Is your Gun Store Overpricing Things?

Does Your Gun Store Price Gouge?

• Yes

Votes: 42 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 32 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The can of Unique was bought at Mahoning Milling & Gun Sales in Punxsutawney, PA. Grices & Bobs Army/Navy of Clearfield, did not have any in stock, but when they do, their price is similar.

A few weeks ago it seemed fairly certain to me, we were destined to have a President that no matter what she did in reality, would drive another panic shortage. So, the local Sportsmans had 8 lb. Jugs of Benchmark for $198.00. Since I like to buy local, and with hazmat rip off fees if bought from online vendors the price difference was negligable, a jug went home with me. Today we did some Christmas shopping at that store, and now the price is $189. Dang politics anyway!

I ate my words

I said that Secretary Clinton would almost surely win. However, I couldn't reconcile the overwhelming support for Mr. Trump with what the media was showing. I've lived through many election cycles and I had never experienced personally knowing that so many people supported one candidate over the other when it comes to the Trump/Clinton battle. Seemed like Mr. Trump would win but the news kept saying otherwise... doesn't matter at this point anymore anyway.

Now a company that researched properly might have gotten it right. But I suspect some outfits stocked up a little

I don't consider it gouging if you have a choice to buy elsewhere. If you are forced to buy from them, and then they over charge, that's gouging.

If you are forced to buy from them

Exactly HOW are you FORCED? Are they holding a gun to your head or your kids as hostages? NO one is forcing anything; if you willing walk into their business and willingly purchase something at their asking price, then there was a meeting of the minds, an offer and acceptance, and no gouging.

So, if they are the only ones with the item you "need", what is your alternative?

Walk out and do without?

I suppose if you live somewhere where there is a choice, and/or you have figured out that access to the internet is a good thing (strange as it may seem, there are still a lot of computer illiterate people out there, and lot of them are around here), but around here, there really isnt much choice, unless of course youre willing to drive 75-100 miles to one or two other places that might come close. Assuming you even know of them.

So when the prices more than double overnight, and on stock that is already "on hand", and you arent someone who understands that you should be buying all the time, so you arent caught short, what do you do when you really "need" something, and they are your only choice?

Yup, you pay the gouge and grumble. Its that, or do without.

So when the prices more than double overnight, and on stock that is already "on hand",

Never saw gas skyrocket overnight over nothing more than some "expert's" opinion or a rumor? Retail pricing has to cover replacement costs, regardless of the original price paid.

There is nothing in the LGS one "needs"; it is all about "wants". Last time I saw, UPS and Fedex deliver just about everywhere and the USPS will do the rest except for hazmat.

Driving 75-100 miles? I do that just to shoot sporting clays - each way. Just because someone is computer illiterate, or doesn't plan well, does not make it gouging from the store owner.

I posted a link about gouging earlier in this thread - go watch it, it's about 5 minutes and explains it very easily.

I used to drive 75 miles one way for groceries, pharmacy, car parts and decent ammo. Did it until 2013. Never even cared what gas prices were, gas expenditures for any trip near or far is still the cheapest part of the journey. The average mileage of vehicles at time of replacement were mostly 300k. Some less some more.

A shopping trip just has to be planned a little bit to maximize your effort. Don't just drive for one thing.

I'm jealous of anyone that has good gun shops in their area. I have adapted, and learned to buy, sell, and trade mostly with individuals and an occasional online purchase.

I thought they all did.

Boxes of ammo are usually $1-2 higher than online, but of course many places online charge for shipping.

Primers are $5 more per thousand than online.

Guns are always overpriced.

I visit two LGS near where I live (it's 30 miles to the closest one). One generally charges MSRP for their guns and their other stuff is priced pretty fairly. I boought 3 guns there before i found the other gun shop. I have bought my last 4 or 5 from the other one. They discount all of their guns and occasionally put them on sale for less than I can find them online. I bought a Mossberg rifle there this week for less money than I could find it anywhere online. Their normal retail prices are generally more than online but less than online plus FFL fees. The only gun I did not buy from them in recent years was one that they could not get. They didn't have it and their supplying warehouses didn't have. I had to order it through Gallery of Guns and pick it up 40 miles from my house. I appreciate a successful family run business that has my chosen store in Virginia and the parent store 50 miles away in Tennessee.

If it's not that far off, the convenience factor can overwhelm moderately higher prices.

Brownell's had Black Friday $4 Tapco AK mags. Another seller had them for $5, but in black.

My local shop has them for $35.95.

Maybe I should sell him magazines instead :p.

OSBORNK; are you speaking of Mahoney's?

Yes. From all I have seen, they are good folks. The new gun prices are firm and the employees cannot deviate from them (at least in Abingdon). I misread their sale ad last week and got all of the paperwork done when another employee mentioned that the gun was on a one day sale the next day. They couldn't adjust the price so they laid it back and I picked it up the next morning. The rifle I bought has a MSRP or $375 (or $395) and they sell normally sell it for $314.99 and it was on sale for $259.99. They also had big boxes of Blazer Brass 115 gr FMJ in 9mm for $9.69 and boxes of Federal Game Shok 22 lr 38 gr hollowpoint for $2.99 per box or $29.90 per brick sitting in the middle of the floor.

Abingdon-Johnson City

I always stop in on my way to the VA. Great selections on firearms (thin on single actions). Always lots of reloading supplies (even powders). Never been to the Abingdon store. Never seem to get north of the new Cabella's.

I always stop in on my way to the VA. Great selections on firearms (thin on single actions). Always lots of reloading supplies (even powders). Never been to the Abingdon store. Never seem to get north of the new Cabella's

I shopped at Mahoney's before Bass Pro and Cabellas were built. I went to both of them a few times (my daughter lives 2 miles from Bass Pro) but I didn't find any reason to drive the additional 12 miles to Cabellas or the extra 17 miles to Bass Pro to pay higher prices and talk with clueless sales people. Bass Pro wanted more for a used S&W pistol than I paid for the identical pistol new at Mahoney's.

My local is over priced for the most part. They don't want gun guys as customers. They want upper middle class suburbanites with too much money to look around and who are willing to pay high prices to shop in a clean shop that is a ways from the city. Gun counter is busy, ranges are full, everybody looking all preppy, nobody can shoot for crap! I have offered to buy my last couple from them. When I say the price, they sometimes laugh at me, buy often I have hit buy before they stop laughing.

I actually think people look down on my for being able to chew the center out of my cheap targets at speed! I use it as a winter warm up. I know, I should be training in the cold like my enemy! Honestly, I think my enemy is more likely at all he mall keeping warm!

Really, I could care less if my lgs goes out of business, except I like the visual of a high class range/shop for all to see. It is a positive message and that is why I patronize this shop. I want that message there along he roadside. I bring all my newb's there. It is very comfortable for newbs. I even sold a few guns for them!

Still, yes, to me prices are high.

I went to the range today to shoot, I'm looking to buy a .45 next so I asked what they were charging for a box of cheap FMJ. The answer, $32. I said "FOR 50?!" :eek:

^ To be fair 9miller, most gun stores charge a high price for ammo. I've not been to one that doesn't. I understand they can't compete with Walmart's low price, but don't charge me $50 for a 100 rds of Winchester White Box .40 S&W. Not when I can drive 5 mins down the road and buy it at Walmart for $15-18 less.

Back