Manurhin MR73

I totally agree.

What’s even funnier is that this revolver has been around for decades. People never even knew about it since it was a largely custom built and fairly low production revolver made in Europe. Now that a big name is importing them, people who have no clue are suddenly coming out of the woodwork to pass judgement.

If anyone would rather have three S&W 686’s over an MR73, more power to you. Unless you’re shooting competition and need multiple copies, I don’t get the concept. Three is no better than one, in my opinion. Quality is the same, which is very, very pedestrian.

I’ll take quality over quantity any day. To each their own. I happen to like the best stuff.

Why can’t we be all friends ?

5076ff48c3301ebd769af9757766a623.jpg

211b26d4112f8d8ae42d2c91e2c10366.jpg

I can tell you what my eye thinks is the uglier of the three. Since we are talking about it :)

I dislike the Python for it's documented weak action and ridiculous current pricing. However, it's the best looking of the that group. The bigger ribbing taking the height of the first sight post on the other two makes the Python stand out as being beefier, but in a sharp way.

(looking, it's that the under lug lines don't extend to the crane line break lines. Makes the barrel look odd/small on the MR73)

Last edited:
It’s not a “collector item”. It’s perhaps the strongest and most durable DA 357 revolver in the world and one of the most accurate, best fit, nicest finished, etc, etc.

Sure the early models have collector appeal. The current production models are built to be the best DA revolvers around.

Enjoy your L frame S&W

Pretty 27. I have almost the same gun but not nearly as handsome, it's an early 28. I have to say it's my hands down favorite revolver.

Dumb question, is there not US made equivalent or better to that French revolver?

Tony

That’s a beautiful 27, make it a 4” for around $1500.00 and I’d be all over it. Oh, and if someone handed me a MR73 I’d love to shoot it and see what it’s all about.

That’s a beautiful 27, make it a 4” for around $1500.00 and I’d be all over it. Oh, and if someone handed me a MR73 I’d love to shoot it and see what it’s all about.

Go 3.5". They're the coolest looking and generally the most sought after. :cool:

Like this Pre-27 from 1950

...or even cooler yet, this Registered Magnum from 1938. :)

Pretty 27. I have almost the same gun but not nearly as handsome, it's an early 28. I have to say it's my hands down favorite revolver.

Dumb question, is there not US made equivalent or better to that French revolver?

Tony

Maybe Freedom Arms, but they're SA and just so different in every way.

I had a French Manurhin PPK .22 that was really nice. But that is an auto.

I had was a Dan Wesson Masterpiece .22. On target and beautiful.

I have had a long and very good education and am enjoying the fruits thereof in the form of the best guns for the job. Very few people can shoot above 95% and for them it is about prestige. For me it is about quality and performance.

Once again; Suum cuique.

Absolutely stunning handgun. The shape, form, and finish is as close to a vintage Python bar none. However, they need to change the firing pin from the hammer to the more modern look within the body chassis. To me, the firing pin riveted to the hammer is an eyesore especially when the the hammer is cocked.

Aside from the hype of GIGN vouching for this handgun for promotions effect, the irony is that if GIGN ever encounter a terrorist group trying to deter the situation, the MR73 would be the least effective sidearm for the job. As far as hyping it as the most durable revolver in existence, how in the world that can be proven. Who in the world would possibly shoot a million rounds through it. It is all a mind game folks. It is like a vintage Leica film camera with all the mystique and old world German over-engineering built into a camera that is really obsolete compared to a digital camera. However, having said all that, I surely would like to own one because they managed to get inside my head because I'm addicted to owning one of a kind classic handgun and the MR73 surely has the prestige and history behind it to produce such a sidearm even though it is outdated in real world usage....especially touting it as a law enforcement combat sidearm which surely it is not.

I never thought of the firing pin as an esthetic element.
But now you have brought it up, I think the flat faced hammer whacking a frame (Body chassis, really?) mounted firing pin looks kind of naked.

It's a beautiful revolver but.......
I always loved winning the bullseye matches with my old Ruger Mark I over those competitors that were shooting their fancy dancy Hammerli 208's and Walther GPS's!:D

And out of curiousity, what was the French SWAT using 6 shot revolvers?:confused:
What I read was that for the shield man on a French SWAT Team they were looking for one handed go bang 100% of the time. So, they landed on a revolver built like a cross between a watch and a tank.

Full disclosure: I have never been the shield man on a French SWAT team.

Back