Knife in addition to gun?

I rotate carry of
- Benchmade Mini-Griptillian (Combo Blade, Axis Lock, 154CM steel)
- CRKT Tiny Tighe Breaker (Outburst, AutoLAWKS, AUS8 steel)
- Buck Squire (440HC steel, Buck's legendary heat-treat)
- Leatherman Burst (Bigger multitool, but the knife blade is pretty mean. 440A steel)
- Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman II
- Buck Minibuck (Tiny 440HC steel knife, can fit in my jeans coin pocket)

When I have the LCP and Benchmade, I feel very good about life.

Yes always. Many places no gun is allowed. It's for SD and used for many jobs.

A Benchmade 580 Osborne design with assisted opening. Also Case 3 blade Stockman.

Maybe something like this?

MikeAdamson-KnifeCollection-CutlassPistol-4-1018x400.jpg

I always carry at least a 3-inch folder which clips on to a pocket on my weak side ... it gets used for lots of things during the day besides self-defense, but it gets sharpened once a week and it's ready if I need it ...

What is crazy is a lot of places its illegal to have a fixed blade of any kind or a folding blade longer than 3 inches in a public venue.

Its strange that I can legally carry a 45 acp with 25 rounds but not a knife of any real length or any sort of fixed blade.

All my years in the service I carried a multi tool of one kind or another, a spyder co for cutting rope and if the occasion called for it a gerber MK II for less pleasant possibilities yet as a civilian a tiny weenie knife is all you can really have most places.

At home in NH I carry a gun and the knife is just carried as a tool. I have zero training in knife fighting. i wouldn't even carry a knife if I didn't buy a Benchmade 6150 auto on impulse. Now I'm just used to having a knife with me. I'm deployed now and clipped to my front left ACU trouser pocket is a CRKT M21-14SF. Again, just as a tool. My M4 is more than enough for defending myself.

As of May 2010 NH has no carry restrictions on knives. Auto, fixed, you name it, you can own and carry it.

Only knives I carry are included in my small pocket-sized Leatherman tools (a Squirt and a Juice), which hardly qualify as weapons. I have no training or experience in knife fighting so wouldn't try to use a knife as a weapon anyway.

I find I rarely use the knife blade on my multitools but the scissors and screwdrivers come in very handy.

I always carried a knife on my strong side for utility use only.

In 2009, I took the Suarez International 0-5Ft Gunfighting class. During this training course, I learned the benefit and wisdom of having a weapon accessible by either hand.

My pistol is AIWB carried at 12:30, and I now carry a knife clipped to each pocket.

ALWAYS...

Gun or not, you should ALWAYS carry a good locking folder at the very least, preferably one that can be opened one handed.

My knife is a pretty handy tool.

I'm always using it to open mail, packages, etc. If I need to, I will use it for self defense--but the knife is much more utilitarian than the gun.

While I understand I am in a severe minority, I carry a Kershaw tirade clipped in my right hip pocket where I would normally carry my wallet. I also regularly carry a Kimber Ultra.

I was found myself suddenly face to face with somebody demanding my wallet, I would opt for the knife rather than the gun.

Krav Maga and FOF classes have taught me I can win most encounter by allowing my opponent(s) to think I am giving them my wallet and begging for mercy. Drawing a gun is a loosing proposition if you are already at knife or gun point. Moving inside the OODA loop nobody expects while stepping forward to hand your wallet but that hand now has my knife, those tendons attached to the gun/knife hand only take a half second to disconnect. Also while you are whittling away, that person makes a great shield for you if he has some buddies.

I train every year, and being old and gray certainly is a psychological plus, (nobody expects you to do much but whine and beg) but a physical minus for me (I am no longer Jumping Jack Flash). I give myself 30 seconds to be done with the encounter, or I will probably loose. (Don't have the physical endurance any more, but I fight really dirty).

Since I'm in downstate NY, and not one of the rich and famous, my pistol license restrictions don't allow for the EDC of a firearm. Having said that I always carry a knife and firearm when/where I can with my out of state licenses. Each has its place and given the justification and opportunity my preference would be using the tool that allows for projecting power over distance.

Back