Lever actions carbines

Last week I picked up an AE 94 in .357 mag with the trapper barrel. It looks sexy, but the AE action/trigger is crap. It ain't a real winchester 94. I have my father's early 50s 94 in .32 Spl and an early 70s Marlin 336. In the swamps and bayous of AR where I hunt, 50 yards is the maximum distance you can see a deer or pig.

However, that's more a function of the sights than the inherent accuracy of the rifle vs carbine.
Maybe--but I have to say my Henry BB 45-70 with 22" octagonal barrel is more accurate than any of my other straight-wall cartridge levers, and it isn't because it's easier to shoot. This thread has put me in the mood for some free-hand shooting today, it's still very snowy and windy here, so why not?:)
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6316.jpg
    IMG_6316.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
I had several years ago, foolishly sold them off.

I have slowly been adding back. A Henry .45-70, a Marlin 35 Rem, a Henry .22.

I am thinking about going on the prowl for a cheap 30A or 336 in .30-30 to have rebored into .414 SuperMag.

Why not just get a 444 marlin?

Had one, sold it. Have a .45-70 already.

I have a .41 Mag Revolver and a .414 SM Encore barrel, so I want something with bullet commonality.

The .414, from a 16" lever action would be a good step behind the .45-70 or a .444, but still a straightwall and something to fill in between those and the 10mm PCCs.

Had one, sold it. Have a .45-70 already.

I have a .41 Mag Revolver and a .414 SM Encore barrel, so I want something with bullet commonality.

The .414, from a 16" lever action would be a good step behind the .45-70 or a .444, but still a straightwall and something to fill in between those and the 10mm PCCs.
Understood. I've have/had my share of arms in .410 over the years, my enthusiasm for the caliber is beginning to wane.

Not new to my collection - had it since the mid 1980's. Lots of fun to shoot and quite accurate.

Attachments

• winchester 94 SRC 30 30 a.jpg
    winchester 94 SRC 30 30 a.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 34
  • winchester 94 SRC 30 30 b.jpg
    winchester 94 SRC 30 30 b.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 32
  • winchester 94 SRC 30 30 c.jpg
    winchester 94 SRC 30 30 c.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 30
I have 3 Marlin levers but only 1 is a carbine.
1947 36 ADL 30-30 rifle with 24" barrel and a half magazine tube
1974 336CS 30-30 carbine, 20" barrel
1976 39A 24" barrel rifle
Years ago my brother in law bought an 1894 in 44 mag and I bought one in 357.
Mine is long gone but he still has his 44. I think the 44 mag is much more versatile than the 357, still mild on recoil but a lot more punch if you need it.

my favorite lever action out of many, is a winchester model 64 in 32 spl made in 1938. shoots honest 2" three shot groups at 100 yards.

I bought a Rossi 92 carbine in 357/38 Special. I bought it on a whim and as something that would be fun and easy to shoot for my wife. It is better and more fun to shoot than I expected. It's a great, little gun that has really grown on me.

I found a Marlin 18.5” GBL 45-70 in Dicks Sporting Goods of all places and bought it on the spot. And honestly the only lever gun I’ll ever consider with a longer barrel would be the original Henry. I’m also kinda against scoping a good levergun so I’ve kept irons on mine and use it on deer drives and such. Its deadly in those snap shot situations in the thick trees. My brother snagged a Stainless Rossi R92 in 357 with the 16.5” barrel. And frankly that is one of the sweetest most fun truck gun/woods carry/ daily use guns I think I’ve ever shot. I love my 45-70 but his .357 is nearly half the weight and so handy. And with the ability to fire .38s you aren’t ruining small critters while a .357 out of a rifle is easily deadly on Whitetails to 100 yards. We both love out Levergun carbines and plan on getting more.

Wow Porche....that 1950 Winchester 94 in your #17 post is one of the best I've ever seen...truly a beautiful carbine. It's so darned pretty, I hate to ask....how's it shoot. The bluing is outstanding and that stock coloration matches one of my Springfield '03's from 1931...a logwood finish, boned by some long forgotten GI. Great find, yours, and thx for posting. Rod

Last edited:
Here's cpl of mine...the 1st and most recent from a cpl of years ago, is a Marlin 1894S in my favorite center fire caliber, the justly famous .41 Magnum.

The 2nd is a .44 Marlin Texan 336 that I found two decades ago. Some talented smith did the aftermarket checkering and maybe worked on the action a bit. It's a great deer gun.

And the final pair: A Marlin Texan .30-30 from the mid-60's & a Savage 99 in .300 Sav. That Savage is a wonder...for the first 3-shots, it'll do 1-1/4" at 100 yds. It's my 'bean field' stand gun. Best regards to all...Rod

Rod,
Nice looking lot. I think I'm in line with your use/preferences on the lever guns. My entire list includes: Rossi 92C- 38s/357 ,Winchester 94 30-30, Savage 99K takedown 30-30, Savage 99 takedown .300 Sav, and Savage 99A .300 Sav.
The Rossi with .38 Special is obviously the best plinker of the group, like a grown up Red Ryder on plates etc. The 99K had been re-barreled, so isn't valuable. It has a tang mounted peep sight, I've taken deer with it, but haven't used it in quite some time. The .300 takedown was my great grandfather's, so it doesn't go outside anymore. Winchester 94 was my fathers, but he didn't use it, so it's pretty clean. The Sav 99A is a 1977 model. I bought it new in the box, and I bought it to use. It's the most versatile gun I have for my Adirondack existence. It has a good 1-4x Steiner mounted on it. My usual distance to game is 50-75 yards, the longest shot on game I've had to take with it was 150 yards, and it was a good, clean, drop. It consistently groups at 1.5 MOA which is more than accurate enough for it's uses.
I do love those Savage lever actions. They seem the perfect weight to be steady when shooting off hand. The rotary magazine allows for pointed projectiles, and they carry beautifully. Quick to shoulder and reliable, I haven't found a more versatile, or better hunter for wooded terrain.

Rod,
Nice looking lot. I think I'm in line with your use/preferences on the lever guns. My entire list includes: Rossi 92C- 38s/357 ,Winchester 94 30-30, Savage 99K takedown 30-30, Savage 99 takedown .300 Sav, and Savage 99A .300 Sav.
The Rossi with .38 Special is obviously the best plinker of the group, like a grown up Red Ryder on plates etc. The 99K had been re-barreled, so isn't valuable. It has a tang mounted peep sight, I've taken deer with it, but haven't used it in quite some time. The .300 takedown was my great grandfather's, so it doesn't go outside anymore. Winchester 94 was my fathers, but he didn't use it, so it's pretty clean. The Sav 99A is a 1977 model. I bought it new in the box, and I bought it to use. It's the most versatile gun I have for my Adirondack existence. It has a good 1-4x Steiner mounted on it. My usual distance to game is 50-75 yards, the longest shot on game I've had to take with it was 150 yards, and it was a good, clean, drop. It consistently groups at 1.5 MOA which is more than accurate enough for it's uses.
I do love those Savage lever actions. They seem the perfect weight to be steady when shooting off hand. The rotary magazine allows for pointed projectiles, and they carry beautifully. Quick to shoulder and reliable, I haven't found a more versatile, or better hunter for wooded terrain.
I was just looking at a savage 99 in 300 savage at an LGS a couple of days ago--beautifully made rifle that is quite tempting. The only thing that gives me pause for thought is that it has the look and feel of one of my BLR's--which is a pretty hefty lever gun.

Back