Kel-Tec prices: Are these normal or am I right to suspect something?

I still carry my P32 with a chrome slide, have for over 15 yrs. never failed to fire. I am trying to get used to my Taurus TCP .380 but can't find a good pocket holster.

I agree with those that say Kel tec is facing increased competition. My PF 9 was my favorite 5 years ago, but if I were buying today, there are more choices. Ruger EC9, SCCY (which I also own) among others. That said, I still like and carry the PF9 most of the time.

When I decided to not carry anything smaller than 9mm I took P3AT and LCP 380's to a Pawn Shop I use for FFL transfer of guns I got on Gunbroker.
I walked in with both pistols in their original box, the owner saw the boxes and said, You bringing that cheap stuff in here today. LOL
I traded both and some cash for a pistol in a decent caliber. ;)

CDW4ME
…. walked in with both pistols in their original box, the owner saw the boxes and said, You bringing that cheap stuff in here today. LOL
I traded both and some cash for a pistol in a decent caliber.
I would be embarrassed to tell people I sold/traded guns to a pawn shop, heck, even a regular gun dealer.

Basically you are getting 60% or less of his wholesale cost....while you could have sold them for significantly more $$$ on any gun forum.

In order of best way to get maximum value for your guns:
Online gun forum.....where you set the price
GunBroker or other auction site.....where you set the price
Consignment at gun dealer.....where you set the price
Sale to gun dealer
Trade value to gun dealer or pawnbroker......the worst of all.

Gun dealers and pawnbrokers make the most profit off of used firearms.

Not a gun show goes by where someone hasn't walked up and offers me a barely used Glock or other handgun that they paid retail at the local Academy....around $570 including sales tax. "I'll take $525 for it!" Imagine the look on his face when I tell him my dealer cost on the exact gun is less than $440 NEW! He'll go home and complain about dealers lowballing him, never understanding how business works.

Last edited:
Dogtown buying, trading or selling a gun at a local dealer or pawn shop is nothing to be embarrassed about. Leaving a little money on the table for the convenience, especially with someone known and trusted is OK with many of us. I, for one, have no interest worrying about making or saving the last nickel on a trade or sale. When I deal with my local guy if he gives me a fair deal and makes a buck doing it I'm good with that.

For the record, I will never buy or sell a firearm through a forum or auction site. Life is too short. With insurance, vehicles, firearms and many other things price is only one part of the deal. There are some who take great pride in getting the best price in all things. I've heard that described as 'penny wise and pound foolish.'

I would be embarrassed to tell people I sold/traded guns to a pawn shop, heck, even a regular gun dealer. You don't know the specifics of the deal.

Basically you are getting 60% or less of his wholesale cost....while you could have sold them for significantly more $$$ on any gun forum. This is an assumption and I do not do FTF sales with individuals; I've sold on GB and my auction(s) specifically state no FTF sales, if that cost me a few bucks, fine.

In order of best way to get maximum value for your guns:
Online gun forum.....where you set the price I traded for a price I agreed to, so I did set the price.
GunBroker or other auction site.....where you set the price I've bought and sold pistols on GB before
Consignment at gun dealer.....where you set the price
Sale to gun dealer
Trade value to gun dealer or pawnbroker......the worst of all. Yea, I did so bad I only got $300 for a used P3AT and LCP

Gun dealers and pawnbrokers make the most profit off of used firearms. IMO I could not have sold them on GB for more.

b7d.jpg

Obviously I'm completely naive. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The P32 is obsolete with the Magguts +1 extension that rides inside the factory LCP magazine.

No rim lock, better ammo all together, better ammo selection.

I did love my grey Hard Chromed P3AT in appearance though.

P3AT HC in grey next to my CM9:

Nj6cBoc.jpg

All of these "ALUMINUM" chassis 380's are all about the same. LCP any version, Keltec, Taurus etc, just subjective as to which one is better. Lousy sights, cheap build quality, none meant to handle much ammo down range.
Having owned many, I would say the best choice would be the one with the best customer service, one that will eventually replace the gun entirely after they start cracking frames, grips etc.
That said, at least with the Spectrum, you could change out the grip if cracked by yourself. If going the route of Aluminum then the LCP Gen 2 which I have seen selling as low as $159.00 would possibly be the best buy.

All of these "ALUMINUM" chassis 380's are all about the same. LCP any version, Keltec, Taurus etc, just subjective as to which one is better. Lousy sights, cheap build quality, none meant to handle much ammo down range.
Having owned many, I would say the best choice would be the one with the best customer service, one that will eventually replace the gun entirely after they start cracking frames, grips etc.
That said, at least with the Spectrum, you could change out the grip if cracked by yourself. If going the route of Aluminum then the LCP Gen 2 which I have seen selling as low as $159.00 would possibly be the best buy.
Given how cheap they are, yet what they allow people to do, namely carry a gun almost anywhere on them, cracking isn't that big an issue. Something like the Beretta Tomcat .32, which has known frame cracking issues, it's way too expensive to be replacing.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind an all steel .380 that's the same size as the LCP/TCP/P3AT, but not if it costs more than $500. About the only gun that comes close is the Bersa, but it's all aluminum.

Yeah, that's pretty close, I just don't like the trigger or those nubs that NAA calls sights. If you're gonna sell a heavy gun like that, at least make the trigger a DA/SA.

If NAA did that, I might buy one in .380, but if Ruger made an LCP II with a DA/SA trigger and in .32, I'd rather have that. With .32 it'll hold up, be very light, low recoil, decent sights... really the perfect pocket pistol.

I shot the P3AT, Pico, and LCPII back-to-back-to-back and very much preferred the LCPII.

The P3AT was traded at my LGS towards a different gun. The owner handles all of my FFL transfers, often for free. If/when I decide I don't like a certain gun, I hold onto it until he has something I want, then I do a trade with him. I know that he makes good money on both ends of the trade, but that's fine with me. I like to do my part to help keep him in business.

My Beretta 84 is a much more sturdy pistol than my LCPII, but it also won't fit into the breast pocket of my denim jacket. Each of the two pistols has its specific niche, and each fills it well.

I assure you the end user can change the grip on the LCP/P3AT.

I know this because the grey P3AT I posted just a few above started life as black.

And I'm not totally mechanically inclined...

The all steel Kevin/Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle went off the market a few years back because no one bought it.
They were also expensive, quite thick, had a one finger grip, and the barrel was so short no hollow points at the time would expand. With the fluted all copper or copper/polymer bullet we have today it wouldn't be as big an issue.

I think the biggest reason they didn't sell is because when someone is at a gun shop and is looking at .380's, they buy the cheapest, smallest one they can find.

I really like my P11 .. I use flush 12rd magazines... Yep 12+1 9mm .. Trigger long and stout .. very similar to a good DAO J frame trigger .... But , I cut my teeth on DA revolvers ...
I have a belt clip installed.. I carry it IWB appendix...

300tzbc.jpg

I have ran around 650 rounds through this pistol.... 100% realiable

Truth Tellers.......The NAA .380 is like a grenade going off in your hand when firing with the original grips,
KelTecs or LCP are MUCH more comfortable because of the locked breeches.

Back