Lets have a little fun, 1 company 1 gun

I'll go with the used gun I bought for less than $400 in December 2019, a Smith and Wesson Model 3953TSW no rail.

Probably a ghost gun 80% chassis, to build my own P320.

It may sound like I'm bending/breaking the rules, but I'd definitely be looking to bend/break the rules IRL if someone tried to impose this kind of "lifetime restriction" on me.

I bought my FEG Hipower clone for $225.00 and so far FN parts have all fit. Plus this leaves me $200.00 for mags and ammo. All steel, shoots great and actually quite easy to carry. Otherwise in a new modern gun it would have to be a Ruger. But if I could find a S&W model 67 for this price I’d snatch it in a moment and be perfectly satisfied.

Reality? Wilson EDC X9. Once I got mine the rest of my pistols all were demoted to "on the chopping block" potentially.

For this thought experiment?

Beretta APX would do it. Modular so I can have some flexibility, reliable, accurate, good trigger, under $400.

It'd need new sights and I'd have to adapt to the megafat slide for carry, but I'd find a way.

I can’t bear this thread for several reasons:
1. I would be miserable without a .22 target pistol
2. A fella needs a hunting handgun
3. We need one more. For some it’s to carry, for some it’s for sport.
4. A well built handgun can last three generations, maybe more. I don’t mind paying a bit more for quality tools that will last.

The obvious answer is Ruger, because they are the Toyota of the gun world in America.
1. Ruger Mark IV for a target pistol, put an Ultradot on it. Target, plinking, small game
2. Ruger Blackhawk 5.5” in .44 or .45. Deer through Dinosaurs.

For .22 and single action, Ruger has pistols I do actually want to own.

For anything else... not so much. I could live with their other offerings.

But what if I say something like Norinco? I am keeping my Olympia clone forever and I hear their 1911 clone has an excellent frame for custom work.. I’m sure they have something interesting I would want if we could buy them.

Baikal? If you can get the huge Baikal .22 target pistol, buy it. It’s as good as a Hamerli. I bet the Russians make a nice makarov, too.

These are other “cheap but good” options.

In the end, I’m gonna add the Bersa Thunder .380 as a fun centerfire pistol at any price.

Probably one of the CZ clones like the Tanfoglio Witness.

I have seen them as cheap as 250 and they take CZ-75 magazines.

I am most familiar with CZ-75 style DA/SA type operation of firearms.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The answer is easy as pie.... a Makarov

There isn't a more reliable, rugged, simpler, accurate, easy to shoot, easy to maintain and service pistol.
That is inexpensive to own, inexpensive to practice, inexpensive to maintain.
100+ years from now they will still be in use somewhere.
The proverbial "AK47" of the pistol world.

:cool:

Makarove-Russian.jpg

Last edited:
My handgun priority is self defense and the gun has to be able to be concealed and carried under virtually any circumstances. Assuming a new purchase:

For me a S&W shield.

The answer is easy as pie.... a Makarov

There isn't a more reliable, rugged, simpler, accurate, easy to shoot, easy to maintain and service pistol.
That is inexpensive to own, inexpensive to practice, inexpensive to maintain.
100+ years from now they will still be in use somewhere.
The proverbial "AK47" of the pistol world.

:cool:

Makarove-Russian.jpg
DING, DING, DING! We have the winner! Never entered my mind but you are so right. Great post!

Smith and Wesson SD9VE.

enhance

I think I paid $250-275 (used) not too long ago. It would do anything I wanted a handgun for.

I'd really prefer a revolver, but that $400 limit keeps it down to something like this. Maybe an old Taurus 66 if I could find one.

I would look around for a used S&W model 64 and if I got exhausted doing that then I would get a model 10 either one with a 4” barrel.

M&P9c for an auto

Taurus 66 for a wheel gun

SAR K2P 9mm for what I already own that fits the criteria

EDIT: I'd be pretty peeved to have to give up my MkIII 22-45/w red dot

Back