Knife in a Gun Fight

The guy you have to worry about with a knife is not the guy you see coming. It is the knife you do not see coming.

You can't protect from everything. We can also be struck by lightning or a car driven by a texting driver crossing the center line.

In reality, if we are confronted by someone with a knife, or other weapon its in a mugging, car jacking, home invasion, type incident.

In these cases the bandit makes a demand and expects you to follow that demand.

In that case, you are at an advantage, you act, he has to re-act to your action.

Go back top the "clapping hands" drill I mentioned. You can easily get to the point where you can get your (training) gun out fast enough where he claps, ending up with the gun between his hands.

In this case the one clapping the hands KNOWS you are going to draw and still cant beat you. How can someone who isn't expecting you to draw going to beat you?

You can't protect from everything. We can also be struck by lightning or a car driven by a texting driver crossing the center line.

Well put, It is basically what I was saying. I was stabbed, We both went to the hospital. Only difference is he then went to Leavenworth.

Don't bring a gun or knife to a truck fight. If you watched the latest Justified, a DEA agent and crook square off for a Tueller drill shootout or stabfest.

At that point, they are both run over by another crook in a truck. Next week, Raylan and the crook face off in what they call the 21 foot rule.

Raylan is a shooting demon - my money is on him.

I love Justified. That old DEA agent won me over. "Three seconds to drop the gun" BOOM, was that really three seconds.

I like the show, but it made me cross Kentucky off my list of states I would live in.

Title is a bit confusing, but I always carry (firearm) on my right side, as I am right handed. I also rarely carry my knife around.....maybe I should though!

You cant be serious. Those same ladies would likely do far worse in their NATURAL HABITAT than in the confines of YOUR DEMONSTRATION where they have an idea of what is coming and what specifically they must do. I would love to see how they fare as they are fishing for their car remote in a busy Walmart parking lot or as they hold the door for a little old lady.

I think you miss the point entirely. Its not that a knife wielding person cant successfully win at 21 feet.. its the false premise that they will [always] win first strike at that distance.

And your assertion that it takes years of training to be good with a knife is ridiculous. A knife is simple tool. Even a novice can be lethal.

it takes years to be good at [any] fighting discipline.. fist, spear, sword, gun, knife ..whatever. You can call it ridiculous but unless you can qualify that assertion with something more than a quip, its not likely to hold much merit.

And your assertion that it takes years of training to be good with a knife is ridiculous. A knife is simple tool. Even a novice can be lethal.
it takes years to be good at [any] fighting discipline.. fist, spear, sword, gun, knife ..whatever. You can call it ridiculous but unless you can qualify that assertion with something more than a quip, its not likely to hold much merit.

How many people have been attacked and killed by a knife-wielding person? Now, how many of those knife-wielding people spent years training in the art of knife fighting?

Like I said before, anyone can be lethal when they pick up a knife. Or a gun. Or a spear.

Getting back to the original OP's question. My answer is yes, it makes sense to carry a knife or some other weapon on the weak side or shall I say opposite side of the gun hand.

This was driven home to me in a training video I seen where the student was being confronted by a man wanting money from him, at an ATM. The ATM was located in such a way that the student didn't have an escape route, he was cornered due to the layout of the ATM.

The student, did not attempt to draw his weapon (strong side from under a jacket) until the robber was close enough to quickly step forward and grab the student's hand and arm before the student could clear leather. The robber (instructor in this case) grabbed the students hand with both if his to control and disarm the student. The student's other hand was free. This is exactly where an off side weapon could save the day, and one reason I often carry a 6.5 inch Bowie knife in an inside the pants holster on my off side. All it takes is very gross motor skills to grab the handle of that Bowie Knife, and deliver a devastating cut or several in a split second, that can sever tendons, etc, while the bad guy is still trying to control my gun hand.

This is the question the OP was asking. He wasn't asking if he was better off bringing a knife to gun fight, as per the 21 foot rule, etc.

In this training video, I think the instructor was trying to show the problem with letting someone get too close before acting, and obviously the defender waited too long to draw, but we can get into these situations so easy, because, among other things, sometimes it hard to evaluate the danger, and we can't just go pulling on everyone that says hello and gets a little too close.

Last edited:
I'm reminded of a scene in "Raiders of the Lost Arc"

For one point,in Colorado,only handguns are authorized for concealed carry.Its likely different in other states,but checking is a good idea.

What I do not understand:

OK,I put a buck in a soda machine,I lean over to get my soda,and,a knife wielding crazy launches himself from 21 ft away....I got that part...so,if I have A Fairbairn or a Randall or a Texas Bowie,and a 1911,I'm supposed to(according to some) pull my knife because it is alledgedly faster?HMM,no,because then I'll be in a knife vs knife fight .I think I'll dial 1-911.Andsome level of vigilance needs to be up all the time.A bit like the Green Hornet could be jumped by Cato at any time.
Maybe sometimes if you are really wrapped up.like,surprise,a mountain lion lands on your back,is biting your head/neck and ripping youreyes out with his claws...its whatever your hand,any hand,can find and use.

No you don't pull your knife instead of your 1911, if someone pulls a knife on me, I intend to shoot him ASAP if the situation warrants.

Carrying a knife on the opposite side is the same principal as carrying a backup gun, almost. It's about having options if your first and best option (the 1911) gets compromised in some way.

What I carry, changes somewhat, based on the time of year, and the clothes I want to wear. Dressing around your weapons can be a pain at times.

Back