Kroger: New policy of no CCW 4/28/10

Good luck, would be an empty threat on my part. I don't shop @ my local Krogers. If I did, I'd applaud their local policy, not give them grief over the actions of another region.

I sent them an email. I got this reply today:
diane.blanton@kroger.com said:
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with our Conceal Carry policy. Please know that our company follows state laws regarding this issue and policies may vary depending on the laws of the state in which you reside. For customers shopping in our Columbus Division stores, the policy is as follows:

· Employees are not allowed to carry weapons while on duty, with the exception of armed security and Police officers.

· We do not post ‘no weapons’ signs.

I hope this information is helpful to you and I appreciate the opportunity to clarify the policy for you. Should you have any additional comments or questions, please let me know.

I sent a follow up question:
rjrivero said:
Ms. Blanton,

Thank you for the time of your reply. I am not sure if you are aware, but Ohio is an OPEN CARRY state as well. It is NOT against the law for a citizen to carry a handgun properly holstered and uncovered.

Is there a policy on OPEN carry in your stores?

Thank you in advance.
I will keep you up to date on any further communication.

Please know that our company follows state laws regarding this issue and policies may vary depending on the laws of the state in which you reside.
Wow. Starbucks may have set a nice precedent. Now if they will just actually follow that policy.

I was working OFCC table right across from ya on Sunday.
THe guy you were working with knew one of the guys at our table and walked over to talk to him. He told us you were PGWP. I was going to walk over and have a chat, but next thing I knew your table was all packed up and you guys were long gone:)

I received the same reply as others indicating they can't allow CCW in places with D licenses and that they can't allow OC at all without really specifying if that is due to state law or just their policy.

I pretty much copy and pasted someone else's reply including the excerpt of the law and sent it to them.

Last edited:
Same thing in my mailbox today:
Dear Mr. ********:

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with our Conceal Carry policy. Please know that our company follows state laws regarding this issue and policies may vary depending on the laws of the state in which you reside. I have shared your comments with the Regional Office for further review. Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Amber Sublett
Consumer Affairs

THe guy you were working with knew one of the guys at our table and walked over to talk to him. He told us you were PGWP. I was going to walk over and have a chat, but next thing I knew your table was all packed up and you guys were long gone

We cut out if there. Didn't raise a dime for the cause or sign any new memberships up. What a dead show to work. Its a great show for collecting but for working it blows. We may not hit that one gain. Its just too hard being in the lobby and getting anyone to stop and listen.

I did Join OGCA though. God I was in old S&W wheelgun heaven!

I did tell everyone that stopped an talked about Kroger.

I now have the same e mail reply from Diane Blanton, minus the local references of course. I also spoke to an assistant mgr at our store. He, like the pharmacist, said he did his best to stay in the loop on issues from corporate HQ and around their networks. He had not heard of the OH situation. He said 1 person had OC'd recently here and a lot of customers complained. They asked him to leave and he did so, politely. He personally didn't have an issue with OC or CCW. I told him if Kroger posted signs, it is an invitation to robbery. He agreed 100%. Anyway, sounds like HQ is keeping other regions uninformed. Seems that would be hot news on their grapevine otherwise. I told the asst mgr we spend a lot there and may have to take it elsewhere if Kroger didn't do right by people.

So, you Ohio guys; is OC that common in your state? Can you safely walk the street without being stopped/questioned? I prefer CC but think either should be legal. OC requires greater care to ensure firearm not being snatched, people should carefully deal with that.

I wrote to Kroger myself and have not received a response in over 2 days now. I made sure to inform them of the local laws and provide sound reasoning as to why this is both an unsafe practice and a poor business move on their part.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the pressure so far. Let's keep it up. If you're a CCW supporter and haven't thrown in yet, just a quick 30 second message about you disagreeing with the policy will help wonders.

Keep up the fight. If we get them to realize that they've ousted themselves on this one, Kroger might recant, wise up, and become the next Starbucks. Somebody's got to do it eventually.

~LT

Mine was about 4 days getting a reply. They are not very responsive. Local mgrs here have still not heard of the situation or will not talk about it if they have.

I received another e mail, similar to 1st. This one was from Nicole Belcamino. I thanked her and advised that my family spent $257 at Kroger from 5-15 to 5-27, yesterday. Advised further of 1 of our expensive pharmacy meds we get from them first of each month.

Try that with future contacts with Kroger. I'm sure our business would not bankrupt them to lose, but we could still impact the bottom line, stock prices, etc. Corporations do not seek to lose business but to gain it. If each of us reminds them what we spend, someone in HQ is likely keeping a tally.

May not help, couldn't hurt.

I also reminded her that gunowners are among the most law abiding customers they have and that they have nothing to fear from us.

In one of my previous conversations with a local member of management, I said that Kroger would be inviting robberies if they posted against carry. He agreed, off the record, that thugs would be reassured that they had the only guns in the building.

While many of us, often wisely, keep quiet about carrying, sometimes it is wise to tactfully disclose to people in charge. They may be surprised, "I didn't know someone like him carried guns. He's a nice guy and good customer". "I'm surprised he carries a gun. I saw him help an elderly couple with their bags in the parking lot." And so on....

Last edited:
Well this is a partal win folks. They have relented and have agreed to follow state law in the Cinci Division as it pertains to CC and class D6-D8. OC is another kettle of fish.They are not saying OC is welcome...

Email to our OFCC coordinator
Mr. NavyChief,
Thanks for sharing your concern as it relates to this issue. I have been advised our company will follow state laws regarding the Conceal Carry Policy as you know this law may vary depending on state.
We currently do not post no weapons signs in our stores.

As always contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Pierce ______
Kroger Company
Division Loss Prevention Manager
513-xxx-xxxx
Fax / 513-xxx-xxxx0

Verified via phone follow-up.

It was all the emails no doubt that turned the thing around. All due to good folks here and in all the forums we cross posted this issue on.

I say still keep emailing on the OC as it is lawful in Ohio.

ncpatriot wrote:

So, you Ohio guys; is OC that common in your state? Can you safely walk the street without being stopped/questioned? I prefer CC but think either should be legal. OC requires greater care to ensure firearm not being snatched, people should carefully deal with that.

Wouldn't say its a common thing but yes people OC here. In fact a guy just won a settlement for being taken down at gun point for OCing in Cleveland Heights.

I OC from time to time when I pump gas or don't feel like slipping on a cover garment in the summer while out and about.

After the wind storm a year and a half ago here the place went nuts with no power. When it came back on it was almost a riot situation at the gas stations. I OC'd when I went up to get fuel for my Geny.

So yep OC has it place and its problems but I support it and do it on occasion.

I suggest anyone that still believes in OC keep emailing Kroger as if they say they will follow state law then OC is lawful.

As it stands now CC is good to go in D-6 D-8 krogers. Just be sure of you local Kroger licenses. They can be found at Ohio Dept of Liquor Controls web site. Search by county then city. Some are D1 and D2 and some C's. This is questionable as to legal carry in Ohio and I personally wouldn't but we just passed SB239 in the state Senate and its headed to the House and this will fix all D establishments if we can get it through hopefully by November.

Thaks OhioLeadSlinger, here in NC, OC is technically legal but not safe to do out and around. Anyone feeling threatened or intimidated can complain to police. One can be charged with "going armed to terror of the public". I use to see some OC by fisherman, still some by hunters. Don't know of that ever being a problem. Other than that, a few convenience store or gas station clerks. They are pretty safe with it, as they are on their own premises. I'd have to sympathize a little with Kroger, if they get complaints from other shoppers on someone doing OC. They want to be fair to everyone and don't want the frightened shoppers to leave. Hopefully, OC will become more common in more places and fewer people will complain. Don't know to what degree it will happen, but I'd like to see the public in general lose their fear of the mere sight of an armed citizen. In my city, if I OC'd, I would likely be stopped in 10-15 minutes, or as long as it takes for the 1st cop to arrive from the 1st call. Yes, there would be several calls.

I was in Kroger yesterday in Denton, TX. The one on University Dr (Hwy 380) and there are no signs posting no carry on the front entrance that Texas requires for a business to prohibit CC. If and when Kroger pulls this, I will take my grocery business to Albertson's or Wally World which may not be a lot but is $600 to $800 per month and my gasoline and diesel purchases (at the south Denton location) which are another $500 to $600 per month. Then there are the prescriptions that my wife and I both use Kroger for because it is convenient. It will not be convenient if I am not buying groceries and gas and diesel there. I believe the total cost for the meds each month surpasses another $600 per month. Kroger, this is for you. If you want to continue to sell me groceries, gas, diesel and meds at your pharmacy, you best not post your front door as I will not go through it if it is posted in any manner to restrict my right to carry concealed on your premises! Believe it as it is no BS!

:D :D :D :D :D

I was in Kroger yesterday in Denton, TX. The one on University Dr (Hwy 380) and there are no signs posting no carry on the front entrance that Texas requires for a business to prohibit CC.

Texas law does not require a sign to prohibit concealed carry. It does require a 30.06 sign if they are going to limit concealed carry through signage, but they can limit concealed carry without signage simply through verbal announcement.

Personally, I like the new Kroger on the south side of Denton.

There's a couple of things at play here in Texas. First, if you own a business and wish to exclude CHL's from carrying inside, you only have to make your policy clear - there's no requirement on how you do so - simply having a visible sign that says NO GUNS is more than adequate to allow the police to arrest someone if he/she is observed carrying onsite.

Now, if you operate a business that serves alcohol, and more than 50% of your revenue is derived from sales of alcohol, then CHL's are statutorily prohibited from carrying inside and you are obligated to post the ubiquitous "51" signs at your business establishment, and the language on these is obligatory under TX law.

Back