Lever actions carbines

Lever gun

My last lever gun buy was a Winchester Model 1873, Lever Action, .357/38. It has the octagon barrel and and is case hardened. Gun was actually made by Miroku in Japan. A real head turner at the range. Extremely smooth action and very accurate. Nice to be able to practice using .the less expensive 38 ammo. By far my favorite rifle.

Last levers I bought was a Marlin 336 in 35 remington and a Glenfield 30A with half magazine tube in 30-30. I shot the 35 Rem a little but ended up selling because I needed the cash and so far haven't shot the Glenfield. I did have the same Glenfield many years ago and it was a tack driving rifle with the shorter mag tube. I hope to hunt with it this year.

But my all time favorite gun of all is the Marlin 357 I bought in 2002. What a great shooting gun that one is.

My last lever action was a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt. I was going to pass on it because it was a 16" barrel, but now I am glad I went ahead and got it. Pleasant and fun to shoot.

I also got a Henry Small Game Carbine in .22lr with a peep sight about a year ago that also has a 16" barrel. That gun shoots very straight and I have always liked receiver sights. This one is definitely a keeper.

I have enjoyed how handy both of these carbine-length levers have turned out to be.

I already had some other levers, but they are more standard length and not really carbines. I am a fan of levers. I know a vendor who has several Marlin .45-70s in stock and I will probably add one in the near future, especially if the future of Marlin starts looking grim.

Recently added a Henry angle eject 3030 to the gun cabinet joining some Winchesters. I’m strongly considering the Henry X 410 gauge.

0bd895a8-6bf0-47e4-b00c-e686e390d68d.jpeg

671dcf33-b235-472a-91e5-c8c3a534cb07.jpeg

5613280c-4b8a-4e24-b974-05dccfe36da9.jpeg

548fbe92-7103-46c5-bc38-7ed71e8ba370.jpeg

fd687dc2-7ced-4a21-8509-c0f336182966.jpeg

My 14th birthday present was a Winchester .22 lever gun. Since then there has always been some kind of lever gun in my rifles. Winchesters, Marlins, Savage and the last one I got, a Browning.

I've had, or have lever guns in .22LR, .30-30, .32Special, .300 Savage, .308 Winchester, .357 and .44 Magnum and also in .45-70.

Don't want a Henry, never had one, can't see where they do anything I don't already have well covered. The brass ones do look pretty but I'm past the age where pretty matters much to me.

Just put a Browning BL22 on lay-a-way today-----it a grade I FLD----nickeled receiver and oil finished stock-----actually got it cheaper than the regular standard model.

Now I'm looking for a scope or red dot that won't overwhelm the tiny little receiver and still be of decent quality.

Lots of optics seem to be sold out right now---so its not just a guns/ammo thing that there's a run on.

Last edited:
Admittedly in violation pf Rule#1 I did trade off a $150 M48 Yugo Mauser for an AE 94 Winchester. like new, with very little signs of ever being used.Then I traded a $119 Yugo SKS for a JM marked Marlin 336 with a Bushnell scope. Both shoot well, but the Marlin was down right surprising at 100 yarda!

Just put a Browning BL22 on lay-a-way today-----it a grade I FLD----nickeled receiver and oil finished stock-----actually got it cheaper than the regular standard model.

Now I'm looking for a scope or red dot that won't overwhelm the tiny little receiver and still be of decent quality.

Lots of optics seem to be sold out right now---so its not just a guns/ammo thing that there's a run on.

I would search for a Leupold rimfire scope. They are sized for the smaller receivers of rimfire rifles and are not overbearing in size. You could probably even find a used one in like new condition.

I use to be nuts over lever carbines. They look neat and handle neat. The carbines most often bring more than rifles. Well I ended up with several Win and Mar levers in rifle models.Shooting them I found out that the rifle versions are much better shooters. The only one I have that is exceptional shooter is a Marlin Maurader 30/30. It shoots as well as any lever 30/30 I’ve come across.

I’m a lever guy and have been since my first rifle purchase back in 1968 - Winchester Model 94 post-64 30-30. And my first .22 was an Ithaca 72 Lever gun which I have passed on to my Grandson. Recently purchased a Winchester 30WCF made the same year my GrandDad was born - 1904! Score! Passing it on to my son!

I use to be nuts over lever carbines. They look neat and handle neat. The carbines most often bring more than rifles. Well I ended up with several Win and Mar levers in rifle models.Shooting them I found out that the rifle versions are much better shooters. The only one I have that is exceptional shooter is a Marlin Maurader 30/30. It shoots as well as any lever 30/30 I’ve come across.
I have to agree that the rifle length levergun, especially when equipped with a target aperture in the tang sight and a thin front sight, can be aimed much more accurately at longer ranges than a carbine with standard sights. However, that's more a function of the sights than the inherent accuracy of the rifle vs carbine.

Back