Lever actions carbines

Traded in a P227sas and picked this up. Been fun to shoot. I cast a few hundred Lee 340gr and have been loading them on the plinking side with Trailboss, Unique, Bullseye and 2400. 2400 has a decent pop. Put on a Harris bipod, really is convenient. The fiber optic sights are so nice.

2ec1fa4fd1bee34830f4dc7b1343b1a9.jpg

Haven't added but I do have a Rossi in 357 that I'm looking to have some work done and made usable. The sights are canted to the left, I'm about to have a set of irons taken off a bolt gun figure i'll stick em on there and can finally shoot the thing past 10 yards.

Not lately but.....

Way back in the early 1980's I bought a Marlin 1894 in .357, and for a very long time it was my favorite GP, woods wandering carbine. Powerful enough (or not) for what ever task I put it too, ample capacity, and a delight to carry. I don't shoot it as well as I ought to these days, so I don't sally forth with it as much. The magnum pistol caliber carbines have always had an appeal to me.

357 mag is the most practical general purpose cartridge in general use today. A 44 or 45 colt shoots a bigger hunk of lead but it won't make anything more dead.

Ooh, that .41 Carbine is sweet. I’ve been toying with possibly one of the new BBS .357 X models with the side loading gate. Not the most traditional looking but a nifty idea.

This .357 Henry was purchased a few months ago in the middle of the COVID situation. I was lucky. Guns were (and still are) flying off the shelves. Sixteen 1/2 inch octagon barrel, case hardened receiver. I've become an ardent Henry fan.

Attachments

• henry357.JPG
    henry357.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I bought a 20" Rossi 92 in .357 early this year. It's a nice little rifle after adding a Marble's tang sight and a slip-on recoil pad to make the stock long enough to suit me. It fits nicely in the overhead rack in my jeep.

Lat one I added was a Henry Big Boy 45-70 with 22' octagonal barrel--don't know if that qualifies as a carbine. Big Boomer.

I also have 2 rossi 92's in 44 mag that weigh 5lbs and have 16" barrels--those I would consider carbines. Also have a marlin 336 in 30-30 and a BLR in 7-08

Uberti 1866 Winchester rifle, 44-40, Rossi 1892 carbine, 44-40, 1889 Marlin rifle, 38-40, Uberti Henry 44-40, Winchesters 1886 and 1894. Newest (Covid time purchase) is a Henry .22, black frame, octagon barrel.

I used to have a Winchester 9422 xtr that I got for around $750 10 years ago or so. Now i'm seeing it go for twice the amount on gunbroker.com.

I still want a Winchester 94 30-30 xtr though :)

I've got 8 of 'em. .22lr Henry, 2ea .38/.357 Rossis, 2ea .45 Colt Ubertis, 30-30 Mossberg and 2 scoped hunting rifles, a 300 Savage 99 and .308 Winchester 88. Great shooting fun all of them.

So much fun that I don't even own a bolt action hunting rifle anymore. However, my son has both a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06 and a Savage .223 so if needed, they are available.

My 24" Rossi rifle has both target tang and globe sights giving it a 30" sight radius. It's great fun for shooting bowling pins at 200 yds with. My 20" Rossi carbine is a great 'woods walkin' gun coupled with my SA Cav model pistol.

I have 4 Winchester rifles, one Henry, and a couple of Marlins.

My latest one is my best find. It's a 1950 Winchester 94 30/30 in perfect condition.

Attachments

• Win1950.JPG
    Win1950.JPG
    812.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I started out hunting deer with a borrowed Winchester 94 fitted with a folding tang sight. This 30-30 downed several deer for me. All were one shot kills within 100 yards while hunting the hardwood forests of western Pennsylvania. Eventually, I bought a new Glenfield and fitted this carbine with a 2-7X scope. This handy firearm has toppled several dozen deer for me including mulies taken in western South Dakota. My friends told me I needed to buy a 270 or 7mm Mag for my western hunts but this short Glenfield has always been my choice instead.

30-30 is a keeper!

Jack

Chiappa has a new, mostly period correct 1892 that is being distributed by Cimarron and Rossi has a new model of the 92 carbine with better wood and gold plated trigger, hammer, lever and barrel band, it's pretty cool. Available in 357 or 44 mag.

Porsche911.

Could you possible fix the size of your attachments? I’d love to see your levers without scrolling to the east coast.

Back