Lever actions carbines

"I was just looking at a savage 99 in 300 savage at an LGS a couple of days ago--beautifully made rifle that is quite tempting."

I LOVE my Savage 99EG in .300.

I was in college when I found it at a local gun store. I first fell in love with the Savage 99 when I saw one on the front cover of a 1975-76 edition of American Rifleman magazine.

I've always wanted a 99 in .32-40, .35-55, or .30-30, but I've never found that sweet spot intersection between price, availability, and funds.

Yes indeed, the right Sav 99 will win you over. I like the shorter barreled versions. 20" and .300 Savage is perfect for quick, steady shots. My 30-30 is also a 20" barrel and just as quick and easy to shoot.

I am down to only seven Winchester 94'S:

fzZdQ49.jpg

They are fun. I have a friend who has a Miroku made Browning 92 and to shoot 38 special he seats the bullet really far out to approximate the length of a .357.

I think with the popularity of PCC’s, maybe Chiappa or Rossi could make an 1892 size frame in 9mm, 10mm or 45 ACP, to have ammo compatibility with your modern carry pistol.

I think with the popularity of PCC’s, maybe Chiappa or Rossi could make an 1892 size frame in 9mm, 10mm or 45 ACP, to have ammo compatibility with your modern carry pistol.

I think ammo compatibility would be the only useful thing you would get. They could make them but note that they aren't.....

First point being that there are quite a few semi autos which will provide the same ammo compatibility, and with larger magazine capacities.

Next point is that the standard semi auto pistol rounds are not optimal game rounds, though they do work, the usual bullets are not as efficient as possible due to their shape and expansion characteristics.

And while I'm not concerned with 10mm or .45, I do wonder at the potential results of someone filling a tube magazine with pointy 9mm FMJ ammo.

(you know SOMEONE will do that, if possible, and very likely blame the gun maker if something bad happens...)

My guess would be that a cost/benefit analysis has been done by the gun makers and they have decided its just not worth it.

Back