LAPD officer shot by his son sues gun maker

The guy made a stupid mistake. He is paying for that mistake. If they want to let him back on the force at some capacity, great. Good deal. He is a trained police officer and even cops make stupid mistakes. One error shouldn't ban you from your chosen career for the rest of your life. I've been at my chosen career for 30 years and haven't made a major mistake since last Friday.

On the flip side, I totally disagree with his being able to make the lawsuits and hope he loses all of them.

I see nothing 'highroad' about 'Sidetracked' remarks, which I believe are rude, crude, and cruel.

Oh, forgive me, this is not the 'highroad', but I would hope Staff would concur.

I see nothing 'highroad' about 'Sidetracked' remarks, which I believe are rude, crude, and cruel.

Oh, forgive me, this is not the 'highroad', but I would hope Staff would concur.

Does that mean you believe the firearm safety rules violated by this man are of no consequence?
That everyone should leave loaded firearms laying around for children to play with?

As a Libertarian, I believe that the officer did not do anything that should have been illegal. I believe Big Brother should not have such laws in place. I believe that my fellowman has the right to make mistakes, do stupid things, end up in wheel chairs, and, that Congress shouldn't write a law making 'stupid' illegal.

To be more pragmatic, I'd rather have Glocks' Insurance company, who will otherwise just get much richer, pay for the guys medical, etc., then the state of Kali, or the Federal Government. I guess none of the above would be another choice, but, that's not going to happen in this day and age.

The only real fix for stupid is to let it happen.

As a Libertarian, I believe that the officer did not do anything that should have been illegal. I believe Big Brother should not have such laws in place. I believe that my fellowman has the right to make mistakes, do stupid things, end up in wheel chairs, and, that Congress shouldn't write a law making 'stupid' illegal.
Then surely you believe that he, and only he, should then pay for his mistakes afterwards...and hope that he was smart enough to have bought insurance. :)

I also believe in a great deal of what you just said, but not when it comes to endangering a child. I draw the line there. The child cannot protect itself.

"The only real fix for stupid is to let it happen."

Can't disagree with that statement since there is no way to prevent stupid mistakes from happening.

That being said, it seems inane to me that insurance companies, state or federal governments should be expected to pay for someones stupidity.

In todays tort focused court system all a stupid person needs to do is find a sympatheric judge and jury and we all get to pay for his stupidity. (Insurance companies pass on their costs just as governments raise taxes for cover theirs).

I believe that people should pay for their own stupid mistakes and not try to make it appear as if it's the fault of someone else that they are stupid.

To be more pragmatic, I'd rather have Glocks' Insurance company, who will otherwise just get much richer, pay for the guys medical, etc., then the state of Kali, or the Federal Government. I guess none of the above would be another choice, but, that's not going to happen in this day and age.

I'd like people to take responsibility for their actions. I'd like to see this guy pay his own medical bills.

The only real fix for stupid is to let it happen.

Agreed, I've said for years that they should get rid of warning labels, if some people too stupid figure out that a curling iron is for external use only or that you can't bring your T.V into the shower, then maybe just maybe they will be prevented from breeding.

I don't think either of us will get what we would like.

Back