Kroger: New policy of no CCW 4/28/10

There's a couple of things at play here in Texas. First, if you own a business and wish to exclude CHL's from carrying inside, you only have to make your policy clear - there's no requirement on how you do so - simply having a visible sign that says NO GUNS is more than adequate to allow the police to arrest someone if he/she is observed carrying onsite.

Absolutely incorrect. See Texas penal code secion 30.06(c)(3)(a) and (b).

"but they can limit concealed carry without signage simply through verbal announcement"

"Absolutely incorrect. See Texas penal code section 30.06(c)(3)(a) and (b). "

So simple verbal announcement is OK but just a sign that says NO GUNS is not acceptable and must be done using the correct 30.06 sign?
Sounds a bit iffy to me, especially since we can't expect the owner to announce to every entering customer about the policy. IMHO a sign saying no guns would be the same in practice.

I don't know if that's the case. If a place has a NO GUNS or similar sign, I wouldn't go there. Even if it's not illegal, the owner is already telling me he's against it and I would agree to his wishes, after telling him that I'm not coming in and not giving him my business until he takes of that sign. Of course large corporations are more complex.

The 30.06 forbids guns; nothing more needed.

Without a 30.06 it is required that the owner or his agent personally contact the gun carrier and ask him to leave. If the gunny leaves, that’s it. If he refuses it becomes criminal trespass.

Back