manual safety is unnecessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ocraknife said:
I'd be kinda nervous about going cocked and unlocked with a 1911....

James K said:
To discuss whether a manual safety is needed on a striker fired pistol with a long pull or a DAO or DA/SA pistol in DA mode is a debate.

To claim that one should carry an SA pistol cocked with no safety is insanity.

what about a 1911 since they have a grip safety?

I'll share an anecdotal story about a Glock and an AD.

About 3 years ago I worked for the Fed Gov't as a defense contractor and had an office in the basement of an ancient GSA building that housed several different Federal tenants one of which was the Federal Marshals office.

On day a Fed Mashall with decades of experience carrying a weapon decided he needed to drop a deuce and in so doing he somehow shot himself in the wrist. I have no idea how it happened but I saw him being wheeled out on a gurney.

The funny thing was, I was in the office next door and didn't hear a thing however it was in the basement of a 1950s Gov't building which I guess could account for that.

Anyway, the takeaway I got from this is never be cocked while you are dumping a load.

Actually, it was just the opposite, I was trying to get as high on the grip as I could.

I see...

I always jokingly refer to myself as a dinosaur, but I guess it really is true. My carry is a 1910 Browning .380, which is the only striker fired pistol I consider safe to carry with round in the chamber (other than the "Triple Securite" FN 1905 and the Colt 1908 .25s). The manual safety blocks the grip safety which, in turn, physically blocks the sear. So, barring a catastrophic metal failure of the striker, the pistol has always been very safe to carry loaded.

I guess, since I have been carrying that particular pistol for so many years, it has become a part of me like my watch, for example.

Ocraknife said:
I still wouldn't be comfortable going cocked and unlocked. How often do you carry this way?
I don’t carry that way at all. I also am not advocating it. I’m just asking why it would be insanity when there are thousands of safetyless pistols carried cocked without manual safeties every day and the prevailing mindset is the safety is between your ears. It seems to me a cocked and unlocked pistol with a grip safety would be safer than a safetyless striker fired pistol in the context of accidentally pulling the trigger when you don’t really want to.

my question still stands...

If the unlocked 1911 is in a holster, its no different than anything else without a manual safety. I used to find my Commanders thumb safety off at the end of the day quite often, as it had been knocked off during the day. Never was a problem.

The difference comes when you go holsterless. Id much rather carry a Glock sans holster, than an unlocked 1911.

A cocked and unlocked 1911 is a danger since the grip safety only blocks the trigger stirrup; The sear can still get jarred off. If that were to happen, hopefully the half cock notch would do its intended duty and catch the falling hammer.

If the unlocked 1911 is in a holster, its no different than anything else without a manual safety. I used to find my Commanders thumb safety off at the end of the day quite often, as it had been knocked off during the day. Never was a problem.

The difference comes when you go holsterless. Id much rather carry a Glock sans holster, than an unlocked 1911.

Understood. How many days a week do you carry a 1911 cocked and unlocked? Do you carry in an IWB holster or pocket holster?

It seems to me a cocked and unlocked pistol with a grip safety would be safer than a safetyless striker fired pistol in the context of accidentally pulling the trigger when you don’t really want to.
If the gun is in your hand, the safety is disengaged. So whats the difference?

You have to consciously hold the gun differently, and basically, unnaturally, to engage the safety.

Understood. How many days a week do you carry a 1911 cocked and unlocked? Do you carry in an IWB holster or pocket holster?
I carried a 1911 daily, IWB, for about 25 years. I dont anymore.

I don’t carry that way at all. I also am not advocating it. I’m just asking why it would be insanity when there are thousands of safetyless pistols carried cocked without manual safeties every day and the prevailing mindset is the safety is between your ears. It seems to me a cocked and unlocked pistol with a grip safety would be safer than a safetyless striker fired pistol in the context of accidentally pulling the trigger when you don’t really want to.

my question still stands...

Then why did you quote me? I've never in my life carried a 1911 pistol cocked and unlocked.

I carried a 1911 daily, IWB, for about 25 years.

Thank you but that wasn't my question. How many of those days did you carry cocked and unlocked?

25 years of carrying equals 9,125 days if that helps.

I cant say exactly, and I never knew when the safety came off during the day, as I normally didnt unholster the gun until I got home at night.

I will say I found the safety off on "many" occasions over the years though.

AK103K said:
If the gun is in your hand, the safety is disengaged. So whats the difference?
your correct. To clarify I’m only talking about in the holster. Once the gun is in the hand since its the same as any other safetyless gun its no more or less dangerous.

Ocraknife said:
Then why did you quote me? I've never in my life carried a 1911 pistol cocked and unlocked.
I didn’t say you did. I was only referencing your comment simply to add to the idea that James K was stating. My apologies if it came across wrong my question was directed at James or anyone who feels the same as his statement.

I cant say exactly, and I never knew when the safety came off during the day, as I normally didnt unholster the gun until I got home at night.

I will say I found the safety off on "many" occasions over the years though.

Fair enough, that makes a lot of sense. The main thing is that you weren't uncomfortable carrying cocked and unlocked. I understand that totally especially with highly trained folks, I'm just not that guy - yet :)

That said, I'd be curious though about how my gun went from safe to fire without my knowledge. That would concern me.

I didn’t say you did. I was only referencing your comment simply to add to the idea that James K was stating. My apologies if it came across wrong my question was directed at James or anyone who feels the same as his statement.

Oops :D My bad. Sorry about that.

If its already in the holster, its not a problem. If its going into the holster, and there might be something in the way that could snag the trigger, then it could be an issue.

In my case, it was getting knocked off during the day, during my daily activities. I work physically outdoors, and these things happen. Didnt seem to matter what holster I was using either. I used holsters with and without a sweat guard, and it happened with both.

No, factory levers. No ambi's, as I dont like them.

I carried a few different 1911's over the years, and it happened with every one I carried.

well thats interesting then. My first thought was the holster but you said it happened with different ones maybe it was the gun? No worries its a side topic lets not thread drift, just interesting. (I once had a holster that would depress the magazine on a 92FS... ) thanks for supporting my point BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back