Knife in addition to gun?

vito

How many carry a knife as a back-up for a gun? I'm referring to some type of tactical knife in a sheath or holder as opposed to to a tiny penknife in your pocket. I guess there is no limit to what is carried, with some on this forum stating that they carry as many as three firearms, but in general I wonder about carrying something in addition to a concealed firearm.

I almost always have a Kershaw Tanto Blur assisted opener clipped to the top of my pocket, even when I don't have a gun. Occasionally, I'll also carry a Cold Steel Counter Tac I or Counter Tac II fixed blade on my belt in addition to a handgun.

I dont consider it a backup...but ... I do carry a smaller Gerber folding blade...I carry that as a tool tho.. not really for defense...tho could be used as such im sure.

Vito – I’ve always had a similar question. That is, for those that carry both a knife and a gun, how many times was the knife actually required in a SD situation?

Has anyone on this board actually needed to employ both, outside of being in combat?

It seems like having a knife in addition to a firearm is just an extra precaution – a ‘nice to have’, but probably not necessary. Thoughts?

Absolutely and You'll find that gun guys are usually knife guys as well. For dress, I also carry a Kershaw assited opener; Mod #1660CKT. for work, again, I carry the Kershaw as well as a Buck Odysey #181 C. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I dont consider any knife I carry to be "tactical" but I do carry a benchmade axis lock folder on my weak side. If I am not carrying a firearm, I carry the knife on my strong side.

I'm not old enough yet for concealed carry.
But like the other gentleman that posted above me.
I have a Gerber knife I almost always have on me.
Also the same, I use it as more of a tool than weapon.
If I need to use it as a weapon,
I have the ability to use it as such, and will if I am ever being attacked.

Better than no back up. I don't think I have been without a knife daily in years. Usually just clipped to my back pocket. Most my jeans have two wear marks on the back pocket. Can of skoal and my knife :D.

When I was incharge of firearms instructing at my department, i employed the thought of using a knife for weapons retention. For the smaller and weaker physically, if someone grabs your weapon while in your holster, I have seen video after video of cops going around and around in this scenario. So I taught, carrying a fixed blade of automatic knife on the weakside, to be used to cut the wrist or stab in the gut an assialant trying to disarm you. My thought was no matter the size, if you cut the wrist properly, you disable the tendons and nerves and they will let go. If someone grabs your weapon, deadly force is authorized.
This came in handy one night when I got in a scrap with a 6-8' 300lb brick mason, who didn;t want to go to jail. I remember hearing the stiching on my gun holster ripping, when he was trying to pull my gun out. I simply pulled out my CKRT bear claw, and cut him from his pelvis to his belly button, and then took a chunk out his wrist. To my surprise, he let go. He passed out when he saw his own blood.
Always carry a knife, and think outside the box.

I always carried a Buck folding knife, although I've never considered it a back-up to my handgun, mostly I use it to cut open hay bale strings

BTW: I just broke my last Buck 112 (had it for 26 years), any one have a suggestion for a good 3"-3 1/2" folding knife?

I like to carry a knife when the dress code allows. I purchased one of the best knives I own on Amazon.com. I would recommend this to anyone although I just looked on there and it is only $21 with free shipping. It is a double blade smith and wesson tactical. Check it out... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SPFRXETR0TZQ6PPYBDP

One of the best knives I ever owned. If you wear a boot it is great to carry as a boot knife. It comes with a heavy duty leather sheath.

I generally have a large Cold Steel Voyager cliped in my weak side pocket, mainly because I use it as a tool for cutting open boxes open, but there are many places where I cannot CCW for various reasons, so it beats nothing.

I carry a knife to cut things.....not people. I suppose some folks are comfortable fighting with a knife, but I'm not.

Back