Mauser 98 EJECTION issue

So I DID a dremel job on the action. First I nearly got a heart attack from having to remove so much material and by the roughness of the dremeled' surface, but fortunately I got it all mirror smooth with a lot of sandpaper and patience. Now the case is no longer squished against the receiver ''ceiling'' by the rounds in the magazine during ejection.

The bad news is, it didn't help at all. Well, the cases no longer get stuck like in the video, now they just fall back into the action. The weird thing is, now if I cycle live cartridges instead of cases it ejects them nicely. The extra weight at the front (projectile) somehow helps them eject out of the receiver.

I'm about to give up. :(

The dreaded dremel tool again. :(

It's an ejection issue, not a feeding issue. It may require removing up to .400" from the rear of the receiver bridge (where the cartridge case is striking it) for greater clearance for a full length cartridge. Brownells used to sell a longer extractor but no longer. That can be made with a piece of steel and a file.

Since the xtractor is a non cpmplicated piece, and you have tried everything except casting the bones under a full moon, couldnt you make one longer so it will engage the case sooner after clearing the chamber?

Use the one you have for a pattern except longer, break all edges, and trim as necessary

So I carefully inspected everything again, and I found the issue the rifle is having now. Right now, the cases no longer get stuck between magazine rounds and the ceiling of the receiver during ejection because I removed enough material.

What it does is when the cartridges in the box magazine are pushed forward as much as the length of the magazine box allows, it creates a gap between the rear magazine box wall and the cartridges. This happens when you shoot from the recoil anyway, inertia will move the rounds in the magazine forward.
Now, if the upmost cartridge is on the left side, the brass case is ejected it will get caught a little in the gap between the rounds in the magazine, lose enough energy to hit a dead stop and roll back into the system.
This does NOT happen with a round on the right side of the magazine because the rear of the brass case has enough space. And it wont happen if the topmost cartridge is pushed all the way back so it contacts the rear magazine wall.

I have no idea how to fix THAT. :confused:

Here is the gap I am talking about. The bolt is at the exact spot where the ejector starts to engage, and the round are pushed forward as much as the magazine box allows. However, a smaller gap will result in a jam.

mILnNyc.jpg

Here in comparison my K98k, it looks exactly the same, but it will not jam.

4NIIE2E.jpg

So the case head just fall out of the bolt face a little and into that gap? The case head needs to stay within the bolt face all the time. It sounds still like a extractor fit issue. The extractor claw should be shaped to retain the case head on the bolt face.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

So the case head just fall out of the bolt face a little and into that gap? The case head needs to stay within the bolt face all the time. It sounds still like a extractor fit issue. The extractor claw should be shaped to retain the case head on the bolt face.

-TL

The case does stay on the bolt until it hits the rearward position, its just that the case is ejected at a slight upwards angle that allows the case head to dip slightly into the gap that decelerates it. The extractor holds the case very firmly.

This problem persists even when I swap the bolt with that of my K98k that does NOT have the problem.

I do not know what forces the rear of the case downwards during ejection. As mentioned before, I replaced every single part but the receiver, trigger and the barrel and the problem persisted.

This is what happens. I simulated the problem using a felt wad for the proper angle. The angle looks much steeper than it is on the photo, in reality its like 10-15 degrees.

z58A0KP.jpg

Last edited:
By chance...do you have the follower in backwards ?, the reason that I ask is because the
cartridge the left of your troubled action appears to be to high.

By chance...do you have the follower in backwards ?, the reason that I ask is because the
cartridge the left of your troubled action appears to be to high.
You know what, I think you are right! I set my two Mausers side by side, the rounds in my my German k98k definitely protrude less into the action than on my Spanish 7x57 mauser.
It might be enough to cause that issue I am having. I'd say its about 0.08''

It would also explain why switching all the other parts back and forth did nothing, the feed lips may bee too thin or something.

3mgaoM6.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good catch. It appears to me that as the ejector forces the case off the surface of the bolt face, the higher cartridge in the magazine is pushing up against it, causing it to pivot at the point of contact with the receiver.

If the follower isn't reversed, there is another suggestion here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2020-11-11_17-05-31.jpg
    2020-11-11_17-05-31.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 227
See post #37. The top round in the mag should have little or no interference to the empty. Check rounds on both sides to see whether one is high and one is low. There are ways to correct that.

-TL

The round on the right side of the magazine sits just about as high as in my K98k, it just reaches a tad below the extractor claw, the round on the left side of the magazine (the side where the ejector is) sits definitely MUCH higher than in my K98k. I also only have issues with ejection when the left side round in the magazine is up.

I can think of only two ways to fix this: welding on material to the rear end of the left side feed lip or dumping the box magazine altogether and get an aftermarket detachable magazine that comes with its own pair of lips.

Great picture. Did you try swapping the followers ?
More than that, I swapped the entire box magazine with spring and follower! I also swapped the bolt and the ejector assembly!

None of that had any impact on the ejection issue, hence my strong suspicion that its the receiver geometry messing up somehow.

Wild shot coming now...remove floor plate, spring and follower.
Clean all the oils from the bottom of the left-hand rail and apply several layers
of black tape or any tape, this will push the cartridge down to give clearance from the bolt. If that works, you're heading in the right direction.

Wild shot coming now...remove floor plate, spring and follower.
Clean all the oils from the bottom of the left-hand rail and apply several layers
of black tape or any tape, this will push the cartridge down to give clearance from the bolt. If that works, you're heading in the right direction.

A very good idea, but I couldn't get it to work. I have not found any tape that would hold onto the bare metal well enough to allow carefully cycling the action, despite degreasing it properly. It would just slip off, the surfaces of the action are all polished to a mirror finish. :o

Okay, you spiked my curiosity, I loaded my Mauser... 30.06 and operated the bolt slowly and it replicated your problem, operated sharply with no flaws. Yes, loaded ammo, 220 gr
RN.

Did you use live rounds or did you try it with an empty case? My Mauser will eject live rounds very nicely, the bullet must give the case enough leverage to overcome the problem nicely, but the empty cases don't have that oomph.

I know Mausers need to be operated briskly, but how I operate the action does not matter, the ejection issue will occur no mater what. I cannot replicate the problem with my German K98k unless I screw up and cycle the action really badly.

I made a video which you can find at the first page I think, here it is again. As you can see I operate the bolt with proper force and speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NyOg-1gtrE

Back