Knife in addition to gun?

Tactical? Nope. Just handy and don't gouge stuff when sitting.

The clip is one of those gadgets/gizmos that someone should have reasoned the utility value of a looong time ago. Maybe its one of those 'why dint I think of that ?' moments.

Pocket knives turn sideways and lay horizontal in the pocket. Possible exception acklonledged to the small 'watch pocket' Gentleman's knife.

Next up was when Buck marketed the 110. It was carried best in a holster/scabbard and was heavy, but felt lively in the hand. Good for knocking on metal doors in an attempt to make a delivery.:D It, and products like it, made a decent hammer of sorts.

I don't have a need for a heavy handle counter weight these days, but the Kershaw Blurr is a light weight, easily carried tool. It is one hand, assited opening for this arthritic, carpal tunnel geezer. It stays straight up and down vertical, as well as accessable, thanks to the spring clip.

I doubt that it will see use as anything other than opening boxes, cutting tape, string, amd such, or digging out the occasional splinter. It can be deployed with the left hand.

Tactical, if I understand the intent, would be a now discontinued Spiderco 'Copilot' that is used as a money clip. Assuming I was agile enough, that could present a surprise to someone who demanded all we had.

salty

Last edited:
I carry a knife, but like most folks on here, for utility rather than fighting. Its a handy piece of equipment to have; mine has carved up more than its share of fruit and slain some of the world's most nefarious boxes. For combating people, though? I'll stick to my carry gun.

If all else fails, I would consider using my knife as a weapon, but its not a good option unless you know what you are doing with them. I trained on them a bit when I studied martial arts, but that was too long ago for me to be up to speed on.

I've been in one knife fight in life and that was 20+ years ago in Naples Italy, all I can tell you is, you're gonna get cut. If you don't think so, then never get into a knife fight, mine was 42 stitches to my left arm, his was a lot more.:(

I carry a knife, mainly for utility reasons... but you can bet its in my mind when walking down a dark sidewalk in the bad part of town. Only problem with pulling a knife is it would prompt a perp to pull their illegal pistol and start shooting. Better than nothing I suppose and I'm sure it would inhibit an unarmed conflict.

I have had a knife pulled on me 2 times..I was lucky enough not to get cut both times.One guy got his collarbone and nose broken.. the other went to jail..no damage..
I love knives for only utility..I would never use a knife against a human being.Although I could make good tactical use of it.I don't know why but it seems that it's too primitive and not what the intended use was..
I only carry a knife if I'm Hunting,fishing,or some other wildlife venture.

About the only place I would rely on a knife as a weapon would be at work. Can't carry a handgun there and we're limited to a 2" blade. I keep a Kershaw Scallion as a last resort clipped inside my waistband. Can't lose the knife without knowing and it's in a spot where I can get to it quickly. Outside of work I carry a Kershaw Blur as a tool, seems there's no shortage of uses for a good blade. I like knives with good heavy blades since I tend to use them for everything including as a pry bar or chisel (which is why I don't send them back for repair when I break blades).

Stu

Well in states like NJ where a CCW is nearly impossible to get... a knife is the next best thing. Just hope the bad guy isn't packing.

I often carry a gun, but I always carry a knife. I have a Benchmade 710 and it can easily be used as a "defensive" weapon. I prefer to use a gun in a gun fight though. I am also one of those guys that sees my knife as a tool. I have carried my knife (closed) when walking in dark alleys before. The Benchmade 710 can easily be used as a kubaton when closed.

710.jpg

A knife available with your weak-hand is a tremendous asset if someone goes for your holster.

A clip-it type knife in the left pocket is a great backup to most right hand carry positions.

As Egor said in another post, if you get in a knife fight you are going to get cut. It will get very bloody very quickly. If the sight of a lot of blood bothers you, even if it is not your blood, you might want to reconsider the knife for defense. I saw a Sgt. LEO turn white & would have fallen if not helped. It is not pretty I can tell you.

I'm with Sixer and Skans - most of the time I have a 3-4" knife on me, but it's about as tactical as a teddy bear. Its there to cut whatever needs cutting, usually at work... boxes, 550 cord, apples, whatever. I only carry everywhere because I know I'll need it the day I leave it at home. I guess it could be used for SD, but that's not really what its there for.

Since I'm from Ohio, I'm not legally allowed to conceal a knife as a weapon, so I carry a backup gun instead. I do have a multi-tool, but I would never consider using it as a weapon (except perhaps as a last resort in defense of life), it is simply a tool.

Its odd to me, since the 2nd Amendment doesn't specify that it only applies to firearms, that Ohio law would restrict my rights as it pertains to my choice in the tools of self defense. Ohio trusts its law abiding citizens to carry a concealed handgun, but apparently not knives.

That is, for those that carry both a knife and a gun, how many times was the knife actually required in a SD situation?

Has anyone on this board actually needed to employ both, outside of being in combat?

It seems like having a knife in addition to a firearm is just an extra precaution – a ‘nice to have’, but probably not necessary. Thoughts?

I've carried a knife all my life. My current carry knife is a mid sized CRKT voyager.
I've never had any need to use it as a weapon, thank goodness!
A mid sized pocket knife is just handy to have, when was the last time you used a gun to open a C/D/ or D.D.V case:mad:

Started carrying a Swiss Army knife as a cub scout and have been carrying some kind of knife ever since - though like others have mentioned I look at it as more of a tool than a weapon. I can think of a lot of tools/random objects I would use before I reached for a knife in self-defense; but if that was the best I had available I guess I'd use it.

Yep, various types/brands at various times. Usually more than one on me at all times, including a Leatherman Kick.

Back