Made in China???

what if your favorite pistol/revolver (S&W, Colt, Glock, HK, Steyr, Springfield, Kimber, Para-Ordnance, Ruger, Walther, etc etc. )manufacturer in the USA / Germany / Austria, etc suddenly took a detour and had their firearms be built in China?

(no offense to the people of China.. this is purely an honest curious question about Manufacturing companies who have chosen to give-up pride, dignity and legacy of their company for profit)

Happy & Safe Shooting to all!

Most products from China are inferior, and I would avoid them at all costs. Of all the imported products from various countries , they are by far the worst.

We are pretty well stuck with a lot of general merchandise from Communist China, but I draw the line at directly supporting the weapons industry of the Red Chinese Army. If any manufacturer I was acquainted with turned their coat and moved operations to Communist China, I would have bought my last gun from them.

Most products from China are inferior, and I would avoid them at all costs. Of all the imported products from various countries , they are by far the worst.
The Norinco was one of the best made 1911s in the world.

Major manufacturing is a race to the bottom. It all comes down to who man make the product at the lowest price and still deliver something that works.

Today that is China. Once it was the UK. At one time it was the USA.

In the end you must judge each products value versus its cost. Regardless of where it is made too much of what we buy these days is disposable.

P.S. I agree with the Nornico statement.

Look at where your TV, toaster, microwave, refrigerator, oven, washing machine, dryer, furnace, air conditioner, MP3 player, cellphone, DVD player, A/V reciever, speakers and all are made. Your computer, flatscreen, mouse, scanner, and every DVD or CD you use. Every lightbulb and the light fixtures they screw into, whether incandescent or CFL.

Look at where your dishes, silverware, glasses, containers, clothing, shoes, linens, furniture, garden tools, garden hose, and even the tires on your car are made.

Look at your kids' toys, dolls, games, bicycles, backpacks, and school supplies.

Your pets' dish, bed, toys, and leash or litterbox.

Try to find something NOT made in China. Good luck!

Nearly every bit of our lives, from the locks on our doors to the coffeemaker that wakes us up to the cellphone that connects us, (and its battery and charger) are now MADE IN CHINA.

Look at where your TV, toaster, microwave, refrigerator, oven, washing machine, dryer, furnace, air conditioner, MP3 player, cellphone, DVD player, A/V reciever, speakers and all are made. Your computer, flatscreen, mouse, scanner, and every DVD or CD you use. Every lightbulb and the light fixtures they screw into, whether incandescent or CFL.

Look at where your dishes, silverware, glasses, containers, clothing, shoes, linens, furniture, garden tools, garden hose, and even the tires on your car are made.

Look at your kids' toys, dolls, games, bicycles, backpacks, and school supplies.

Nearly every bit of our lives, from the locks on our doors to the coffeemaker that wakes us up to the cellphone that connects us, (and its battery and charger) are now MADE IN CHINA.

And we benefit from that every single day with lower prices on the consumer goods we purchase.

The Norinco 1911 is a great pistol. Good metalurgy and drop forged too boot. I wish everything was built like a brick outbuilding. Essex

Manedwolf said:

I know this first hand. My company makes precision turned parts in Switzerland, and more recently Singapore (which is NOT cheap or low quality and has a very high standard of living) for use in American manufacturing. I have seen my musical instrument manufacturers slaughterred by cheap Chinese flutes. I have seen my industrial timer manufacturers go under thanks to Chinese imports. I have seen my valve manufacturers for marine motors go to China. I have seen our computer hard drive business go to China (where we still hold some volume because nobody makes parts as small as ours in our volume with our quality and competitiveness). Many of our customers are gone now.

In that long list of products Manedwolf posted you do not see some items though. You do not see high precision hydraulics where failure = death. You do not see pacemakers. You do not see a host of implantable medical components. You do not see components for automotive airbags.

China is good if you want it cheap. They have even made some strides towards quality but only for manufacturing efficiency, not for final product performance. Only where quality = $$$ do they really invest in quality. Even then EVERYBODY who works with China knows what you order may not be what you get.

Materials are subsituted and certificates can be complete fabrications. Quality is often a matter of throwing more people at it, not really fixing the system to achieve true improvement.

The bottom line is, if your life depends on it you do not want it made in China. If my DVD player breaks I will replace it. If my hard drive crashes I am pissed off but get a new one. If a cheap metal part made from questionable material fails and locks up my gun when I need it I may die.

The way our current gov't operates there is a place for Chinese goods here. I do not agree with the level of "openness" we have with a nation that treats its populations as slaves and manages its economy in order to suck the life out of ours but that is the system we now have.

I will not though trust my life to Chinese manufactured products.

I'm personally not fussed over foriegn manufacture. We are moving toward a global econemy and it doesn't bother me in the least to be supporting a foriegn econemy, even China's. If they start shooting at us however my opinion may change... If companies switch to china and their quality takes a nose dive, people naturally won't buy those products, so in the end economics will take care of itself. I have a Tokarev pistol and an SKS manufactured by NORINCO, and both are top quality, if not finely finished, so as I said, i'm not fussed.

P.S. i've seen worse quality guns come out of Spain (Llama) than from China.

(woot, my 900th post)

My favorite manufacturer used to be S&W, and if they moved to China it would probably be an improvement. Same goes for any other U.S. gun maker.

A short while back I was working with a distributer of products from China. The metal products such as knives looked fine at first but rusted and the handles came apart during cleaning. I don't want to see what kind of inferior gun they are capable of producing unless it is by their most respected CNC facility.

Just remember, the idea of the Global Economy is a myth. Nations have their own agendas and trade is one of the tools used in obtaining their goals. If a nation depends on you for 90% of their daily consumer goods how could they ever afford to oppose you in an armed struggle without destroying their own economy?

Global trade works when it benifits both partners. We have confused "cheap prices" for a real benifit because we have not looked at the added consequences. Lost manufacturing capacity, lost technology, loss of a sustaining economy, massive loss of employment.

China stopped being a benifit long ago and is now a parasite. Our nation is essentially a crack addict who needs to keep coming back for cheap fixes. I have no moral problem bringing product in from Singapore or Switzerland to the USA. Both nations have high standards of living and governments answerable to their people. In neither is indentured servitude used. Both have no natural resources and small populations but depend on inginuity and quality to differentiate their products. China though depends on dehumanizing treatment of their population. Workers treated like slaves to attain the goal the Politburo has set for their nation. The average worker in China lives a lousy existence and does not see real benifit to their labor. Pay a man a dime an hour instead of the nickel he is used to and he is thrilled but it still sucks!

My best friend works with his dad in their family owned business which deals in machined and foundry manufactured parts. The vast majority of their suppliers are Chinese and Taiwanese. They currently supply several parts to Ford for their vehicles and are currently working on some parts that will go into the 2010 F-350. I have no issue with the quality, only the idea of an American firearms company going to a communist country. Truly I wouldn't like it even if they went to Canada. As a PM for a steel contractor, I appreciate the fact that even S&W and Ruger are basically a glorified fab/machine shop made to produce guns exclusively. I don't want to see that type of business in that type of industry go out of american hands. I'd definately pay more to keep it here.

The Atlantic has an excellent article this month on the helpful and hurtful effects of China on our economy.

And the "view" inside one of their factory cities is staggering. A full cargo container every second...

TNBulldog, I hope they do not supply many parts for the Ford Diesel truck line... That line took a major nosedive this year and left me with a warehouse full of parts looking for a home.

Lots of foundry supplied parts are coming out of China and Taiwan. At the same time you should ask your friend about the meaning of the word "yes" when used by the Chinese... It has a whole different meaning than we are used to. He also probably knows to keep a close eye on material certs since they are famous for changin materials without notification.

Sorry, but I have dealt with China and seen its work. I do not trust life saving products made there. Even the best CNC equipment means nothing if you do not have skilled operators, processess, and material suppliers that you can trust.

I know they even have materials failures with the things that make their materials, ironically.

Just this year, 30 Chinese workers were killed by white-hot molten steel pouring on them when the metal of the pouring vessel's arm failed, letting it fall three stories to dump on them.

Ouch.

I would just be glad I bought the when they were made here and not buy another one.

I have no issues with someone buying an Asia company's products if they are the best product for the money. Such as electronics, motorcycles, etc.

I do have a problem with American companies moving their production overseas so that the CEO can put a few million more in his pocket each year at the expense of the American workers.

Back