Manurhin MR73

Hold on.

If an internet spread mythical and false idea that the GIGN uses the MR73 is driving value/price, I'd be happy if someone corrected that for me. Watch out, the HK MP5 will shoot up in value once everyone learns that's the GIGN's go to.

Now that we know the GIGN doesn't actually really field the MR73, was part of that $3K value removed? The GIGN also has but also doesn't field the 686 all that much use either, does that change value?

I'm not sure many of us couldn't get those results from a 686? 686 plus the $150 trigger job that S&W offers? You're still under $1K.

I get the interest, but reality check it too. That's a pretty item that doesn't bring much against the competition.

That's what I was talking about in several of my postings. I cannot see where Manurhin revolvers get such high value from.

It hardly matters how much they sell for or the value of an item if you are not interested in owning it.

Here is one that closed at auction last evening. The hammer fell at $2,900.00. The winner will also have to pay the buyer's premium and I am sure sales tax since it was an onsite winning bid. I think the revolver was refinished but can't swear to it since I think it should of been blued. This one is older since it was produced prior to Champuis Armes production 21 years ago.

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...MANURHIN-FRENCH-MR-73/lotInformation/61047027

Last edited:
I just laugh my ass off in these threads. The MR73 has been around almost 50 years and has been one of the finest revolvers in the world since it was introduced. Now that they’re being actively imported, everyone who doesn’t know a thing about them has an opinion. Hugh end handguns are not for everyone. Know your limitations and move on.

Stick to your Rugers and L Frame Smiths.

For me, it is not a matter of price, but of value. So my concern is still what is giving this revolvers its high value, other than their supposed resistance to a high quantity of high power cartridges shooting.

It hardly matters how much they sell for or the value of an item if you are not interested in owning it.

Here is one that closed at auction last evening. The hammer fell at $2,900.00. The winner will also have to pay the buyer's premium and I am sure sales tax since it was an onsite winning bid. I think the revolver was refinished but can't swear to it since I think it should of been blued. This one is older since it was produced prior to Champuis Armes production 21 years ago.

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...MANURHIN-FRENCH-MR-73/lotInformation/61047027

That is a crazy price. I imagine the buyer did not know that it is not an original finish, but most likely the refinish of a very worn police revolver like this

f474299f9dcfe4f991236e764da1eb94.jpg

That's what I was talking about in several of my postings. I cannot see where Manurhin revolvers get such high value from.

For me, it is not a matter of price, but of value. So my concern is still what is giving this revolvers its high value, other than their supposed resistance to a high quantity of high power cartridges shooting.

I think part of the value is the resale value down the years.

Pythons have become pricey, but clean old example will likely keep appreciating. Same for Swiss made Sig P210.

Like I said I bought mine new for $ 2000.- 12 years ago, now they cost $ 3000.-

But HKP7s are collectibles, they aren't being manufactured anymore...

Your point is? I don’t follow.

Are you familiar with SA revolvers? Compare a $3000 Freedom Arms with an $800 Ruger Blackhawk and explain your findings.

Same difference

Totally agree. The Ruger is worth more.

If the Ruger goes up 100 dollars in value at 800 dollars start but the Freedom goes up 300 but cost $3K at the start...The Freedom had a high entry cost, higher total dollar risk, smaller market for resell, and less percent return--all the while you could have scored 3 Rugers to do the above at the Freedom's cost. At no point was the Freedom a better resale value.

It's cool. No one is saying this MR73 isn't cool. $3K cool? No one has made a good case for it. Not really...at all.

Totally agree. The Ruger is worth more.

If the Ruger goes up 100 dollars in value at 800 dollars start but the Freedom goes up 300 but cost $3K at the start...The Freedom had a high entry cost, higher total dollar risk, smaller market for resell, and less percent return--all the while you could have scored 3 Rugers to do the above at the Freedom's cost. At no point was the Freedom a better resale value.

It's cool. No one is saying this MR73 isn't cool. $3K cool? No one has made a good case for it. Not really...at all.

Hmm…let’s try this instead…do you know anything about the MR73?

Why would anyone need to make a case for it to convince someone who is happy with dime a dozen revolvers? The MR does not need justification. It’s been selling for big bucks for many years and will just continue to go up. One of mine is a first year model unfired in box. It’s easily worth double what these new models are priced at.

…and if you think the Blackhawk is equal to a Freedom Arms in any way, my advice is to stick to Rugers.

If you’re happy with that stuff, more power to you. Sometimes I wish I was. I’d have been long since retired ;)

I mean, I'm the guy that easily proved lots of gun magazine articles spouted circular nonses that the GIGN currently fields this magical revolver...They don't.

I did bring up hand de burring is typically cited as a 12 hour process and I responded that this is an interesting thing that happens to it...but so what?

I mentioned that no ammunition exists that gets close to the rumor only 50% above CIP rating this gun is only rumored to support. I mentioned since a ruptured case is going to end any revolver, that rumor was kinda bogus to begin with. Anyone want to test this rumor with a ruptured case at 50% great than CIP? Okay...enjoy your new speak to text feature.

The mention of the strength of the barrel is interesting, but I mentioned Underwood isn't shooting out 568s/686s.

4,000 a made a year. Okay. Yep, it's a self made exclusive item...ok. Doesn't answer a thing towards the value of it.

I think I've seen better targets from the gent that posted his targets with one.

Price does matter since a stock 686/586 can get double action trigger jobs. Single action trigger can't be anything better than the S&W, cause there is nothing wrong with it. Weight is adjustable.

I think it's totally fair to bring up price. If the Python at $2K gets sold but also abused for price, a $3k gun can get the same treatment with more than "you just don't get it" statements. Everything about this revolver is a rumor. Most of them are "Okay, so..." rumors.

I mean, if you buying it as a collector, great. But if you aren't shooting it past what anyone things a 686 can last, the point of high metallurgical superiority to outlast a competitor is a bit silly.

Last edited:
I mean, I'm the guy that easily proved lots of gun magazine articles spouted circular nonses that the GIGN currently fields this magical revolver...They don't.

I did bring up hand de burring is typically cited as a 12 hour process and I responded that this is an interesting thing that happens to it...but so what?

I mentioned that no ammunition exists that gets close to the rumor only 50% above CIP rating this gun is only rumored to support. I mentioned since a ruptured case is going to end any revolver, that rumor was kinda bogus to begin with. Anyone want to test this rumor with a ruptured case at 50% great than CIP? Okay...enjoy your new speak to text feature.

The mention of the strength of the barrel is interesting, but I mentioned Underwood isn't shooting out 568s/686s.

4,000 a made a year. Okay. Yep, it's a self made exclusive item...ok. Doesn't answer a thing towards the value of it.

I think I've seen better targets from the gent that posted his targets with one.

Price does matter since a stock 686/586 can get double action trigger jobs. Single action trigger can't be anything better than the S&W, cause there is nothing wrong with it. Weight is adjustable.

I think it's totally fair to bring up price. If the Python at $2K gets sold but also abused for price, a $3k gun can get the same treatment with more than "you just don't get it" statements. Everything about this revolver is a rumor. Most of them are "Okay, so..." rumors.

I mean, if you buying it as a collector, great. But if you aren't shooting it past what anyone things a 686 can last, the point of high metallurgical superiority to outlast a competitor is a bit silly.
I'm with you in all what you say. Totally.

I have an MR73 that was an actual police service weapon, not a fresh shiny piece of Ballistic Sculpture.

Back in the Paper Age, I read about the MR73 in the print gunzine 'Combat Handguns' and saw a print Gun List advertisement for Vienna SWAT surplus revolvers. Price about the same as a new S&W. But, hey, Old World Craftsmanship, right?
So I got Howard at the local dealer to order one up and it appeared in a reasonable time. About $6 UPS, too, they hadn't discovered the profit center/employee theft reduction benefits of mandatory airmail.

It is holster worn like any ex-cop gun, if not as bad as the one in post 27. What doesn't show is the considerable end shake. The Vienna PD must have practiced a lot. Fortunately, Ron Power K-Smith end shake shims fit.

The rubber Trausch grips are ok for my medium-small hand but if you have large hands you might want to do some sanding. Or get Nills for a nice new gun.

The DA trigger pull is smooth, but not particularly light, even twiddling the dual strain screws did not make a lot of difference, if reliable ignition was to be maintained.
The trigger is sharply serrated and square cornered, and the through hole for the trigger stop screw roughens it more. Not what We Colonials want for an easy DA pull.

One advantage is smooth chambers. It ejects better than my Colts and Smiths.
Another is the "barn-door" rear sight. Apparently the Vienna SWAT wanted adjustable sights and they are good ones. But their holsters didn't have sight tracks, the front ramp blade is quite worn.

So, what does the shooter get? Nothing out of the ordinary that I can tell.
Great durability is claimed - not the red herring of the catastrophic overload, but many many standard Magnums. OK, somebody take 150,000 rounds and call back in the morning.

I have an MR73 that was an actual police service weapon, not a fresh shiny piece of Ballistic Sculpture.

Back in the Paper Age, I read about the MR73 in the print gunzine 'Combat Handguns' and saw a print Gun List advertisement for Vienna SWAT surplus revolvers. Price about the same as a new S&W. But, hey, Old World Craftsmanship, right?
So I got Howard at the local dealer to order one up and it appeared in a reasonable time. About $6 UPS, too, they hadn't discovered the profit center/employee theft reduction benefits of mandatory airmail.

It is holster worn like any ex-cop gun, if not as bad as the one in post 27. What doesn't show is the considerable end shake. The Vienna PD must have practiced a lot. Fortunately, Ron Power K-Smith end shake shims fit.

The rubber Trausch grips are ok for my medium-small hand but if you have large hands you might want to do some sanding. Or get Nills for a nice new gun.

The DA trigger pull is smooth, but not particularly light, even twiddling the dual strain screws did not make a lot of difference, if reliable ignition was to be maintained.
The trigger is sharply serrated and square cornered, and the through hole for the trigger stop screw roughens it more. Not what We Colonials want for an easy DA pull.

One advantage is smooth chambers. It ejects better than my Colts and Smiths.
Another is the "barn-door" rear sight. Apparently the Vienna SWAT wanted adjustable sights and they are good ones. But their holsters didn't have sight tracks, the front ramp blade is quite worn.

So, what does the shooter get? Nothing out of the ordinary that I can tell.
Great durability is claimed - not the red herring of the catastrophic overload, but many many standard Magnums. OK, somebody take 150,000 rounds and call back in the morning.
That's a good answer and the kind of one I was asking for.

I still cannot see where the value of these revolvers come from, other some touches of hand craftsmanship and a very good propaganda.

Have you ever noticed the resentment of some people towards anything that is both expensive and praised?

This pistol is one of those items that if you have to consider the cost, then you can't afford it. I would absolutely rather have one Manurin than three S&W's. I simply admire quality. I have owned S&W pistols in the past and was as content with them as I was with any other firearms, I owned.

Will it do anything that an American revolver will not do? Nope. It has no features that my S&W's don't have.

I own a couple of deluxe rifles, a Cooper MDL 22 varmint rifle, and a Weatherby MKV deluxe, a late 60's model, made by Saur and Sons, left to me by one of my uncles. These rifles are beautiful examples of the art of rifle making. I really mean art.

I don't really understand peoples resentment of items they can't or won't afford. Anytime a thread like these is posted, it brings out the whiners and snivelers. They try to diminish the object anyway they can.

Why would anyone feel diminished by not owning, a certain pistol or rifle? It's not a competition.

Back