LAPD officer shot by his son sues gun maker

Apples and oranges... a knife is used for cutting by adults, whether food or otherwise. A gun is only authorized to be used by adults, but may come into the hands of minor children. A duty lies to provide some sort of mechanism to prevent or minimize the misuse by a CHILD. If the person in the back seat were an adult, the facts greatly change.
Huh? You are saying children cannot access knives and that it is not the responsibility of the adult guardian to prevent a child from playing with a steak knife?

Or are you alluding that every item ever manufactured has to be done so in a way that it cannot be misused by a small child?

Depends on the facts. I'm not going to lecture you further on this. Read up on the law or go to law school. I don't work for free.

"a) [2:644.2] Precautions against anticipated misuse required: Misuse may be a cognizable defense against a plaintiff who disregarded a warning label or used the product in a manner for which it was not intended.

However, “the law now requires a manufacturer to foresee some degree of misuse and abuse of his product, either by the user or by third parties, and to take reasonable precautions to minimize the harm that may result from misuse and abuse.” The extent to which manufacturers and product designers must anticipate misuse presents an issue of fact. [Self v. General Motors Corp. (1974) 42 CA3d 1, 7, 116 CR 565, 579 (overruled on other grounds in Soule v. General Motors Corp. (1994) 8 C4th 548, 580, 34 CR2d 607, 626)—vehicle manufacturer must anticipate possibility of high-speed collisions when determining location of fuel tank; Bunch v. Hoffinger Industries, Inc. (1994) 123 CA4th 1278, 1302–1303, 20 CR3d 780, 799; Huynh v. Ingersoll–Rand, supra, 16 CA4th at 833, 20 CR2d at 300—disregard of warning label not a defense if warning inadequate or difficult to interpret]"

I'm, among other professions, a manufacturing engineer. When dealing with equipment that may be life-threatning approximately 30% of your add+cost is due to potential threats (lawsuits, et al.). Add another 30-35% for inefficient labor or unions. Then add our distribution system: manufacturer to distributer to dealer and you can see where your money goes.

In the good old US of A, if you pay retail, it's approx. 1/5 of cost. Add the above numbers and you'll really wonder how it all works but it does, every day.

Well, I'm not surprised. Seems lawyers have seen to it that no one is responsibile for anything they let happen to themselves these days.:cool:

Just saw on the news that a woman was filing a suit after injuring herself putting on her underwear. I guess her thong stretched too far and--- whammo!:rolleyes:

Robber barons. Are you hillarys spokesperson??? This guy is an idiot. The position he is in is entirely his fault. I can not feel sorry for him. He could have avoided it by making sure his firearm was put in a safe place. Glock is not responsible for one cent. Funny. If I got shoot by my 3 year old, from the back seat of my vehicle not only would I be wounded and in a wheel chair, child protective services would have my kid(s) and I would be facing neglect charges. Screw him and his stupid lawsuit.

The only thing I want to know is why the hell a 'Ten year veteran' at the LAPD didn't know not to keep his firearm loaded when he was off duty and driving around... Also keeping a loaded gun around children is never good...

That's normally for their safety mind you. Not so much yours!

To DustMonkey, I agree!

Swampghost I'm, among other professions, a manufacturing engineer. When dealing with equipment that may be life-threatning approximately 30% of your add+cost is due to potential threats (lawsuits, et al.). Add another 30-35% for inefficient labor or unions. Then add our distribution system: manufacturer to distributer to dealer and you can see where your money goes.

In the good old US of A, if you pay retail, it's approx. 1/5 of cost. Add the above numbers and you'll really wonder how it all works but it does, every day.

So, my 500-600 dollar Glock would cost 100 bucks to make, if it was made in the US. Then, I sell it for 225 to the LAPD. I make 125% profit, NOT bad. Course Gaston probably has way less production cost, so it probably costs him 50 bucks a gun, or less, with 200-250% profit. The lawsuit is already factored into the price, so, if nobody sues, you get to make another 300 dollars on the gun!!! WOW!! for 99.9% of the guns you sell, you make nearly 400-500%, provided no one gets shot, thanks to your non-existent, 20 year out of date design.

Now, for every retail gun he sells, he's making 450%, unless someone sues...

So, what we should do is include a Ford Pinto in the price...

Nice matching pair...:barf:

Hillary? The person everybody dies around? NO Thank you!

Are you an Enron fan?????

I'm sorry, but your assertion that Glock is not at fault is worth what I paid for it. With the legal concepts of 'warranty of marketabilty'(I may not be remembering that exactly right), anticipated misuse, industry standard, and a design in serious need of a real safety, I think the guy has a solid suit.

Also keep in mind that I've never had such a case properly reported in the news, so, it was probably a 6'9", 23 year old kid, who wanted to kill his father, and, the retraction for the error is on the third inside, back page, in 1 font print...

Minor details that will come out at trial...

PS
Gaston must have the same acountant that Ford had that figured it was cheaper to pay the wrongful deaths off then retool the production line so your Pinto didn't blow up, if you got hit from behind, making a left turn...I sure hope that guy sleeps well at night, comforted by the fact that he sentenced a bunch of people to a random, horrible, burning death.
Maybe Gaston could bring this guy over to Austria, and use him as a testimonial to 'Glock Perfection', and, how well his 'safety' system works...

I guess many here have never forgotten to unload their pistols, have never had an AD or ND, have never lost or forgotten their car keys or wallet, have never gone out with a gun they later learned was unloaded, etc., etc.

May the 'righteous ones' of you be struck down with all of the Biblical wrath that Samuel L. Jackson uttered in 'Pulp Fiction'. :D

Get off your high horse's for God's sake! GGGeeeesssshhhh...disgusting...Some people are just naive about human nature and have little knowledge of the role that Human Factors play in such situations.

And being human, of course, you don't make mistakes, do you? Or, do you?

I guess many here have never forgotten to unload their pistols, have never had an AD or ND, have never lost or forgotten their car keys or wallet, have never gone out with a gun they later learned was unloaded, etc., etc.
I have never left an unloaded gun unattended and especially not around a child. Don't try to portray leaving a loaded gun within reach of an unsupervised child as comparable to losing your keys.

That's why I never carry a gun off my person, in a fanny pack, etc. I KNOW that one day, due to some sort of stress, I will forget it, or, it will get stolen.

Accepting that humanity is human, and makes mistakes should be the first part of 'Glock Perfection'.
Glocks: Only for Gods:
GLOCKTEN.jpg

This line is one of the all time greats, but looses a bit without the obscenity:
Jules: Normally, both your asses would be dead as ****ing fried chicken, but you happen to pull this **** while I'm in a transitional period so I don't wanna kill you, I wanna help you. But I can't give you this case, it don't belong to me. Besides, I've already been through too much **** this morning over this case to hand it over to your dumb ass.
Jules used a 1911, with both a grip safety, and a thumb safety. I'd like to see a 3 year old figure that out, and fire it...

The fact that a 3 year old fired the gun certainly is strong evidence that the gun is not safe for it's intended purpose. What are the odds a 3 year could fire a Glock into your spine, sitting in the backseat of a car?

I'm pretty sure it was Ayoob in "Gun Proof Your Kids" that pointed out that his small children could operate every gun he thought they couldn't.

Cop is an idiot

Leaves a loaded gun where his toddler can get hold of it. What an IDIOT. He is 110% responsible and should be ashamed of himself for blaming anyone but himself for his stupidity. I hope all parties countersue and teach this jerk a lesson.

The officer is probably desperately searching for money to cover his medical expenses. I would guess if you research further you will find he recently hit or is nearing his health insurance lifetime cap. Sad, but I don't blame him for hitting the only deep pockets he can find. I am not close to saying I wouldn't try the same thing in a similar his situation even though it is obviously unethical.
A police officer should obviously know enough about his sidearm and holster to void any dealer/manufacturer responsibility.

This guy is 100% responsible for this incident.

While I agree that it's the officer's fault, I'm just enough of a liberal to think it might not hurt Glock financially to help this guy out, just a little.

There is no way Glock should help this guy out. If he was in a car accident and his unrestrained child was killed, should the maker of the child car seat pay him money? No way.

Sounds like this is going back and forth but to me it looks like the bottom line is the pistol worked as advertised. You pull the trigger and it goes bang. That's what pistols do.

OTOH it sounds like the cop:
Failed to restrain the child in a legal manner.
Failed to properly secure the pistol in a legal manner.

The officer is probably desperately searching for money to cover his medical expenses. I would guess if you research further you will find he recently hit or is nearing his health insurance lifetime cap. Sad, but I don't blame him for hitting the only deep pockets he can find...Some people are just naive about human nature and have little knowledge of the role that Human Factors play in such situations.
I'm not going to cast blame here on other posters as seems to be the drift of this thread. But I will point out that some folks need to seriously look at how our society as a whole is failing to to allow people the experience of learning from their own mistakes while holding innocent third parties responsible. Here is a link if you don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

A duty lies to provide some sort of mechanism to prevent or minimize the misuse by a CHILD.
That mechanism is an external safety device commonly called a "parent" and the standard equipment is 2 per child at the moment of conception. These mechanisms often fail but aftermarket replacements seldom work, which is why standard equipment includes 4 spares, commonly called "grandparents". Nothing in the manual about any other required devices. :rolleyes:

Why does it matter how much money Glock has???

Because they are a successful business they should have to pay people for their stupidity? How would you feel if the gun was made by a small family owned shop? Now ask yourself why it should matter.

I love how some people in this country believe that by becoming successful you are suddenly responsible for all the idiots and/or lazy people. I 100% disagree with "forced charity" especially when it is rewarding the stupid/lazy.

This guy left a loaded gun in the backseat with his (obviously unrestrained) 3 year old. If I were him I would be keeping my mouth shut and trying to keep away from attention for fear of having my children taken away and serving time.

Glock should fight this to the end, and when the guy looses, tell him that since they feel bad, they are going to create a fund for LEOs wounded/killed IN THE LINE OF DUTY and then donate several million dollars to it.

Jules used a 1911, with both a grip safety, and a thumb safety. I'd like to see a 3 year old figure that out, and fire it...

Nope. Jules used a Star Model B which has no grip safety.

Thank goodness the legal community is there to protect us all from our chronic stupidity.

Back