LEO's what is safe etiquette when stopped

Are you trying to address universal commonalities in police work? There are very few of those. What is your metric for defining "winning"?

There are some commonalities that need to be addressed in the way police work is done in low income, high crime areas, especially those with high percentages of blacks. We talk about making those areas "high enforcement" but in far too many neighborhoods that is not the case. Police response is slow, and there isn't enough presence to deter crime. Without that presence and relationship with the community, police are ineffective.

The greater problem is the system that enables and sustains poverty, ignorance, violence, racism, and dependency. Winning is breaking this cycle. The politics of that cannot be solved, or even explored here.

I do not blame law enforcement for creating this mess. There are individuals and departments that contribute though. Denying that ignores the evidence. I know many cops, some well. I respect them and the work they do. They are professionals who are dedicated to serving the community, putting their life on the line daily. I also know that there are others who should find another line of work.

You know how in police training you were shown examples of the interactions that had gone wrong and resulted in increased danger if not injury or death to the officer and for at least for some officers it influenced how you approached those interactions? You know for many of you it took a long time to find the right balance in approaching those interactions? Regardless of the fact that those interactions are not the common interaction they were still put into your mind.

I am not one of the profiled class, race, or anything else. I get that. Virtually all of my interactions with officers have been professional to the point of bordering on friendly.

Those videos you have watched in training. The counterparts for civilians having negative interaction with officers are floating around and shown over and over and over again. Those color the actions and attitudes of those officers interact with and, because those civilians often have less interactions with officers then officers have with civilians, take longer to really know (even if one "knows" it) that those bad interactions are not the norm. Imagine, for those of you who are officers, if you had been told in the beginning that everyone of those interactions would have been with a civilian carrying a gun.

And... then there is the uncertainty. Even on these boards we cannot seem to agree on the safest method of interaction during a routine traffic stop.

Last edited:
But of the high profile incidents, I can count on one hand the ones where I feel an indictment was appropriate,

Thats why there needs to be a third party review. No entity self polices properly. Its human nature.

Again to the topic, what is the recommended course of action? I am not getting a lot of feedback here.

Bill, I missed the post, but what is your opinion on the best etiquette? To the topic, what is the best thing to do?

- Have your required papers in order.
- Meet any legal requirements for carry
- Try to be the better man

Same stuff we should all be doing any way.

No entity self polices properly. Its human nature.

If they could there would be no police.

There is no 'safe' etiquette when dealing with cops Kemosabe.

Not bashing cops but even with your hands up if someone else in the car does something that makes them think they are in danger or another cop accidentally fires their weapon they can (and have done) all start shooting.

Any encounter with a cop is dangerous by definition. Thus drive inside the speed limit, keep your car's registration up to date, don't cut people off, don't get into arguments, etc... in short, keep interactions with cops to a minimum.

Sounds harsh, but true.

Deaf

Back