than an individual who quit when the going got tough.

Who are the people within the party LEADERSHIP who actually support McWeasel? We need their names so we can start with the process to remove them. Sidney did not make himself. He had some help, and those who helped him need to be thrown into the dumpster.

Why is that it's not about race but ability, but the left always look
for message not content. What a sad world our public schools have
built.

I'm not suggesting that Obama deserves a free ride, but his candidacy is a historic achievement for all of us. I don't find it so monumental that I'll vote for him, but I am proud of our country when I consider that when I was very young a guy like Obama might not be able to sit at a lunch counter, and now he's got a good shot at the White House.

Maybe this McKinnon guy wants to sit this one out for that reason, who knows. But I don't think that this resignation is any refection on McCain.

I think the reasons all the other aids had to leave are a lot more important and shocking. It seems his whole staff is composed of lobbyists...many of whom work for foreign dictators.

Oh sure, here comes the Decree that someone isn't "conservative":

those of us who are traditional conservatives don't have anyone to vote for in the Republican party this year. The only conservative candidate on the ballot in November will be Bob Barr.

The majority of conservative republicans disagree, and they voted for McCain in the primary. Which is why he is the republican nominee. He's a fine conservative. At least he's enough of a conservative to earn the nomination.

Lobbyists? I like that one, too. Ol' Obama has plenty of lobbyists on his staff. There's nothing wrong with a lobbyist. There is a lot wrong with earmarks, though. And Obama does love his earmarks, doesn't he?!? A couple of million here, a couple of million there, pork for everybody!

Barak Obama, pork you can believe in. :p

Fremmer
The majority of conservative republicans disagree, and they voted for McCain in the primary.
Actually, that is so very far from the truth. McCain received the nomination because moderates and democrats voted for him in increasing numbers compared to Bush. Conservatives, honest died in the wool conservatives do not like McCain. How could they? He's a lib.

We've come so far since the "single drop of blood" and "3/5's of a vote" rules and . . . *sigh*

Oh, and the US Census race definitions page has entries for "white", "black", "some other race", and "two or more races"

Come to your own conclusion as to race. The definition at the top has it though:
The concept of race as used by the Census Bureau reflects self-identification by people according to the race or races with which they most closely identify. These categories are sociopolitical constructs and should not be interpreted as being scientific or anthropological in nature.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure what definition of race/black we should be using. . .

Not surprising that you would be drawn to McCain as he is quite liberal. Unfortunately, those of us who are traditional conservatives don't have anyone to vote for in the Republican party this year. The only conservative candidate on the ballot in November will be Bob Barr.

Firemax you dont know me, or anything about my political views, other than the fact that I like firearms and the second amendment. I am far from being a liberal, very far.

Last edited:
Back